Mira Review

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by FrankiePRS, Oct 1, 2007.

1. FrankiePRS

FrankiePRS V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I hesitated in posting this here, but what the hell...

The Mira is badassed. It's the real deal - An all-mahogany workhorse. American-built, set-neck, and priced at 1500 street dollars. Stoptail only, 24 frets and a REAL regular-carve neck -- it feels just like the early regular carves; nice and rounded - you can really dig in. I fell in love as soon as I picked it up.

Comparisons to the SG and Junior are unavoidable when you grab the Mira, but all in a good way - a VERY good way. It's a thinner body than we're used to on a PRS, and it's light -- but it feels really solid, a lot like an old Junior or Special. The pickups are new, and they're underwound -- very articulate with a lot of mid-range punch.

I've already had a tonal epiphany due to this guitar, which I think is pretty amazing...

Friday night, at the PRS factory event, while Derek St. Holmes belted out "Hey Baby", Paul Smith was playing an ME on the left side of the stage, and Mike Ault was playing a Mira (Vin Cherry, I think) on the right side. Paul soloed, then Mike took a turn. Oh. My. God. Tonally, the Mira just stomped that ME. The ME sounded great, don't get me wrong here. But the ME was a highly sophisticated sniper rifle, and that Mira was a friggin' M-1 Abrams tank, firing live rounds. It cut through the mix like a Pre-Standard, and if the ME was singing, the Mira was screaming. Can you tell I was impressed?

Besides some really nice trans-finishes, it comes in a bunch of opaque colors that just look great in person, and will kill under stage lights. Alas, Pearl White isn't one of them. But I still want one, and it's been a long time since I've really wanted a new PRS model bad enough to actually try to figure out a way to raise the cash.

It's the anti-corksniffer, baybee. A working man's guitar. Those who buy guitars for the pretty tops ain't gonna get it. But here, finally, is a guitar that might sway some real players, and it will take any other 1500-dollar American-built guitar out to the woodshed, and KICK ITS ASS.

[​IMG]

2. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

Fell asleep under the car again, I see. That oil just WON'T come out of your skin if you keep it up.

3. loneguitar

loneguitar Senior Member

Man if that is what does it for ya then God Bless, I'll stick with my 33s and LP

4. MIDNIGHT

MIDNIGHT V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

thumbs up! :applause: :D

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

:rofl:

:hippie:

5. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Hey What ever trips yer trigger man , pull it till ya run empty and reload it again:slash:

6. FrankiePRS

FrankiePRS V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

lololol.... i think you're referring to my wedding ring (it's a tattoo) :)

7. Shawn Fate

Shawn Fate Senior Member

I would really like to see one done in white.

8. Markster

Markster V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Hey Frankie,
    Do you think PRS will be offering the Mira with a 22 fret W/F neck in the future?
    :fingersx:

9. WBPickups

WBPickups Guest

Very cool Frankie! I think Mira is great! A true classic from PRS that truly represents their history! I am looking forward to seeing them! :applause:

10. WBPickups

WBPickups Guest

I know I can search this out but I am lazy.... Do you know the scale length?

11. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

25 inch.