Mini Pedal Gripe

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by mikejr, Jul 10, 2017.

1. mikejr

mikejr Member

Mini pedals are often used to save space, so why don't they stick to an input/output jack orientation strategy? For instance, my EP booster input/output is low/high, TC minis are high/low, etc...

Granted there's a minimum of space needed to cabling as well as accurate foot activation (without hitting multiple pedals at once), this just seems like such an obvious thing.

2. sonar

sonar Senior Member

It is kind of annoying, but in a way so is the whole mini pedal phenomena.

Often you lose the battery option, while not really gaining that much real estate. Then there's the tap dance you have to do onstage so you don't inadvertently stomp on another pedal at the same time, while still playing guitar. Not fun if you're a Dr. Martens guy.

I'm all for saving real estate, but it doesn't necessarily equate into simplifying things. It makes you appreciate the proven MXR footprint that much more.

Rich likes this.
  3. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

Pointy toed cowboy boots. Just sayin'. ;)

4. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

sorry, its dm's all they way!

the only minis that i have or use regularly are set-and-forget. in fact the only mini i currently have on my board is a hof reverb, and that stays on permanently.

i cant imagine anything worse than trying to use a rack of mini pedals all jammed up against one another on a dark stage.

Rich likes this.
  5. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I like mini pedals. I have three and mini wah. They're cheaper (the mini wah was not; more than a regular Cry Baby) but I don't gig. I don't really need a board, but there ya go. All nine plus a Trio on an 18" x 12" space.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  6. Victek

Victek Senior Member

I don't know if it's typical, but the one mini I have didn't come with a power brick and it wasn't noted on the product page. I already had a one-spot so it wasn't a problem, but it's important to know whether or not a part is usable as purchased. Also the minis typically only have one full size knob; the others are just posts so not convenient to adjust on a gig, etc. The upside is they tend to be less expensive and not a bad choice for bedroom playing.

7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I luv my Joyo Ironman mini pedals. Best flanger I've tried (four in total), since ditching an EHX DEM. Best envelope filter I've tried (three in total) since ditching a Mini Q-Tron. The acoustic simulator was sent to me by mistake, but I bought it anyway. Now, when our band covers Band On The Run we can have the all-important acoustic guitar part, without the need for one. I'm sold! All are based on another pedal design so the sound quality is great. The hidden controls never get moved while my board is in transit; I'm a set it and forget it type, anyway. As for tap-dancing, I use a loop-strip, so no problem there.

Highly recommended!

8. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Although I find the phenomena a little annoying I still have a few mini's in the gear closet. A good pedal is a good pedal.

I just don't find mini's all that convenient on a stuffed pedalboard. And as the OP stated, the I/O orientations being all over the place, you're not necessarily saving room compared to a MXR size box.

9. northernguitarguy

One of the things I did not like about the MXR Micro Flanger is the placement of the power supply jack so close to the input jack. I can remember it being a PITA with some of my board configurations.

Rich likes this.
  10. sonar

sonar Senior Member

I agree.

11. northernguitarguy

Great sounding pedal, regardless!

12. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

I'm digging the minis. Now I just need to figure out how to fit a Rockman in a mini case. :lol:

13. northernguitarguy

One thing I can not attest to is durability of these Joyo Ironman pedals. Are they like a BOSS? I dunno. I suspect the switches to go first, but I hope I minimize the wear and tear by using a loop strip.

14. Telechamp

Telechamp Senior Member

I pretty much just use my mini's on my practice board. But yeah, they're getting smaller and smaller - especially the nano's..

I ordered a nano chorus for my practice board the other day - needed one for that board and didn't want to break the bank - and when it came in, I was shocked at how tiny this thing was! Sounds real good, though.

Made my mini Ditto looper look huge..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017