Minimalism in the Signal Chain

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rocco Crocco, May 13, 2017.

1. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I have become very used to loading up on effects in my signal chain. I always start with a compressor first, and making sure I have reverb and delay at the end of the chain. These effects are, for the most part, always "on".

Yesterday and today I was messing around with "just an amp" in the chain. I did add distortion/overdrive onto some amps, and hi and low cut EQ is necessary on the Helix, but nothing else other than that. It amazed me how much nuance in the tone is present with no effects in the chain.

All the Marshalls and the Soldano are just jumping out of the speakers! The "Line 6 Epic" amp model (easily my favorite hi gain amp in Helix) is just crushing! I am going to use these new presets at rehearsal with the band to see how they sit in a live mix, but at home they are fun as hell.

Pop1655 and Donal like this.
  2. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

it's always a good idea to play dry for a while, keeps the chops up!

3. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

YES....more is rarely better!

4. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I'm the opposite in that I rarely use any effects at all.

lunchbox likes this.
  5. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

SG -> Tuner -> Crybaby -> Xotic clean boost -> Orange CR120H.

6. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

What I have found is that you can utilise the Amps, Speakers, etc. much better as in getting them to an optimal volume/gain setting and then I put a volume pedal behind the speaker if I want to bring down volume and keep the sound. I found I was using less effects and still had great sounds.

I changed all mine last week to the above (except my AC/DC sound).

7. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Yup! This is exactly how I run my Axe FX. Amp and Cab, VERY rarely I might add a reverb set to a small room/studio verb. But then again, this is how I ran my analog rig as well. IMO Even on a analog rig the more crap you start to add into the signal, the more saturated, and indistinct the tone starts to become. I like to use FX as special FX rather than constants.