Metallica Pedal

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by jw3571, Apr 16, 2018.

1. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

Can anyone recommend a pedal to give that Metallica type tone? I'm using a Marshall SL5, I have a Boss SD1, but was hoping for something more close.

2. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

I have an SL5 and a Les Paul. I have no problem getting OLD Metallica tone. If you want the Black album and newer you need Boogies and EMGs.

3. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

You need a Mesa Boogie amp! Maybe the Mesa V-Twin pedal would get you there? Or something from the Tech 21 Sansamp series?

4. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

On the Kill'em All album Hetfield used a Marshall Plexi, Seymour Duncan Invader pickup and a Rat distortion pedal.

QuicksilverSS and Rich like this.
  5. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

My mesa throttle box eq gets everything mesa from a Boogie to a triple rectifier. Or an acceptable facsimile of those amps for a bedroom player. Btw this is thru a Fender blues junior, so id imagine that thru a marshall it should work well.

6. cnote

cnote Premium Member

Digitech's discontinued dirt cheap Metal Master pedal was geared to 90s Metallica tones. Does it pretty well in the right hands with a high headroom clean Fender style amp. One trick.

KEA was not an invader pickup - MJ at SD told me after looking in her log book it was a custom pickup for him with two rows of screw poles, Alnico 5 magnets. Then he did both RTL and MOP with the stock Dirty Fingers in his Gibson Explorer - there is a pic in the recent book of him playing out with that Explorer with the stock pickups after they were done with MOP. On the MOP tour switched to EMGs, never looked back. Also, some say he used TAG pickups in either the Explorer or the Jackson V. Tom Anderson told me he never sent pickups to Hetfield, but did send some to Kirk around that time, and Tom Anderson pickups might have been in their Jacksons.

Hetfield used a RAT on KEA with his modded Marshall, which was stolen. He used a tubescreamer with a stock JCM800 for RTL, and of course the Boogies with Aphex Parametric EQs in the loop for MOP and AJFA.

7. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

Depends on which era you're talking about.

If you want anything that sounds modern (and good), then you need a new amp. Preferably a Boogie.

8. coupe89

coupe89 Senior Member

I have read and seen in interviews that Kirk has always used a tubescreamer.

9. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Cheap option... Try an EQ pedal after your gain stage, it will help quite a bit. You can really shape the voicing of your gain.

The Mesa VTwins are great little units but pricey, you'd be better off buying a boss katana amp, cheaper and does metallica tones really well, and a while lot more. Insane amps for the price, ive been saving for one myself, but... Dentist:facepalm:

10. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member