MIM Strats very close to USA Strats...(imo)

Discussion in 'Fender' started by scozz, Nov 25, 2017.

1. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I've played many MIM Strats and a number of USA Strats lately, and they are very, very similar in feel and sound imo. Not anything like the difference of Epi LPs and Gibson LPs. To me Epi LPs sound similar to their Gibson counterpart, but the feel and playability are quite different. Now I understand this Strat thing is a general conclusion... and if I played hundreds of MIM and USA Strats I might have a different opinion. But I think if one plays a number of MIM Strats they will find quite a few, if not more, that compare favorably.

Anyone else think that MIM Strats are a great deal compared to the USA version?

This brings me to the deal I got on a MIM Strat on Ebay two years ago. A 2015 Oly White Strat with a dark rosewood fingerboard in mint condition, (not a mark on it anywhere!) with a HSC... with some great upgrades.

Fender locking tuners, upgraded large block vintage Strat bridge, and a Jeff Beck Hot Noiseless loaded pickguard...

All for $425!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lakeburst, Who, mudface and 2 others like this.
  2. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Member

I've been a MIM strat lover since 1994.... that's back when they put vintage frets on the boards, and I've been a fan of vintage frets ever since.

I was never a fan of the American standard necks (before they changed the name).

3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

sweet guitar :thumb: MIMs definitely are nice, you get alot of guitar for your money

4. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I have a Made In Japan 1985 Squier Strat with EMG upgrade, it came stock 3 piece body, large block heavy vibrato bridge. These were some of the best Squiers ever made.

Your MIM Fender is excellent,... for about the same money i have in my Squier. IMG_0388.JPG IMG_0390.JPG IMG_0393.JPG

Thumpalumpacus and scozz like this.
  5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I had an MiM back in the early 90s. Sold it off.

I'l be buying another one here soon. The only change I'd probably consider is putting Texas Specials in the neck and bridge, and wiring the bridge through the tone pot. The ceramic pickups on a stock Mexi sound a little harsh to my ears.

dsmcl77 and mudface like this.
  6. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Sweet Squire muddy...I hope I haven't overstepped my limits with you @mudface by calling you "muddy". I know that @DarrellV refers to you in this way, and I wouldn't want to take any liberties with a possible patent that Darrell may have with you on this! :D

I certainly wouldn't want to get Darrell mad at me!! 'ahem' :fingersx:

DarrellV and mudface like this.
  7. mudface

mudface Senior Member

You can call me anything you want @scozz , just don't call me late for dinner:D

I have to admit i like guitars, it doesn't matter what they are multi grand custom shop to multi dollar cheapos...........A good guitar is a good guitar!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 8:03 PM
    Skit, PierM, Thumpalumpacus and 2 others like this.
  8. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD! I'm a sercarstic BOT! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Ha! That looks almost like my (former) POS MIA Strat!

scozz and mudface like this.
  9. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I agree completely! :thumb: On both counts!

mudface likes this.
  10. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD! I'm a sercarstic BOT! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Pat. No. 2737843

you owe me 47 million dollars!

[​IMG]

mudface likes this.
  11. scozz

scozz Senior Member

DarrellV likes this.
  12. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

My MIM Strat is my #1. It feels and sounds incredible. I'd never consider going up to an American Strat. The price difference just isn't worth it. Honestly, the only thing I would consider changing on my MIM Strat is going for noiseless pups because the hum can be a bit annoying sometimes.

Speaking of which... Anyone here have recommendations for noiseless single coil Strat pups and a guide on how to change them?

13. DarrellV

Heck, while I'm here I just noticed the topic!

It just so happens I have one of those MIM bundles of joy I can contribute to the thread!

My lucky day or what!?

Unknown year, someones project guitar before I got it.

Tan lines around the neck and ugly wood...

But it plays better than my American Deluxe hands down....

Go figure! That really irritated me for quite a while that after plunking down a grand for the real deal Americano Strat, that I'd be really disappointed in feel and sound.

Then comes this Mexicaster (supposed POS) for 350 that blows it out of the water....

Yeah, salt in the old wound it was!

