Michael Burks will soon be in the MLP house!

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by b-squared, Jan 23, 2010.

1. b-squared

b-squared Banned

My friend and I went to a great club last night-- BB's Jazz, Blues, and Soups -- St Louis, Mo. We got there early to get a good seat; in fact, the owner let us in the back door, the first customers in. We dressed up a bit, to make a good impression...clothes do make the man, after all. :D

We got a good table, right up front. Michael and his band were loading in. After his bass player got done (Cliff) he sat at a nearby table, and we struck up a conversation. Great guy--we invited him to come sit with us (no sense in sitting alone) and proper introductions were done. I bought him a cranberry juice, and after a bit he went back up onstage for the sound check. Mike had been busy getting his rig set up; 2 Dr. Z plus cabs (2x12 ea), and a rack with a power conditioner and two heads, a Delta 88 (prototype--he got both), and one of Dr Z's new amps, the SRZ-35 (Only two of the first run were red--guess who got them?). He has a pedal board as well; it contains a compressor/sustainer, a Klon, Delay pedal, and a Blues Driver. The main pedal he uses is the compressor--to drive the amps a bit harder.

Guitar-wise, Michael is setup really well. :D His main axe is a 2002-ish R8 Flametop. It looks like a lemonburst to me. The neck pickup is a stock BB2, and the bridge pickup is a Peter Florance Voodoo. The guitar has all the road wear you'd expect for a guy that plays almost 300 gigs per year. :D

His other axe at the gig was a cherry Flying V, circa 1974 --it was also loaded with Voodoos. This axe never saw action though, at least while I was there.

Michael has an awesome tone...it's moderately dark, and reminds me of a classic AC30 tone. Those Dr Z's were humming. He's also got a huge library of licks, and a monster vibrato. Fantastic player.

So...back to the story. After the sound check they were coming off stage, and walk right past our table. I stood and remarked to Michael that his LP was screaming, and his rig sounded awesome. I also asked if he'd ever heard of MLP, and he stopped in his tracks. His face lit up (he's got a huge smile, you can't help but smile back) and he said "I'll be right back, I want to talk to you!" They headed to the front of the club, and my buddy and I went back to our fine STL-brewed beers. :D

Mike came back about 15 minutes later, and we had a great chat. He'd heard of MLP, but every time he got to a computer (not very often) he'd forget the URL...he finally found it on a friends website, and had a look. He wants to sign up, and said he'd do so next time he gets to a computer. I got his number and email, so I'll follow up and make sure he gets an account. :D

About that time our food arrived; I had a sensible cajun chicken club sandwhich, and my buddy had a fried catfish po-boy...when Mike saw that, he ordered one too. :D So--we all had dinner together as well. What a great guy. We talked about his life on the road, guitars, and of course great food--like me he loves his food.

Anyway, the show was killer--he came out with guns blazing. Blues guitar school was in session, my brothers, and I was the #1 student....LOL. I caught him whipping out a particular tasty phrase and looking right at me...yeah, he's the real deal. I wouldn't want to be on stage cutting heads with him for nothing...:D

BTW--his 1st set ran right about 2 hours of non-stop blues playing. I guess they don't call him 'Iron Mike' for nothing. :D

This is how close we were--I took this with my iPhone;

[​IMG]

Here's Mike's page on his label, Alligator Records:

Michael Burks

From there you can jump to his tour schedule.

So...I look forward to seeing 'Iron Man' Michael Burks on MLP soon!

drpietrzak, Frogfur, tjbitt and 51 others like this.
  2. davebag89

davebag89 Banned

Hell yeah :D

3. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

Wow, that's fantastic. Sounds like you had a hell of a time there and he seems like a great guy. Look forward to him joining here, although with 300 gigs a year I can't see him starting many threads :laugh2:

4. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

That V is the one I saw him nearly drop on the floor one night at BB's when the strap came undone.

5. L60N

L60N Senior Member

Wow :D

I hope he does come here so I can tell him how much I love his music!

6. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

Very cool!

7. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

Cool, I've never heard him before and looking forward to it.

8. b-squared

b-squared Banned

He's done a couple of European tours, and will be back soon, I'm sure.

He gets a great response over there.

BB

9. Hemply

Hemply Senior Member

Who?

Anyway glad you had a great time BB!:thumb:

10. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18DzlZVSrRM[/ame]
    :thumb:

schaapie and Mouse like this.
  11. b-squared

b-squared Banned

As a blues lover, I thought you of all people would know who he was! :D

BB

12. Hemply

Hemply Senior Member

They don't let me out much!:laugh2:

He sounds good thanks for posting the vid Tsukiyomi!:thumb:

13. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

He has some great music

14. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

You're very welcome :)

15. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Doesn't sound unlike Albert king as it happens. Sounds like BB had a good night!

16. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

Really cool, B2! Thanks. Glad you had a great time and I look forward to "meeting" him here. Killer playing in the vids, I love it. By the time he signs on I plan on having devoured his entire catalogue!

17. mrpesca

mrpesca Senior Member

Shit, he's playing L.A. on March 27th. Unfortunately I traded a guy at work that Saturday so I could go see Joe Bonamassa on the 13th in Bakersfield. Doh!

Oh well, next time around.

18. TKOjams

TKOjams Senior Member

Good stuff man.:thumb:

19. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I've seen Joe twice...as good as he is, I liked Michael's show better. :D

It's funny you mention LA. Michael is friend of Mr. Dumble, and has one of his amps--he told some cool stories about visiting the guy; he's a genius!

BB

20. Lungo

Lungo Senior Member

I don't know who Michael Burks is but I live in Alaska, what can I say? I look forwad to checking him out and seeing him participate here though. :thumb: