MIJ guitars...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Mockbel, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Hi guys..

As a heavy metal fan, the Jackson brand is one of my favorites.. I used to have a 90's Performed Rhoads V which is one of the lower end Jacksons but it was an awesome guitar...

I like also the Soloist Pro Series which used to be MIJ and now Indonesia I guess.. but if we are talking about the ones MIJ, how are they compared to other MIJ heavy metal shredders like Ibanez RG Prestige or ESP E-II series?

Any experience?

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Each have their own feel. The MIJ Jackson Professional guitars made up to about 1995 were AMAZING - USA quality all the way. I LOVE the Ibanez "metal" guitars from 1987-1992. They were superior instruments. Same can be said about ESP up through about 1998. I give that time line on ESP because prior to 1998 ESP wasn't splitting their line. LTD came out in 1996 or so - and those EARLY LTD guitars were AMAZING - but the ESP line wasn't convoluted. In the late 80's through the mid 90's I had Japanese Ibanez and ESP guitars. They were awesome. Only stopped using them because I switched to USA Jackson.

Any of those three brands will be awesome, but each is different in their own way.

WhiskeyMike and Mockbel like this.
  3. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Thanx man

Although my Ibanez is not Prestige but I don't feel it is anything below them.. I know that main complain is about the bridge but I am not into those deep dives so the guitar really holds its tuning very well.. so I think I won't be interested in more Ibanez..

It is really between MIJ Jackson or Eii .. however the ESP is more expensive.. does it worth?

4. Evo8

Evo8 Senior Member

No experience with the E-II line but I do have a ESP Custom MX and a Jackson Stars KV-J2E. The ESP has more attention to detail, but the Jackson still comes close and at a much cheaper price. Love my Stars so much that I just bought another yesterday.

5. Custom53

Custom53 Senior Member

The only MIJ gutiars that I have owned.. I have never owned any Ibanez Guitar...

Late'70s - early '80s 5 piece diamond logo Burny Les Paul Custom.. Great Guitar..!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only Telecaster that I really liked. A mij 50th anniversary Telecaster with pearloid pickguard and matching double binding with gold hardware..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

So guys another question ... does MIJ = high quality guitar regardless to era?

7. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

Not so sure about regardless of era, but certainly from the mid 70s onwards

Kris Ford likes this.
  8. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

No. You're grossly overgeneralizing.

Even some of the MIJ guitars made in the 70's were junk. It wasn't really until the last 70's that MIJ guitars got their reputation for being quality. And even then, each guitar has to be taken on a case-by-case basis.

Custom53 and paruwi like this.
  9. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Sorry guys.. i was still talking about the brands i started the thread for.. Jackson, ESP, and Ibanez.... and i am not into pre 90s guitar so i am talking about 1990 onward

10. JCM900MkIII

JCM900MkIII Senior Member

Fernandes makes some nice skredders (although I don't personally skred very often)
    These guys own the Burny brand (FWIW)

My (first guitar, still own it, still play it) late 90's APG 80:
    [​IMG]

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/index.php

guidothepimmp likes this.
  11. guidothepimmp

Im not sure im getting the qustion so much, but brands like jackson and charvel, are not japanese brands.

These are american brands that shifted production to Japan to be able to compete with brands such as Tokai, fernandes and ibanez which were putting out increasingly good copies.

So whilst Tokai and Ibanez just to mention 2, had their own designs, they were largely crap until the 70s when they started making really great copies of fender and gibson designs.

Many of these brands like jackson, charvel and fender then began manufacturing in Japan. And yes, these guitars were epic.
    Even Gibson had Orville making guitars, and if memory serves, epiphone too was shifted to asia for affordable builds.

Esp if i recall was never around prior to this.

So the older Japanese brands like Elk etc, made ok instrumemts, but nothing spectacular.

It was really when Ibanez hit up the musician series, artist series and pf series in the late 70s, and when tokai started nailing copies also in the late 70s that everyone took notice.

