MJTele Custom Aged Finishes

Discussion in 'Fender' started by diceman, Apr 24, 2010.

1. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Matt and Mark Jenny at MJTele (father/son team) do a GREAT job with custom finishes at very affordable prices.

A full kit with EVERYTHING you need for your Strat or Tele will run you $800. :shock: Add pups and guts to taste.

They'll do whatever you want for the finish - I went with Firemist Gold with HEAVY checking, but light on the actual "wear." The neck I went with a gently broken in finish and light checking.

The finishes are perfect. The tuner aging is fantastic. As is the pickguard. Bridge/knobs/pup covers are very good as well. I'm not sure what brand the hardware is, but it is decent enough stuff. Particularly for a guy like me who decks his trem anyway! :D

You do need to install your nut, which took me about 1/2 a day. :laugh2: Everything else just slaps together. I had to do a light sanding to get my neck in the pocket - nothing major. You do need to drill ALL HOLES aside from the six bridge mounting screws.

I went with Klein S8 pickups in mine - they're his David Gilmour set.

Bottom line - you can get a custom finished and custom aged American made Strat copy for about 1/2 of what a new AVRI costs. And to be honest, this guitar blows my old AVRI clean out of the water.

My photobucket account is maxed for the month - so have yourself a look at my video!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0fPJ5SBJx8]YouTube - MJTele Strat w/ Klein Pickups[/ame]

toppsseller, splinteh, Keef and 2 others like this.
  2. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

I've seen their stuff on the intershits and often thought it looked good value. :thumb:

3. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

It really is. You've got to put some work in to it, but their "kit" is an excellent value. They also have very nice aged Klusons at a very good price (like $45 or 50 I think it was). Individual refinishes are somewhat pricey, but you can easily come in under $1k total on one of these kits, complete.

4. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

One more vid:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHYPCVM5Ikc]YouTube - MJTele Strat / Klein S-8 Pickups / Vox ACTV4[/ame]

5. WhippingPost

WhippingPost Senior Member

Fantastic! Beautiful guitar, Dice! I want my first Strat to be a two-color sunburst (a-la Brownie), and have been deciding whether to build myself or flip the money for a Rist version. Thanks for helping make that choice a little harder. :)

6. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Ooooh, nothing touches Roman's guitars. That is the route I'd go without question if it is an option. Both of my Rists outplay anything else I own. That, and Roman is a hell of a good guy to deal with. A Rist Strat is probably in my future as well.

That said, for aged/relic'ed finishes - these guys at MJTele are doing AMAZING work at a very affordable price.

7. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

That sounds AWESOME, Dice. And for the record, I don't owe you 43 cents, and your tuna sammich is in the mail.

8. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

I played a Rist strat once only once then he took it away. I cried. It was a moving experience. I got to play his actual one wich in all honesty was the best set of single coil to lumber sound I have heard in a long time.

Sorry did not mean to jack the thread. Do they do aged oly white.

w.izzy likes this.
  9. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

10. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

They'll do whatever you want!

AND

Roman often talks about "his favorite Strat" - I hope to be able to try it out someday as well. I'd probably just end up tossing the rest of my Strats in a dumpster after that, though! :laugh2:

11. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Thanks buddy! When I sold the Mustang, I bought a Tubescreamer pedal for consolation. (in the first vid).

When I sold the 335, I bought that little 4watt Vox for consolation. It sounds great! As do these Klein pickups, which I've had set aside for a couple of months now waiting for this project to come together.

I can't just "get rid" of stuff without at least replacing it with something small.

I'm strange.

And, I look forward to getting that Tuna Sammich. I suppose that the $0.43 you owe me went toward postage.

12. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

I do the same thing, don't worry. I really like the sound of that VOX.

And yes, the 43 cents went to postage, I sent it media mail or whatever... hopefully it doesn't get eaten by some fat dude in the PO.

13. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Media mail is slow. :(

If they ask, I'll tell them it is a tuna book - so you don't get in trouble for sending non media via media mail.

14. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Media mail is also cheap. And if they ask, I'm telling them Dennis sent it using my name. Bastard.

15. aidb

aidb Senior Member

Loved the vids Dice. Great demo. Your Strat has a great natural acoustic quality that really sings. She looks superb. The blender really gives one a huge variety of sounds. Thanks for sharing. :D

16. WhippingPost

WhippingPost Senior Member

17. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Thanks aidb! And, that lil' Vox is pretty sweet!

18. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Thanks, I really needed more GAS!

19. Jason

Jason Senior Member

That black Jazzmaster they've got on Ebay is driving me freaking insane!!!

20. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I could see a Jazzmaster in my future...