MIM Strats very close to USA Strats...(imo)

Discussion in 'Fender' started by scozz, Nov 25, 2017.

1. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

I though maybe you or someone else might recognize it. Its fairly famous in here...

[​IMG]

I Break Things and mudface like this.
  2. DarrellV

That body gut shot looks just like mine.... So these things came with foil shielding from the factory?

I figured the last owner added it.... Sweet!

I wanted those Jeff Becks really bad! I was looking really hard for something different that had a sound I could love. Those seemed like the ticket. But expensive, so I kicked it down the road.

I took a blind chance on the 57's but they sound really good. Yes, they will hum, but the S-1 does offer humbucker settings.... And they were cheap!

I Break Things and scozz like this.
  3. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I did...but I just thought you got your patent# mixed up. :confused: Also I didn't want to open up a whole new can of worms that you were obviously trying to do! :D

I Break Things and DarrellV like this.
  4. DarrellV

One thing I really would recommend for MIM owners is to consider swapping out with a set of these!

These are night and day above the OEM tuners and I have never regretted the changeout.

The locking part is nice, but these also have a lower gear ratio which makes fine tuning much easier.

I found with the OEM's as I got close to the mark I would have to apply just finger pressure on the tuner to get it on target, or it would spin past it.

These I can crank right on them and they come up slow and steady.

[​IMG]

I put white perloid caps on mine for effect! Sweet!

These right here..

[​IMG]

I Break Things and scozz like this.
  5. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I know, right? like $200 bucks loaded in the guard.

That was probably the biggest reason I starting bidding on this Strat in the first place!

6. DarrellV

Who? Little 'ol me?!

[​IMG]

I Break Things likes this.
  7. DarrellV

From what I've seen 200 bucks with a guard is a steal! I've seen the pups go for more than that....

Good job!:thumb:

scozz and I Break Things like this.
  8. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Absolutely agree...they just work and feel great! Very precise.

9. DarrellV

D'oh! Just read OP! Didn't realize you already had them! :doh:

I also changed out the bridge for the big block so we are close tone cousins, except for the pups...

Only thing I really didn't like about the mod was I had it done at my friendly local music store and the didn't put my old springs back in.

The new ones a much stiffer than the old ones that I had grown used to.

Hank is harder to play now......Not happy...:mad2:

scozz likes this.
  10. DarrellV

You can use a UPS store too. That's how I will most likely send them. Just a thought.

11. mudface

mudface Senior Member

do i get any of that patent money?................or is it mud in my face?.............:rofl:

I must of got lucky with MIJ Squier,.....intonates like a champ and rock solid for the nine years i have owned it...........I also have a Fender Custom Shop EC Blackie Strat.

Sorry Darrell got no freakin pics of it ............YET.........:naughty:

scozz and I Break Things like this.
  12. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

I actually put those on my Strat hoping it would stay in tune a little better since I float the bridge. I haven't really noticed any improvement there, but string changes are so much easier. I have a problem keeping my Strat in tune. I knock it out of tune quite a bit doing bends and crazy vibrato stuff. I also play like my pick is a hammer. Yanking on the whammy bar usually puts it close to back in tune, but I go a little mad trying to tune up and keep it there with the floating bridge.

mudface likes this.
  13. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I don't think locking tuners stay in tune much better than non-locking ones, maybe only slightly. If strung properly, quality non-locking tuners stay in tune just about as well imo.

14. mudface

mudface Senior Member

On my Strats I use five springs with the spring hook screwed all the way to the wood, the trem is flat on the body with enough tension to pull it through the wood,:D......but when you wiggle the bar i can get some awesome effects and sounds that it's unreal.......just don't let that bar slip anywhere near your face (Hendrix) or it might break your jaw...........:laugh2:.....

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  15. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

I like to have it floating so I can add a little vibrato to whole chords, but the tuning issue bothers me. It doesn't go massively out of tune, but that little bit out of tune sound bothers me.

mudface likes this.
  16. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Yes, unless you have a locking bridge like a Floyd we have learned to live with this issue. We have gotten spoiled by our Les Paul's:cool:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  17. DarrellV

When I picked that MIM beater up at the store I couldn't believe the setup it had on it! It played better than my MIA right off the bat. I was hooked.

I never even plugged it in, I just played it acoustically in the store and I could tell even unplugged, that there was something special going on with it.

It rang out clear and true all the way up the neck. It was loud enough to easily hear it. There was no, zero, pulsing in the neck due to dissonance in my chording. And no fret out even with the low action.

What's more is it is very forgiving of tuning tolerance. By the time I hear it, or sometimes just routine checking has shown it to be several cents or more out of tune on a string or two. But I can play right through it, its amazing to me, because on most guitars just a slip out of tune on any string and I can hear it and it bugs me.

18. DarrellV

I took all the string trees off mine. The Ping tuners are staggered so that's all I use.

It helps, but I find the screw binding friction on the bridge to be more troublesome. I always have to give the bar a couple good wangs before I try to tune to get it settled.... Just the nature of the beast.

19. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Yes, we have the same Strat tuning behavior, and I would like to add to this is, ...really stretching new strings. I don't get very wild with the trem and the little I use it I get a feel for how far I can go with it. The wild stuff I use the trem for, I have a Kramer with Old 80s type Floyd that has proven bulletproof.

20. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I deck, but don't block, the trem on my Strats. If I want warble on the chords, I'll give 'er a shake with my left hand.

I Break Things, DarrellV and mudface like this.