All the brands like orville, burny, tokai, ibanez etc, made some epic copies at some point. Some made some great original designs like the ibby destroyer and artist series.

As with any economy,
    There were great lines, and cheaper lines. The jackson pro and star lines were all great, the performer lines were the more budget friendly options.

Charvel model series, fusions, etc were great, charvette was the budget friendly option.

Obviously fender had the squier series, although early japan squiers are well loved guitars.

Esp released the ltd lines as more budget friendly.

Etc.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  12. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Thanx man.. you somehow answered my question among the good other info you provided...
    Yes I know Jackson is not Japanese brand like Ibanez or ESP.. I can't afford Jackson USA series so I was looking in particular into the pro series which has been MIJ for a while and now I think in Indonesia.. so my question was "any MIJ Jackson would be a high quality instrument?" and "How would it be compared to MIJ Ibanez Prestige or ESP E-II?"

13. guidothepimmp

Well, quality is highly subjective.

But yes, i wouldd say any mij pro series jackson is a winner, and likely comparable to an E II. Prestige ibanez are stellar guitars. Obviously you would be comparinglike for like ito of timber etc.

I have several japanese charvel and a jackson pro mij which hold their own. Never tried the indonesian jacksons or indian for that matter, also never tried themexican charvels.

Mockbel likes this.
  14. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I have two mij JEMs. One is an '89 and the other is '00. They are both extremely high quality. I also have an '88 RG560 which was mij. I would consider that guitar mediocre.

15. lucky pierre

lucky pierre Junior Member

I lived in Japan for just over 2 decades, until 2015, and I`d say the Japanese are building guitars today that rival anything they ever made, they haven`t forgotten how to build great guitars, they incorporate what they`ve learned over time and improve on that. I used to buy the guitar magazines almost every month in the country and there seemed to be new builders all the time, many producing very high end guitars. I had some of the vintage guitars so many people overseas have been after for several years now but I chose to keep and bring back newer MIJs, they were every bit as well made as the old stuff.

16. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

[​IMG]

and

:welcome: here @ MLP

17. Custom53

Custom53 Senior Member

So true.. It really depended on where in Japan it was made... I remember some very Junky Guitars from back then but also some very nice guitars later on. Like ones from the FugiGen, Chushin Gakk, and Matsumoku factories..

18. lucky pierre

When I was a kid and we went to the 5 and dime stores, most of the Japanese stuff we saw looked like it would break before we got to the car, after living in Japan for a while, I saw that the Japanese had built a lot of very high end goods from that same era they just didn`t export them at the time, they kept the good stuff for the domestic market, Yamaha was one builder that made great guitars for decades, still do though of course they also make low end entry level guitars, so for me it isn`t so much when a guitar was made but where in the pecking order it fits.

19. fett

fett Premium Member

This is why I own over 650 guitars. I have to say, I only own Epi's when it comes to Gibson. I have my Kramer and Charvel guitars. Even a Jackson or whatever. The MIJ guitar is all about what it is. Fender did it with the Heartfield label. One day, I hit a pawnshop and I saw a guitar hanging on the wall. It just looked cool. Lots of bells and whistles. I didn't know Heartfield from squat. I asked if it came with a case. It did. The OHSC. That perked me up. I bought it. I got it home and did the mandatory Web search. It was the Talon Series. Not 1. Not 2. Not 3. Not 4. A Talon 5. Yikes!!!! I paid $200 for that guitar.

Mockbel likes this.
  20. lucky pierre

I have a Heartfield only mine is an Elan, the original card is still in the pocket of the case that came with the guitar. Solid flame maple cap, 1 piece Honduras body, ebony fretboard etcetc. It was in the Shimamura shop in the city we lived in, must have just arrived because they had`t put the tag on it yet,I asked how much it was, got $50.oo off that price and took it in fact, it was the last guitar I bought in Japan before leaving the country and I love that thing, I was more than fortunate with guitars over the years I lived in Japan and this one is no exception, it is right up there with my FGN BATT-20 in terms of quality.