MIJ guitars...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Mockbel, Apr 29, 2017.

1. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

You will miss out on some very well built MIJ Charvel guitars from the mid 80's with this thinking. I had a 1986 Charvel model 4 that I bought brand new and it was an awesome well made guitar. Back in the 80's Jackson was a custom made to order company, so if you wanted a Jackson but didn't have a lot of money you bought a MIJ Charvel guitar. Later on Jackson brought out the Professional series and that led to cheaper more affordable Jackson guitar models that are available today. Funny how Charvel went back to being a high end guitar line again.

Mockbel likes this.
  2. paco1976

paco1976 Senior Member

This is an exaggeration, no?
    I am very curious :eek:

Mockbel likes this.
  3. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

He has pics.....

4. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Member

The late 80s-to-early 90s MIJ toothpaste logo Charvels are fantastic guitars. My '91 475 Deluxe is every bit the equal of my '03 Jackson USA DK-1 in terms of construction and fit & finish. The rosewood on the fretboard is nicer than the stuff they're using nowadays, and the shark-fin inlays are real MOP (later MIJ Jackson models had "pearloid" inlays that look about as bad as they sound!) The flame tops on the "Exotic" models from that era are not as nice as the USA Jackson tops, though. The Schaller-built Floyd Rose systems are also much better than the cheaper units they used on the later MIJ Jacksons, I would say just about the equal of the Original Floyd Rose unit on my DK-1, and the switches and pots are far superior to the cheaper stuff they used later on. I bought a MIJ Jackson Dinky around 2000 or 2001 (it was the Guitar Center 36th Anniversary model) and the quality of the parts, rosewood, inlays, and overall craftsmanship were noticeably inferior to my Charvel (sold it within a couple of years in fact).
    J and C.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Mockbel likes this.
  5. Evo8

Evo8 Senior Member

Later MIJ models had different price points also. Both my 01 KV and 08 KE Stars have ebony boards with binding, MOP inlays, schaller trems, with the KE having alpha pots/duncans and the KV with EMG pickups/electronics which were later passive swapped.

6. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Member

Have you played any of the current MIM Charvel stuff? The San Dimas Pro Mods look interesting but I haven't tracked one down yet to see how they compare with the MIJs.

7. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I played a MIM Charvel.. not sure about model name as I have no experience in them but it was a white strat shape with three single coils.. dark rosewood fretboard.. i didnt feel anything wrong with it but can't compare it to the MIJ cause i havent touched one !

8. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Member

Ahhh, then yoi don't know what you'rr missing... lol

9. Evo8

Evo8 Senior Member

I have not. Only low end Deans and Jacksons down here.

10. bungle

bungle Senior Member

My main guitar for over 20 years..mij Charvel Model 6 = Fantastic guitar[​IMG]

Benjammin and Angus Rhoads like this.
  11. fett

fett Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Nope. I do own over 650 guitars.

paco1976 likes this.
  12. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

:wow:

and you are still counting??

13. paco1976

paco1976 Senior Member

I got 7 and I thought I had a problem. :rofl:

How do you store them? You need a warehouse for that :hmm:

14. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

do you remember the pics of the Gibson guitars in the container after the flood ?

Mockbel likes this.
  15. paco1976

paco1976 Senior Member

Don't tell me more. You stole that container :laugh2:

16. paruwi

there were not enough black guitars.....

Mockbel and bungle like this.
  17. Andresound

Andresound Junior Member

IMG_0004.JPG I have a 1989 MIJ Carvel TE CUSTOM (toothpaste logo) guitar. This is my #1. I love this guitar!!

Mockbel and wulfman like this.
  18. gl3nnium

gl3nnium Senior Member

I have some experience with MIJ Charvels.
    I have 2 and both are exceptional. I believe both were manufactured in the Cushin Gakki factory. My advice with MIJ guitars (like charvel and jackson) is to look at the factory and the year of build. Once you know that, you will have an almost 100% assurance of the quality of the instrument.
    In my case, the first one is a Charvette M250. The key for this one and why it is such a huge bargain is that I did my homework. Charvette is considered the more budget version of a Charvel, however, mine is a first run 1989 model, which means because it was the first Charvette, they hadn't retooled or re-located yet. So, its actually built and assembled with the same parts and by the same people as the top end Charvels. Its actually a re-branded M series MIJ Charvel with slightly different hardware. It is, in fact a better instrument than any top end Fender of that period. A year later the Charvette line would move to Korea and be made of Ply instead of Basswood - but the first run 89's were a different breed. If you find one, buy it.

My second is a Charvel MIJ 1990 st custom. An amazing instrument with some really interesting technical innovations in the nut and bridge. People tend to shy away from the st customs because they tried something different with the headstock that year. It's actually shaped like a VOX headstock. Personally i love that but people are stupid, they see something slightly different like a headstock and they pass on it...which is fantastic for me, because its an exceptional guitar and I got it very cheaply because of something as trivial as the shape of the headstock.

19. paruwi

:thumb:

if it's made by FujiGen you don't have to look much for the year....:fingersx:

20. SoManyGuitars

SoManyGuitars Senior Member

Hi Gang,
    I have a bunch of MIJ guitars from 82 on, including my first Charvel Model 6, which I swapped on a German FR... nice guitar...

BUT... if you think it's 1/2 the guitar that it's US counterpart is (Jackson SL-1), you haven't played a USA made Jackson. It'll make you forget all about anything MIJ. Seriously, it's like going from a Toyota to a Mercedes.... You feel the difference immediately.

The MIJ's are good, especially for the money, but the US made axes are just so much nicer, in my opinion. Better woods, finish, etc. But that's why they list at ~$3500.
    Used for $1500 is worth every nickel.