MI59 Double Cut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fretman_2, Jan 12, 2017.

1. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Time for an update on the MI59 Double Cut I've, slowly, been working on. This guitar has morphed into a tribute guitar for the owner. The owners son is a sailor killed in a motorcycle accident a couple of years ago. The body that's posted above is made of cypress is from the sailors aunt. I plan on adding a few special touches that commemorate certain parts of his life...his military service, love of motorcycles, etc.

Here are some pics of some custom engraving I've done for the guitar on my homebrew CNC. The control plate has his subs name, his rank insignia (PO1) and rate badge (Sonar Tech). The neck plate has the sun, moon and stars logo that I think I will use on all my guitars from now on. I'll post a few more pics as I get closer to finishing...which I'll have to do before mid October.

I can build this guitar without the CNC machine for sure...but I can't do special touches like the engraving without it!

Neck and control plates are 6061 aluminum.

Engraving the control plate...30 degree vbit.
    [​IMG]

Engraved control plate...
    [​IMG]

Engraved neck plate...
    [​IMG]

2. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Thats awesome fretman.

3. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Thanks!!!!

4. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Finished control plate...

[​IMG]

WhiteEpiLP likes this.
  5. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Have you thought of filling the engravings with say black paint? I think it would make them pop and look real nice, not that it doesnt look great right now.

6. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Yea...I have thought about that actually, but I'm a little worried about the paint eventually popping out of the engraving with time. There ought to be a way to more permanently stain the aluminum in the engraving but I don't know about it.

7. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

I'm gonna give this a try...Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black...

8. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Starting to look like a guitar. Had to get a little mockup going. I've never had a guitar fight me like this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Final engraving for the tribute guitar. This one was more complex than I'd ever done. Very conservative feeds and speeds on the CNC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tonyd145 likes this.
  10. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Here are some updated pics using the Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black on the engravings...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

guitar-rocker likes this.
  11. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

That guitar looks awesome, great work! Love the engravings too.

12. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Thanks man!!!

13. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

great job, and yes the black punches it up immensely. well done on many fronts.

14. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Much appreciated!!!

15. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Sorry about the previous images being deleted. I was cleaniing out old files and accidentally deleted the album. But...here are images of the finished guitar.

The story behind this guitar came about 2 years ago when our best friends son, who was a Navy submariner, was killed in a motorcycle accident. His father had ask me to build him a guitar out of some old cypress that came from a family house that had been torn down. I intended to build something different for the dad, but switched gears and suggested we build a tribute guitar to Jared the fallen son.

I wanted to incorporate elements of the two basic things in life that Jared valued (besides his family of course)...motorcyles and the Navy. I didn't want to over represent if you know what I mean, but just incorporate small elements that they and others who knew Jared would identify with his life.

On the control plate I incorporated the sonar phones, 1st class chevrons, and the subs name and number. On the bottom of the guitar is his submariners pin...dolphins.

I had engraved a larger plate with elements from his motorcycle club, Iron Order, but it was a bit too large to hang on the guitar. So I made a separate guitar hanger plaque that pays tribute to that part of his life. His chapter was Shipyard Crew and his handle was 'No Spark' which was given to him after he couldn't crank his bike one day.

On the very back of the headstock is the decal in memorium to him.

Some other particulars...25" scale, hard tail bridge, GFS Fender style wide range humbuckers (which sound fantastic BTW), 500K pots...the usual stuff. The neck is a little wider than the standard Tele-Strat neck...no chance of the string going over the side during bends or vibrato. Neck is maple.

I'll be doing the reveal at a local Iron Order meeting in a couple of weeks. Here are the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    bluesriffdev and WhiteEpiLP like this.
  16. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

That black in the engravings is perfect. Exactly what i was thinking when i mentioned it. Great job!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    fretman_2 likes this.
  17. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Thanks for turning me on to it!