MIAB -> DI -> Mixer -> Powered Speakers ???

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by andy007, Dec 12, 2016.

1. andy007

andy007 Premium Member

For the past seven years I’ve been playing guitar through Guitar Rig software and using the Guitar Rig interface pedal. Over time, the hardware and software have become obsolete. With the OSX Sierra upgrade, my pedal / audio interface is no longer supported. I am looking to get rid of anything that is software/computer based and go with analog hardware.

I consider myself a hobbyist so I don’t play professionally and rarely play in public. I record occasionally but not a lot. I have always played through FRFR speakers. I use professional [self-powered] studio monitors with Guitar Rig and my laptop. I also have a pair of JBL EON615 PA speakers that sound good in a small auditorium. I’d like to continue to use this equipment with my new solution.

Here is my question: If I purchase a “Marshall In A Box” pedal (something like the Wampler Plexi-Drive Deluxe) and a few other effects pedals, can I plug into a DI/Cab Sim box then to my Mackie mixer and out to powered speakers and have it sound OK? I just don’t know how it will sound not having a conventional guitar power amp.

2. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Member

Short answer is yes. As long as you have a cabinet simulator in the DI, or in front of a plain DI, it should sound fine.
    We have to run thru FOH once a week, which is basically the same chain.

3. andy007

andy007 Premium Member

Thank you for the info. Placing my pedal order today.

4. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Member

For a Simulator/DI I use an ADA-1. Real simple, works pretty well.

5. andy007

andy007 Premium Member

Did you mean ADA MP-1 ???

Now you've got me looking at the ADA MP-1-CHANNEL

6. andy007

andy007 Premium Member

I found the GCS-2 and GCS-3 cab sim and DI box from ADA

7. andy007

andy007 Premium Member

Just wanted to update and "close" this thread. Looked at the ADA stuff in more detail and purchased the ADA GCS-2 Guitar Cabinet Simulator / DI box. I ended up not getting the Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe. Instead I got the ADA MP-1-Channel. Tested it out this weekend with no pedals, direct to PA. OMG it's totally '80s high gain and everything I was looking for. This makes Guitar Rig sound like a toy. Ordered a few pedals, will arrive this week. I will use the DI box to record some samples after Christmas. Over and out.