Mesa Lonestar 2x12 Combo

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Gridlock, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

just bought a nice Lonestar for about 1/2 price of what I usually see these sell for on the used market. Good condition and even has the foot switch. I'll pick it up sometime this week.

I think that this Boogie will eventually replace my Mark IIB. Both heavy amps, but the 1x12 Mark IIB is about the same weight as the 2x12 Lonestar.

I think that it will be a lot more versitle than my IIB which is a good thing now that I am in a new band.

Any thoughts or experience with this amp?

73171 and jeff_farkas like this.
  2. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Guess not much experience with this amp here, lots of views and no comments etc.

3. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

I heard my friend play his Lonestar 2X12, and it sounded incredible. Excellent cleans, and nice breakup. Takes pedals well. It still sounded great on the 10W setting from what I heard of it.

I think Andy Timmons used one along with a Stilletto Duece in the past, though I'm not sure if he still does.. Andy sounds fantastic, but that probably has more to do with the player.

Gridlock likes this.
  4. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Thanks, picking up the amp very soon.

5. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I used to have the blue/silver Lonestar. It was a 2x12. I only have fond memories of it. I was younger then and played in a metal band, so while the sound was awesome the "look" was wrong. These days I wouldn't care (or it really wouldn't matter), but at the time the "look" of the band was important (silly, but true).

I used with an ESP MII Deluxe (SD pickups) and it was a very smooth sounding amp. Clean it was very much like my Fender Bassman 100. Dirty is was smoother and more refined than my Rivera - a GREAT lead guitar amp.

Congrats and enjoy!!

Gridlock likes this.
  6. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Got this amp (blue with silver grill LSC) and also a Fender Vibro King at the same time. Jammed with the Vibro King last night. The Mesa will take some more time to learn.

Hopefully the hurricane is not to bad this weekend (in Florida) and I can experiment some more with the Lonestar.

mmd likes this.
  7. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Ah...the Vibro King s a great amp!! Yeah, the Mesa ALWAYS takes more time to learn, lol....it's the biggest thing that keeps me away from them. When I hear one dialed in, it is glorious. I can never get there, lol. The last Mesa I had was the MKV:25 around this time last year. I couldn't get anything but a killer lead tone.

Yeah, the hurricane, lol. I am riding it out at home since we are not in an evac zone. It has been CRAZY TOWN over here in St. Pete. While it's obviously a serious storm, the grocery stores have been empty since MONDAY!!!!! Be safe man!!

Gridlock likes this.
  8. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Same on the other side of the bay. Crazy.

Looks like we are going to get more of this hurricane than originally thought. I'm in an "E" Zone so hopefully we are okay. Wish you and your family the best.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    mmd likes this.
  9. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Thanks, man. Yeah....it's getting kinda scary now. The best to you and yours, as well.

Gridlock likes this.
  10. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

Our prayers are with you all.

Even here in Charlotte, NC there is no bottled water to be found in the stores, and gas stations are running out of gas. I really need to invest in a standby generator.

I hope you find some time to enjoy the Lonestar!

mmd and Gridlock like this.
  11. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Senior Member

I had the 1X12 Lone Star Special. Good tone, but not enough gain for me, so I sold it.

Gridlock likes this.
  12. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

It's a loud sonovabitch, I'll tell you that! I played one in a store and wow!! That thing is amazing.
    I think you'll really love it.
    Hard to go wrong with Mesa, if you pick the right one for your needs and spend time with it, mixing it into your rig, and adjusting where you need to.

Gridlock likes this.
  13. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Played the LSC a bit last night with good results.

Hurricane prep all day today. It is heading our way right now.

Hope we all (Florida) stay safe.

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  14. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

I pray those of you in Florida made it through Irma's fury.

Gridlock and mmd like this.
  15. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Thanks Eaglewolf, we made out pretty good, never lost power and no home damage. Lost a large Oak tree in the back of the lot. My parents lost power and their condo had some damage. I'll get them today.

Hope everyone else here made out okay.