MIM Fender Strats

Discussion in 'Fender' started by NewtoyLPVM, Oct 14, 2007.

1. NewtoyLPVM

NewtoyLPVM Senior Member

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but what is the general quality of the MIM Strats? Thanks.

2. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Member

MIM Strats and Teles are excellent value for money. Yes, some of the parts may not be as well-made, however, you pay less for them.

I recently bought a Baja Tele. This guitar cost me just under £400 and it nearly plays and sounds as good as my Custom Shop Tele, which cost 4-5 times as much.

Quality on the Baja is excellent. I have changed the bridge, which was a little thinner than the US Fender one and also put on a thicker scratch plate. Tuners and pickups are brilliant

3. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

If you buy the the upper level MIM's they are great,
    especialy if you get a Limited Edition like the 60th Anniversary

unlike the Epi/Gibson difference, the Fenders MIM's
    bodies and necks are cut, freted, "Fashioned" in the US
    but painted and assembled in Mexico. All Fender Hardware
    is made in the US, the real difference, is the final finishing
    and pickups, probably the Pots also and assembly.
    Of course the high end Fenders are mainly from the custom
    shop, i think Mexico has one also.

I bought Fender factory replacement parts for my MIM
    and they were exactly the same except the pickups,
    MIM pickups blow.

Just remember to get a higher up model of MIM's and you got
    a great guitar

4. NewtoyLPVM

NewtoyLPVM Senior Member

So is $300.00 a good price of a new, never-been-played 60th Anniversary? I have an opportunity to get one at this price. Thanks.

5. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Think if you could would be a pretty good deal, again you might want to ditch those pickups though

6. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

Yeah, MIM pickups suck. Good platforms for extensive modding, tho.

7. NewtoyLPVM

NewtoyLPVM Senior Member

If it will need extensive mods, should I just buy a MIA Strat or another Gibson then? :confused:

8. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Member

Use your hands and ears to help decide, not where the thing was made.

The pickups on my Baja Tele are amazing. They certainly don't 'suck', whatever that's supposed to be.

9. Axeman16

Axeman16 V.I.P. Member

i have a mim 62 ri and compared to my buddies american strat its pretty close.

10. captain tightpants

No, no, that's not what I meant. I should have been more specific, the pickups on my '94 Strat were terrible to MY ears, but I'm not a big fan of the traditional Strat sound in the first place.I meant they are a pretty good guitars to begin with, and they are really fun to expiriment with if you like that sort of thing.

They are an excellent bang for the buck! I think the pickups have improved quite a bit since '94, too. I've played MIM Tele's recently that sounded pretty darn good with the stock pickups. Like ANY guitar, you gotta find one that suit's you.

11. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

Man I played a 68 RI MIM reverse head stock the other nite I almost walked out with it. I damn sure didnt see anything wrong with the pups or quality.

12. captain tightpants

You know, I forgot that mine had had the pickups replaced when I got it, so I kind of spoke out of turn without meaning to. I don't know what they were, but they were horrible. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.:(

13. goofballone

goofballone Senior Member

My '06 MIM is every bit as good as any American Standard I'v compaired it to

14. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

Those are USA fender pickups on those, not all
    Mex fenders have bad pickups, only the stock
    ones are cheap. Mine came with Tex-Mex pickups
    which are the same pickups on the Jimmy Vaughn strat.
    I changed mine out for humcanceling pickups because
    i do alot of computer recording.

15. classic

classic Senior Member

Chris Rea always played MIM strats ... :fingersx:
    Did someone ever complained about his bluesey tone ????

I've once owned a beautiful sounding MIM Powerhouse Strat ... the only thing happened in the heads of MIM owners - they felt like people of 2nd class ... MIM Strats are worth the money you've to spend!!! :thumb:

16. mike newport

mike newport Senior Member

Any MIM I've ever owned, rips, in all aspects. The one I have now is a 60th year anniversary. It's basically a '57 with a soft "v" neck, two-tone sunburst. Alder body. The p-ups are the vintage '57-'62, all three. The vibrato & bridge are milled steel with vintage type saddles, the things sounds absolutely killer...m Used to have a '99 Daphne Blue '50's Classic, soft "v", poplar bod, alnico V p-ups, I loved it, but...

17. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I've got a MIM Nasville Tele that is awesome. What was said earlier about the parts being made in the U.S. are correct by my understanding. Inspect the neck and frets but if they are all straight, you've probably got a winner.

Mine came with the Tex-Mex pickups too and they're great. I would agree that stock MIM pickups are serviceable but not ideal. But with what you pay for the instrument, you can afford to put new pickups in it if you want.

MIM's were once complete garbage. Now they are an amazing value. Just know what you're looking for. You may have to sift through a few before you find the one that really speaks to you. But that's the case with most guitars.

Good luck.

18. terence_tez

terence_tez V.I.P. Member

+1 fer the baja tele!!!
    been lustin fer one fer some time now...

19. hedzeppelin

hedzeppelin V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Here's my MIM Strat.

[​IMG]
    The music store manager (an excellent player) had me try this. Then he went
    over to the wall and handed me another Strat. Didn't tell me the price or model. I tried it, and said that I liked the first one (MIM) better. Played better and actually had a better sound.

Then, he tells me that the second one, the one I rejected, was an Eric Johnson model, and sold for around $1,800!

The quality of this guitar is amazing. Classic Fender Strat sound, impeccable finish, soft V neck.

20. BBLong

BBLong Senior Member

MIM Fenders are good guitars. I think people sometimes put too much stock into where or when a guitar was made, or what components are on it. I've seen some cats pull great tones out of what some people would consider crappy gear. MIM Fenders are pretty good guitars, and some I have played have been great. I played a Deluxe Super Strat and several MIA strats, including a Custom Shop 62 RI, a CS 69 RI, and thought it had the best feel and tone of the three. One other guy thought so also, and he bought it after hearing me play all three.

Bob