Mexican Telecasters

Discussion in 'Fender' started by tom .p., Jan 9, 2011.

1. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

All my Teles are USA or Warmoth that I put together. I've played a few MIMs and they're outstanding.
    I've yet to see one of the new Squires, but I read great things about them.

2. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Never understood the modern Squire love on the interwebz? Maybe Fender is shipping substandard Squire's to Chicago, as most I've played were junk.

Breezin likes this.
  3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Senior Member

I've just bought my second MIM Telecaster. They are both 50s Classic models (I really like a 7.25" radius and vintage frets on my Fenders). One is a white blonde in the more expensive lacquer finish spec and the second is a poly finished two tone sunburst. They are both really nicely put together and set up/feel wise absolutely perfect for me.

Granted I upgraded the pickups in the white one, because I already had some Fender OVs I'd used in a cheap Affinity, but the 'new' one has the standard pickups and I wonder if my previous 'upgrade' was a bit premature as I really like the tone of this one. Ironic as I bought it specifically to route for a neck humbucker to make my own 'hot rod' Tele.

Tele 1.jpg

The 'new' (2008 model) one that arrived this week:
    Front body.jpg

4. danohat

danohat Senior Member

20170821_195427.jpg
    94 Mexi Tele Special.

5. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic Senior Member

This thread was started in 2011

Who likes this.
  6. Breezin

Breezin Senior Member

Its funny you should say that. I bought in to all that "Squire Love" and got
    a classic vibe 50's strat, and have come to the same conclusion.
    I'm now trying to sell it on CL.

I had a Japanese squire back in the 80's and
    at the time I thought it was quite good.
    Now, I'm not sure if it was, or I just didn't know any better.

The American standard I just bought will arrive tomorrow.

Who likes this.
  7. sonar

sonar Senior Member

The 80's Squires are quite good.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Senior Member

I'd agree with that; I still have my Squier Strat bought new in 1982, a '57 reissue effectively, one of the first made in Japan models. I've tried many other Strats over the last 35 years and still prefer mine (mostly due to the 'vintage' fingerboard radius and thin frets that many new Strats don't have). Just had it re-freted and fully set up and it plays perfectly for me. I decided to treat it to a new set of Bareknuckle Apache pickups, but to be honest it doesn't really seem to sound any different, just has a touch more output than before.

9. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Have they stopped making Teles in Mexico?
    I was ready to be a believer. I have a Baja Tele, and before that a MiM standard Tele.

I picked up a few Classic Player Teles in stores. They looked great. They felt and played.... not great.

I was very surprised. First off, I was surprised it could make that much difference in a Tele. I thought these guitars were more in the league of the cheapest Squier Affinitys I've picked up. The quality of finish was better, but not the quality of the guitar.

10. Chicago John

Chicago John Senior Member

Mexican teles are really good guitars, stock, but you can mod it, if you want, as your finances improve to fine tune it to your liking without worrying about affecting its resale value. Another good thing about them is that they are truly almost indestructible, so you don't have to worry about them. It's a cliche, I know, but they are really like tanks, and chipping them at a gig is no big deal. The MIM have very good playability, too. I find the necks very comfortable. You will be tempted to mod the hell out of it, but be careful about how much you do this. You may end up spending more than you would have on an American standard...

11. GySgtFTL

GySgtFTL Senior Member

Wow. This thread was dead for over six years and made a comeback.
    I have a 2012 Mex standard tele that I bought new for my daughter. She stopped playing after about six months and aside from the occasional strum, the guitar set in its case for about four years.

Last week I bought a set of Seymour Duncan Quarter-pound stack pups and an Emerson pre-wired switch (with pots and jack). I also acquired a new Weller Soldering iron. And although I've never soldered anything close to guitar electronics, I managed to change it all out without any major issues. I watched and read several tutorials and videos prior to even beginning the project which helped immensely.

It literally took me seven hours to complete the task. But it was my first time and I was being very careful.
    I took detailed pictures at every step so I could reference how things were in the event I got lost.

After getting the guitar back together I fired up the amp for the moment of truth and was amazed at how great it sounded. Those pups and the pots upgrade have made this tele my new favorite.
    I had to adjust the pickup height a bit but after dialing in I really like those pickups.

DarrellV likes this.
  12. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

After a few years you'll be ready to move up to one of these! LOL!!! :Ohno:Good job! :thumb:
    Butane powered cordless! Hot as the blazes..:run:
    True, it's a Mexican Strat, but they are close cousins!

GySgtFTL likes this.