Mexican Telecasters

Discussion in 'Fender' started by tom .p., Jan 9, 2011.

1. tom .p.

tom .p. Member

I'm looking to get my hands on a telecaster and at the minute American made ones are out of my price range. What do you guys think of the mexican ones? Would I be better off getting a mexican made telecaster or one of Japan's brands (Tokai, Burny etc.)

And can someone give me a rough idea of how much one will cost in the UK?

2. colchar

colchar Banned

My Mexican Strat is great value for the money and I expect the Teles to be the same. If you go up a bit in price to the Classic Series they are amazing value for the price.

3. splinteh

splinteh Senior Member

Get a Baja Tele

Malikon likes this.
  4. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I have a Mexican standard Tele, that I am perfectly happy with. Supposedly some years are better than others, but I refuse to obsess over that, since I got what I wanted anyway.

MooCheng likes this.
  5. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

I love MIM Strats and Teles. I mod all of mine with new pickups and wiring and sometimes hardware but they are great guitars especially compared to Squier's and such. MIMs FTW!

RobertF likes this.
  6. sted

sted Senior Member

Decent guitars mate, just make sure you're happy with it as they dont go for much second hand!

7. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

well, I will argue they are "better" now than they have were in the pas. they have alder bodies, not poplar, and nicer (IMO) pickups. Ive had several MIMs from the 00-05 range, and all of the ones I have played in the past year or 2 were nicer. I'm thinking of buying a new one in the next few months in fact

OP, thats another vote for MIMs :thumb: MIJ's are nice too, but aren't as easy to come by, its best to play around with a few/several and go with the best one you can find (though I have found them to be more consistantly good in recent years)

8. tom .p.

tom .p. Member

OK thanks guys - I'm really getting into Keith Richards's playing at the minute and just blues in general.

Roughly how much would a nice MIM set me back then?

9. studio1087

studio1087 Senior Member

I don't know what they cost where you live but I have a Nashville Tele and a Tele Custom (both Mexi) and I love them. My 60th Anniversary Strat is also a Mexi.

You know that all the necks are made in the States and the USA and Mexi factories are 18o miles apart right?

The Mexi guitars are great.

10. L60N

L60N Senior Member

£500-800 ish.

I like my mim tele, went for a RW 50s Blonde. No complaints. :)

[​IMG]

Malikon likes this.
  11. tom .p.

tom .p. Member

That looks awesome!

Would love a blonde one - where did you get it L60N?

12. twangydave

twangydave Senior Member

+1 for the baja tele - neck is awesome, pick-up are great - wiring and s1 switch is a bit meh, I replaced mine with 50s wiring and it really opened up the tone.

Malikon likes this.
  13. L60N

L60N Senior Member

Dawsons mate. I went to the store in Manchester, played it, loved it and decided to buy. I had the cash but took the offer of a 0% finance to ease things. Payed a small deposit and then 9 monthly payments of around £45.

Thanks for the compliment on her.

Teles are real nice mate, you wont go wrong with one. :thumb:

14. dcooper830

dcooper830 Senior Member

I just got a Mexican Tele about a month ago.

Midnight Wine Standard Telecaster.

I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!! It plays and feels very smooth and solid. It feels a little nicer than my American Special Tele.

The only thing I didn't like was the stock pickups are too dark sounding. But thats not a quality issue.... thats the way they're supposed to sound.

They actually sound very good, but they're warm and phat........ whereas I like more bite out of a Tele.

So I replaced them with a set of Fender Original Vintage Telecaster pickups and that totally got me the sound I was looking for.

Now this MIM Tele plays and sounds AMAZING!!

[​IMG]

15. sollophonic

sollophonic Senior Member

Very happy owner of three MIM Teles here;-

50s Classic. Stock apart from 4 way switch, and various pickguard changes. My favorite Tele, and if I had to sell them off, would be the last to go.

[​IMG]

2006 MIM Standard. Vintage style bridge, baseplate added to bridge pickup, both pickups wired in series on middle setting, Squier CV50s pickguard

[​IMG]

2004 MIM Standard Wine Red. Vintage style bridge, Lawrence Keystones, 4 way switch, tan leather guard. Twang machine!!

[​IMG]

I also own a CV50s Squier Tele, but I prefer all my MIMs.

16. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

I love my MIM Tele. The only things I have done to it was get a 5 way switch, changed the pickups to SD Hotrails bridge and neck and routed the pickguard for a tele neck pickup for the middle position, and I installed Dunlop Strap Locks.

17. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

5 way? never heard of that on a 2 pickup Tele :hmm:

18. Indyclone

Indyclone Senior Member

I have a 5 way installed in my 2 pickup (single coil Duncan '54's) MIM Tele.

1. Bridge
    2. Bridge and Neck
    3. Neck
    4. Neck with tone choke, I had it like an esquire when I first wired it, with a cap...
    5. Neck and Bridge in series (humbucking)

It's just a standard 5way switch too... not a super switch, I found the diagram at Deaf Eddie's site.

19. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

I am moving the neck single coil to the middle position

20. TerribleRacket

TerribleRacket Senior Member

Aware that guitars can become hideously expensive in the UK, a possible plan B might be a Squier Classic Vibe (CV) Tele. The CV series' reputation has ballooned in recent years and are generally (though far from universally) thought to be a shrewd purchase.

The main drawback to the CV is that you're adding one more thing to your list of components that automatically need to be replaced. With the MIM Teles, you rip out the wiring, swap the switch, and typically lose the pots while you're at it. With the CVs, you generallly want to add the pups to that list and you may find yourself doing a bit of auxillery fret filing on the side of the neck--I've been lucky in this regard, others report calamity. Depending upon your taste in pickups, the CV might be a false economy as a result of the high likelihood of a pending pup swap.

I'm not sure whether you're comfortable with the idea of playing a Squier, but since you mentioned you were interested in Japanese copies as an alternative, I thought it might be helpful to put in the good word for the CVs as an additional plan B. After all, we're talking Teles and that means a good body and neck combo--the rest will be replaced, and tweaked, and swapped, and modded, ad infinitum.

Malikon and 5F6-A like this.