Michael Burks will soon be in the MLP house!

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by b-squared, Jan 23, 2010.

1. b-squared

b-squared Banned

My friend and I went to a great club last night-- BB's Jazz, Blues, and Soups -- St Louis, Mo. We got there early to get a good seat; in fact, the owner let us in the back door, the first customers in. We dressed up a bit, to make a good impression...clothes do make the man, after all. :D

We got a good table, right up front. Michael and his band were loading in. After his bass player got done (Cliff) he sat at a nearby table, and we struck up a conversation. Great guy--we invited him to come sit with us (no sense in sitting alone) and proper introductions were done. I bought him a cranberry juice, and after a bit he went back up onstage for the sound check. Mike had been busy getting his rig set up; 2 Dr. Z plus cabs (2x12 ea), and a rack with a power conditioner and two heads, a Delta 88 (prototype--he got both), and one of Dr Z's new amps, the SRZ-35 (Only two of the first run were red--guess who got them?). He has a pedal board as well; it contains a compressor/sustainer, a Klon, Delay pedal, and a Blues Driver. The main pedal he uses is the compressor--to drive the amps a bit harder.

Guitar-wise, Michael is setup really well. :D His main axe is a 2002-ish R8 Flametop. It looks like a lemonburst to me. The neck pickup is a stock BB2, and the bridge pickup is a Peter Florance Voodoo. The guitar has all the road wear you'd expect for a guy that plays almost 300 gigs per year. :D

His other axe at the gig was a cherry Flying V, circa 1974 --it was also loaded with Voodoos. This axe never saw action though, at least while I was there.

Michael has an awesome tone...it's moderately dark, and reminds me of a classic AC30 tone. Those Dr Z's were humming. He's also got a huge library of licks, and a monster vibrato. Fantastic player.

So...back to the story. After the sound check they were coming off stage, and walk right past our table. I stood and remarked to Michael that his LP was screaming, and his rig sounded awesome. I also asked if he'd ever heard of MLP, and he stopped in his tracks. His face lit up (he's got a huge smile, you can't help but smile back) and he said "I'll be right back, I want to talk to you!" They headed to the front of the club, and my buddy and I went back to our fine STL-brewed beers. :D

Mike came back about 15 minutes later, and we had a great chat. He'd heard of MLP, but every time he got to a computer (not very often) he'd forget the URL...he finally found it on a friends website, and had a look. He wants to sign up, and said he'd do so next time he gets to a computer. I got his number and email, so I'll follow up and make sure he gets an account. :D

About that time our food arrived; I had a sensible cajun chicken club sandwhich, and my buddy had a fried catfish po-boy...when Mike saw that, he ordered one too. :D So--we all had dinner together as well. What a great guy. We talked about his life on the road, guitars, and of course great food--like me he loves his food.

Anyway, the show was killer--he came out with guns blazing. Blues guitar school was in session, my brothers, and I was the #1 student....LOL. I caught him whipping out a particular tasty phrase and looking right at me...yeah, he's the real deal. I wouldn't want to be on stage cutting heads with him for nothing...:D

BTW--his 1st set ran right about 2 hours of non-stop blues playing. I guess they don't call him 'Iron Mike' for nothing. :D

This is how close we were--I took this with my iPhone;

[​IMG]

Here's Mike's page on his label, Alligator Records:

Michael Burks

From there you can jump to his tour schedule.

So...I look forward to seeing 'Iron Man' Michael Burks on MLP soon!

2. davebag89

davebag89 Banned

Hell yeah :D

3. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

Wow, that's fantastic. Sounds like you had a hell of a time there and he seems like a great guy. Look forward to him joining here, although with 300 gigs a year I can't see him starting many threads :laugh2:

4. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

That V is the one I saw him nearly drop on the floor one night at BB's when the strap came undone.

5. L60N

L60N Senior Member

Wow :D

I hope he does come here so I can tell him how much I love his music!

6. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

Very cool!

7. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

Cool, I've never heard him before and looking forward to it.

8. b-squared

b-squared Banned

He's done a couple of European tours, and will be back soon, I'm sure.

He gets a great response over there.

BB

9. Hemply

Hemply Senior Member

Who?

Anyway glad you had a great time BB!:thumb:

10. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18DzlZVSrRM[/ame]
    :thumb:

schaapie and Mouse like this.
  11. b-squared

b-squared Banned

As a blues lover, I thought you of all people would know who he was! :D

BB

12. Hemply

Hemply Senior Member

They don't let me out much!:laugh2:

He sounds good thanks for posting the vid Tsukiyomi!:thumb:

13. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

He has some great music

14. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

You're very welcome :)

15. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Doesn't sound unlike Albert king as it happens. Sounds like BB had a good night!

16. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

Really cool, B2! Thanks. Glad you had a great time and I look forward to "meeting" him here. Killer playing in the vids, I love it. By the time he signs on I plan on having devoured his entire catalogue!

17. mrpesca

mrpesca Senior Member

Shit, he's playing L.A. on March 27th. Unfortunately I traded a guy at work that Saturday so I could go see Joe Bonamassa on the 13th in Bakersfield. Doh!

Oh well, next time around.

18. TKOjams

TKOjams Senior Member

Good stuff man.:thumb:

19. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I've seen Joe twice...as good as he is, I liked Michael's show better. :D

It's funny you mention LA. Michael is friend of Mr. Dumble, and has one of his amps--he told some cool stories about visiting the guy; he's a genius!

BB

20. Lungo

Lungo Silver Supporter

I don't know who Michael Burks is but I live in Alaska, what can I say? I look forwad to checking him out and seeing him participate here though. :thumb: