Mic Stand Help

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by allstar100595, Jun 15, 2012.

1. allstar100595

allstar100595 Senior Member

Hi! I'm looking for a new mic stand, mine's pretty crappy. I pretty much wanted a stand that can get pretty tall, a boom arm, and a weighted base, not a tripod. I feel like the tripod takes up too much space for stages that are short on real estate, and that the weighted bases would be better for that. Any suggestions?

2. naturalblack

naturalblack Senior Member

I dont see too many boom stands that arent tripods, I think it is because of the balancing. Atlas stands get a lot of love in pro studios so I would check to see if they have one that fits your requirements

3. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

You should be able to buy a weight stand and boom separately if you can't find them together in a package. I actually use a straight stand which works out pretty well because I like the extra visual cue as to how far away I am when I sometimes rush up to sing a chorus - helps keep me from bashing my mouth into the mic.

4. allstar100595

allstar100595 Senior Member

While that's true, when I sing I'm also playing guitar, so having the mic stand right in front of my hands makes it hard to do much of anything. and add the fact that I have a pedalboard under me, I'd need to be leaning over pretty significantly to get even close to the mic. So I don't know if straight is an option for me.

5. Rich

If you're the lead singer, a straight stand isn't going to be practical for you; I sing just backups so it's fine for me and I've been using that style of stand for so long (just happened to be what I had) that I'm used to it. Our bass player is also our lead singer and he definitely likes a boom.

You can buy these separately right from Amazon and put together the stand you want:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Support-Telescoping-Boom-17203/dp/B0028WT6WQ]Amazon.com: Ultimate Support Telescoping Boom (17203): Musical Instruments[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/ProLine-MS235-Round-Microphone-Stand/dp/B000J0N5UI]Amazon.com: ProLine MS235 Round Base Microphone Stand Black (Black): Musical Instruments[/ame]

I don't know if those are the best deal out there or not, they just happened to be the first examples I found.

6. RichardH

RichardH Senior Member

[​IMG] - Straight like this is a problem?

7. Rich

No, that is at an angle and no doubt a boom even if the fulcrum isn't in the photo.

[​IMG]

He means this is a problem:

[​IMG]

8. RichardH

RichardH Senior Member

Ah I get it. I guess that could be a bit troublesome when you have to operate a pedalboard as well as sing/play guitar.

I like your sig btw, very funny!

9. sonar1

sonar1 Senior Member

Atlas still makes stands and booms (some are U.S. made still, though other models of Atlas are imported). I have a real heavy one, and a standard one.

I dislike the collapsible kinds with three legs as pictured.

I always use a boom. I'm either seated or need to use a boom because some of my guitars are thick, and even if they aren't I am!