mid-70s Hondo LP copy?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by ac4rd, Jul 27, 2008.

1. ac4rd

ac4rd Senior Member

There's a mid-seventies set-neck Hondo LP copy for sale near me .... I don't really need another guitar and I'd almost rather save my pennies for a Standard (I've got a 2003 Studio I love) ... but I think I recall hearing that some Hondos were made in the same factory that made some of the Ibanez lawsuit guitars (along with a lot of other small-name guitars). I had a mid-70s Ibanez copy of a Howard Roberts that was fantastically good, and I'm wondering about this darned Hondo now. At the asking price, if it's as good as my Ibanez HR was, I'd be nuts not to get it. I've been too busy to get over to see it yet. Thought I might ask if any of the veterans have ever had a Hondo LP and had opinions or advice--any input is welcome! TIA. --Ken

2. northlight

northlight Senior Member

My brother had a Hondo Les Paul copy in the 80s', he loved it and took it to a local artist to get the Slash skull oil painted onto it:slash:. It was a real beauty and sounded the biz!!!

3. bhmcintosh

bhmcintosh Les Pauls, Telcasters, and 12strings Premium Member

A 70s set-neck might possibly be worthwhile. I too have heard the "Ibanez factory" rumors, but have never heard substantiation whether yea or nay. Just look it over well, and if it's in decent shape, go for it. Despite what my wife says, I'm not entirely certain it's even possible to have "too many" guitars.

By the by, the blurb on your QRZ page is a thing of rare and sublime beauty.
    73 de WA4UF

4. Tracy Jeffords

Tracy Jeffords Junior Member

LOVE MY HONDO GUITAR WORKS AS GOOD AS ANY LES PAUL I HAVE EVER PLAYED, AFTER FRET LEVEL WORKS AND SOUNDS PERFECT NOW.
    GIBSON IS NOW CALLED CHIBSON AND NOT THE QUALITY IT ONCE WAS, NOW IT IS THE NAME AND PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP. gO BUY A NEW ONE AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF.

5. Tracy Jeffords

Tracy Jeffords Junior Member

i HAVE 4 GIBSON GUITARS NOW INCLUDING A 78 FLYING V i LIKE MY 74 STRATOCASTER THE BEST

6. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bungle, kiko and paruwi like this.
  7. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

Knock your fist on the body below the tailpiece. If no hollow sound than it is one of the better builds as that is a solid top version. There are set necks w/o solid tops , but if everything else is to your liking than it might not be a negative as it will weigh less.

8. Grenville

Grenville Senior Member

Some of the old Ibanez' weren't so hot, even though some were great.

Where I live, I saw many nasty, cheaply made Hondo II guitars, definitely not Ibanez-like in their construction.

It was a surprise to me, years later, to hear a couple of people speak well of their Hondo LP-style guitars.

In other words, there are bad and good ones, and it likely depended on what their retail price was when they came out. If you can see and try out the guitar, be ready for anything!

9. Grenville

Grenville Senior Member

PS re the "Chibson" comment:
    Chibson is a slur on the far-eastern made counterfeit guitars that illegally have the 'G' brand on them. It does not refer to actual USA guitars made with the authorisation of Gibson.

10. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

Ibanez LP copies sold were mostly bolt on necks, but they have 2 things that stand out in my opinion, that being great craftsmanship in the necks and great sounding Maxon built pickups. W/o the good electronics they would be regarded just like most other copies, all show and no go.

Hondo def had some high end models which I've trained myself to spot when they pop up on eBay. Probably only rare cause Hondo had soured their image back then with a lot of their plywood bombs. What kid wants to slug around a 10lb big bertha that sounds horrible? Good way to wreck a kids Christmas.

11. Grenville

Grenville Senior Member

Pre-1975 the Ibanez quality was a bit more variable, I had pre-serial number LP copy with a not that great neck, and an SG with terrible Maxon-branded pickups. Mid-70s on they started using a neck carve that was really, really nice, and the Maxon/Super 70 pickups were terrific.

12. Guitarzandstuff

Guitarzandstuff Senior Member

o_Oo_O:confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bungle likes this.
  13. bungle

bungle Senior Member

WEZE ALL BEEEN SCHOOLED:rofl:

14. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

For the record, Hondos were made in Korea by Samick, with the exception of the Professional Series which were made by Tokai and Mats from 1980-1981.