Mick Ralphs' '58 recreated by Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by stonevibe, Nov 25, 2017.

1. stonevibe

stonevibe Senior Member

Metlking and musicmaniac like this.
  2. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

One of my faves!

3. landguitar

landguitar Double Platinum Supporter

This looks very nice indeed. I am looking for a really nice '58 RI and this might be it, but is more than I really want to pay. At least it has some aspect of "special" to it. Will be interesting to see if they can really duplicate that top well, across the series.
    I have '58 RI phobia, having tried a nice one from Wildwood a couple of years ago that I just did not like. Not their fault and I should immediately returned it to them, should have trusted my first instincts.

4. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

very nice and maybe a great tribute guitar, but I bought a pristine 2014 R8 lately at 35% of this price

5. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

I was a big Mott fan in the 70's,and had read on the back of a Mott album about Mick appearing on the album and being in Bad Co.

I saw Bad Co. during one of their first U.S. tours as a warm-up group on the bill (their second album came out that week) and had taken some Polaroids of the show.

Wouldn't you know in one of the shots that Les Paul was in it.

bluesondoor, Becker34 and musicmaniac like this.
  6. lpthomas

lpthomas Senior Member

The Ralphs is not expensive for what it is methinks.

7. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

What is it then?
    Forgive me if I'm wrong. The 58 reissue is meant to be built to the same spec as one make in 1958. So how is this one meant to be different to any other that was made in that year? I think we get lost in what these instruments mean to us. This is a replicar of a guitar used by a certain guitarist and it look fantastic. But it is in essance a reincarnation of one made in 1958. Even the pick ups are the same. So in end it comes down to what it looks like.
    That' how I see it as a player' guitar. Now as a collector piece there will only so many that look like this. And I get that. I also get the get fallong in love with a certain guitar and and we all gone that and paid more than we should.

8. DrSte31n

DrSte31n Member

This a True Historic spec’ed guitar, and aged to look/feel like the particular guitar is being replicated. Not the same specs as your 2014.

9. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Um... not really. And I'm increasingly convinced that Gibson does little more than match the DC impedance of the Custom Buckers in CCs to the original. There's no serious attempt to replicate the actual tonal character of the originals.

That said, nice looking aged TH-spec with the usual problem of 'aspirational' pricing. I'd go for a '14 R8 with a nice top that felt and sounded right. Spend the difference on beer. Quite a lot of beer.

thinkgreen and RAG7890 like this.
  10. lpthomas

lpthomas Senior Member

I was comparing the Ralphs model to modern Custom Shop reissues of say the past 5 years. The ageing on their guitars this year looks awesome, in my opinion. Goldtop anniversary, Slash, this model. That combined with the fact it‘s a limited (even if the number‘s not that low) run and has TH parts, I think the price is fair.

Aged models have always been expensive and I could have seen this having a much higher retail price, maybe 9k usd. The Slash models were cheaper than I thought as well. Maybe I‘m just ruined by the prices for, excuse the expression, run-of-the-mill Standard Historics and TH LPs here in Europe.

I‘d describe myself as a player too and think the new specs are, aesthetically, way more pleasing than the 2014 (and SH). Maybe even sonically, owing to the hide-glued maple cap.

thinkgreen likes this.
  11. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

You do know that the Hide Glue / Maple Cap is actually incorrect.

Gibson did not use Hide Glue to glue Maple Caps on Hog Bodies in the 1950's.

Hide Glue is fine but it is not accurate..........even if Gibson tells you it is.

:cheers2:

Blue Blood and fleahead like this.
  12. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Really? Has Gibson made a factually incorrect statement about this? Jeez. Can I ask what glue Gibson actually used to fix the caps on 50s production LPs?

13. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

There is an argument about Urea Formaldehyde vs. Phenol Formaldehyde.

IMHO the correct answer is Phenol Formaldehyde. I have some run out from a '50's Les Paul but still have not had it analyzed (just for curiosity sake, nothing more).

FWIW, Gibson makes a lot of statements that are incorrect. Another is the wet sanded TH finish, that is another thing that was never done in the 1950's.

My feeling has always been that these things don't really matter in today's day & age but don't lie to customers about it with BS.

fleahead, thinkgreen and BBD like this.
  14. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like someone's taking the piss :laugh2:. But seriously...

Absolutely. It's all good to big up the USPs of your product but it's not good to misrepresent them. Especially as there's no need to make misleading claims in the first place.

RAG7890 likes this.
  15. lpthomas

lpthomas Senior Member

Did not know that, thanks! That‘s indeed interesting. And seems to be something which is rarely pointed out here.

16. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

I didn't ether. Just goes to show we can't always trust what company' say. And tbh I prefer if they used modern adhesives. When I've stored furniture that has hide glue, it' been very brittle and not to conncted to the wood. I use tiebond 2 and polyurethane glue with the wood items I make and wouldn' use any different unless specified.

17. Chef Greg

Chef Greg Senior Member

this Mick's burst had a shaved heel....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    alnico59, rockinlespaul and RAG7890 like this.
  18. GearHo

GearHo Premium Member

That guitar looks like every other aged historic that we have all seen for the past several years. The owner of the original claims its so close, that's bullshit. You can see the fake checking a mile away, the typical wishbone razor cut. Look at the video and check out the back which is apparently nicked up exactly like the original, and if you look close at the video you can see the pencil'd outline of their template to replicate the similarities.

But for christs sake, lets stop saying the umpteenth recreation is "exactly" like the fn original, they are not and never will be.

If this owner thinks that this guitar looks just like the original, I hope he had some help before buying that guitar, because he needs it.

Lets wait and see three or four of these lined up and see how they look compared to the original, or each other for that matter.

Its not the guitar itself, I don't dislike it. I hate the fairy tale that has to be attached to it. And then Joe plays it and it sounds great.....no shit.

I am going to go take my medication now, and sit quietly. :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  19. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

The owner is the former member here called 'banker"..........John Marlow.

He only hangs out at the other Forum now & of course he is "selling" this model as he'll get circa $300 for every Guitar sold.

Heaps of pump & dump with these guys.

20. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

this is not the guitar Gibson used as their template