Don't laugh! @truckermde gets it! Look in my sig! The toanez are in the cat stickerz!

mudface and I Break Things like this.
  14. I Break Things

The tone is in the cat stickers.

mudface and DarrellV like this.
  15. DarrellV

You can have mine! :D

OEM Noiseless Fender. Came in my AD Strat! I hate 'em. But to each his own. :dunno:

You can have 'em 'cause I like you! How's that for a sweet deal? :h5:

Membership has it's priviledges, eh? ,LOL! :rofl:

mudface and I Break Things like this.
  16. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I'll have to check that patent# before I mail you a check...not that I don't trust you of course! :D

But even a figure that's just a rounding error, (like that one), must be verified! :fingersx:

17. I Break Things

Really? I'd love that. Just let me check with my wife. She's really paranoid about giving out information online. I might have to get a P.O. box eventually to do own pal stuff with my online friends. :laugh2:

18. DarrellV

Yeah, former because I put it through some changes and because I had to correct a rather serious factory defect! :wow:

When it was new to me I stopped playing it after a bit because I couldn't bond with it. To many annoying little things kept popping up.

One was the low E string simply refused to not buzz and rattle unless it was a mile in the air!:mad:

Another was it would not intone with any degree of reliability.:mad2:

I have been blessed (or cursed) with a very good set of ears and I simply cannot abide dissonance in my guitars!

I need them to be as tight as Molly Hatchet in Flirtin with Disaster! :jam:

Those chords are like a solid wall of sound..

It takes me weeks into months and sometimes a year to fine tune and hammer in my intonation to where I am happy with it and I forget about it.

So this thing wobbling all over the charts was just not going to work for me. Learned a new term during the ordeal too, Stratitis! :eek2:

Then there was the dry ice picky sound from the noiseless pups. Glassy, yes, but brittle.

I bought and had an S1 switch put into it hoping that would help give me something usable.

Nope.

Then one day I come into the room and its layin on the bed like you see in the pic
    But I come at it from the tail end this time and as I'm looking at it I notice that all the strings are moved closer to one side than the other up around the 22nd fret!

Crooked neck? On an Amer Deluxe?! :wtf:

Of course the light went on and hope sprang up again that I might finally salvage this thing so I set to fixing the neck only to find it wouldn't move...

The neck pocket was tight and exact, there was no wiggle room for me to set it straight.

So that tells me it was routed that way from the factory. $1000 American guitar routed wrong. I hear the guy used to work for Gibson....:shock:

So a little chiseling and sanding later I got the neck aligned properly and for the first time things were looking up.

The string height and intonation issues began to get better.

About this time my buddy George joined our little group so I lent it to him to play as there was still the sound of it and I already had my MIM with cat toanez!

He loved it! Being an acoustic player his whole life but growing up listening to surf guitars he always loved the music, but never owned an electric to play them on.

My buddy George with my MIA with noiseless and S1 and earlier purple pick guard!
    You can also see the steel saddles in the bridge. This was very close to the beginning.
    I later switched to Graphtech saddles in another attempt to dampen the harshness of its sound.
    IMG_5075.JPG

A year or so ago when I did my Mexicaster upgrade that I posted in here, I decided to use the leftover humbucker from my MIM (it came with it and I loved the sound of it) in my MIA Strat. George always liked the sound of it in my MIM so he was happy to do the mod. But while I had it apart, what about those noiseless???

So as luck would have it I pickup up a used set of 57-63's for half price and swapped them out with the other 2 noiseless.

I'll tell you what... he almost had to pry the guitar out of my fingers to get it back!

The dreamy, glassy tonez that came out of that thing in combination with the S-1 switch were better than my MIM!!!!

And the S-1 worked now. It did very noticeable and musically useful tone changes.

I reluctantly gave it back to him after making him beg for a little bit :naughty:

You can see the Graphtec saddles here..

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 9:35 PM
    I Break Things and mudface like this.
  19. DarrellV

Understood. I'm the same way.

You can pm me the deetz when you get it figured out.

They are N3 Noiseless FWIW...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 9:11 PM
    I Break Things likes this.
  20. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Man that's exactly how I feel!

I highly recommend the Jeff Beck Noiseless I've got in mt Strat. They sound great, imo. They retain most of the characteristics of regular Strat PUs, minus the hum, they are completely quiet!! All of the other Strats I've had in the past, (all USA btw) were regular stock Strat pickups, and the hum drove me nuts! This is the first one I've had with them. There might be some subtle differences from Strat PUs that are not noiseless, but to me, the trade-off is completely worth it.

Mine came loaded in the pickguard with the 5 position switch, and 250k CTS pots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I Break Things likes this.