Midtowns Discontinued???

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by Shades of Blue, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Senior Member

So I used to own a Midtown Custom and stupidly sold it. I've been contemplating getting a LP Jr with p90's, but I don't think p90's are for me.

I went to look around and Midtowns and there aren't any Vintage Sunbursts anywhere. Have they been discontinued?

2. Bubbletonic

Bubbletonic Senior Member

Not officially on their site, but word seems to be going around that they've been pulled, which wouldn't surprise me because of it being a 2012 model. The 2012 catalog was full of new runs like the Midtown and the Classic Custom etc, these were non-rosewood and non-ebony boarded instruments. All of the new runs that Gibson put out in 2012 were just ways to keep products moving out the door until the rosewood and ebony came back. If you ignore the fact that you weren't getting this wood or that wood on the fingerboard, most of these runs were great deals and priced fairly and so Gibson were probably not making as much money on them, but obviously needed to keep shelves stocked. 2013 sees the return of the rosewood and ebony across the whole production line and so all the new 2012 models have been pulled and the regularly priced rosewood and ebony boarded guitars are back in their places.

If sufficient demand builds over time, no doubt Gibson will "reissue" the Midtowns and Classic Customs like they did the BFG... but at a higher price... obviously.

3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

1 person likes this.
  4. airportbar

airportbar Senior Member

Check your local Sam Ash. I've seen a couple hanging on the walls recently. Or better yet, call them and see if they can find any in their system. My understanding is that they're done as a model but there are some stragglers still floating about.

5. gnappi

gnappi Senior Member

YUP, they're almost all gone. Musician's friend was blowing out the customs at $1050 including shipping and even though I didn't "NEED" it, I bought one. I'm REALLY glad I did, right now it's one of my top three faves.

Gibson:
    ES-137 Custom
    ES-135
    ES-150
    ES-175
    ES-345
    Howard Roberts Fusion
    Blues Hawk
    Midtown Custom
    Les Paul DC
    XPL
    Pat Martino Custom

Gretsch:
    G3161
    Synchromatic (x2)

Epiphone:
    Joe Pass
    Genesis

Aria PE-175
    D'Angelico EXS-1DH
    Dean Palomino
    DeArmond Guild X-155
    Fender D'Aquisto
    Harmony ES-335 copy
    Heritage H-575
    Heritage Prospect
    Ibanez Artcore AF-100
    Ibanez Artcore AS-73

Strats and Teles too

Regards,

Gary

6. Farquad

Farquad Senior Member

The only midtown that seems to be showing up anywhere is the standard bigsby. I've not found any p90 standards in any stores (theres a good amount on ebay). The customs are gone from the stores as well. I have a p90 version and the tone is awesome. Worth it if you can find one. And to correct a statement above the standard p90's do have rosewood boards. The customs have Richlite. (not sure on the standard bigsby)

7. gnappi

gnappi Senior Member

Tonight I popped into a local Sam Ash and they "HAD" two Midtown Standards with P90's. One in Heritage (tobacco) burst and another in Tri-burst. I had never seen the tri-burst so I bought it on the spot, my friend bought the other for $799 on CLEARANCE!!! It plays exactly like my MT custom but those P90's!! :)

8. Farquad

Farquad Senior Member

That is a steel!!!! Congrats. The tone on the midtown with the P90's is like no other guitar I've played. Mine's the fireburst as well.

9. mikethebumperman

mikethebumperman Senior Member

My buds at Pro Music in Des Moines have some Midtowns with P90s and Humbuckers.

Those are fine instruments.