[Merged] Hayden pedal thoughts and questions

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by hayden, Aug 27, 2014.

1. hayden

hayden Member

Hahah just did right after I posted this in the Squawk Box. Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know what I get

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I'm surprised they let you post another thread:lol:

1 person likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Senior Member

The best advice I can give you is to be patient and buy what you really want rather than what you can afford. It far cheaper in the long run to buy once rather than buy what you can afford and upgrade later. I've learned this the hard way with every hobby I've ever had.

There are a ton of great options once you break into the $400-$600 range. With your existing cabs I'd also take a look at older Traynor YBA-1 heads. . .Canadian Plexi baby! I've seen most of them go in the $400 range.

Fender
    Traynor
    Orange
    Vox
    Egnator

2 people like this.
  4. northernguitarguy

I guess this is where I'm coming from. I've lost money from pulling the trigger, so I suppose I'm trying to steer you clear of this. However, I don't factor in the learning from those experiences, as Brocko mentioned.

Regardless, with an open mind, this will be fun! As I said before, start a new thread with your questionnaire replies, you will get a better response than by just leaving a post in the sticky thread.

One other amp I suggest you investigate is the Traynor Ironhorse. I often see them selling for under $400 used and they are a sweet amp for Blues/Rock.

Traynor Amps

5. Tweaker

Tweaker Senior Member

I've read mixed reviews about the Bugera amps, but on a budget, they may be worth looking at. You'll read all sorts of reviews about them...it's no secret they had quality control issues early on, but apparently those issues have been resolved and are good amps for the price now.

Granted, I've never used one, but I've considered picking one up just because they don't cost a lot, and it's always cool to have a couple amps :D

But yes, if you can bump up the budget a bit, the Egnater Tweaker becomes an option, and in my opinion, its the greatest amp out there :dude:

1 person likes this.
  6. hayden

hayden Member

Really... I've seen Tweakers go for about 150$ on Amazon... if they're so great they might be worth looking into...

7. Tweaker

Tweaker Senior Member

All I'm seeing on Amazon for the Tweaker head is $400+ and cabs going for about $250...I think you'll be hard pressed to get a Tweaker for $150. Same story on ebay...I'm thinking if you saw a Tweaker for $150 it was just the cab.

1 person likes this.
  8. hayden

hayden Member

By looking on camelcamelcamel.com, you can track the price of Amazon items. At it's lowest, the Tweaker head drops to 150$

9. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

I believe it does. Internal speaker is a 10", though.

10. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

How much do second hand Laney's run to around your way? A VC30 1x12 combo would be <= $400 here, I think, and they're pretty flexible amps, good cleans, good reverb and a drive channel for when you want tube overdrive. :)

2 people like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Senior Member

They're not very common over here; I don't think I've ever seen one for sale used.

12. Batman

Batman Senior Member

One more option;

A used Peavey Classic 30.

2 people like this.
  13. northernguitarguy

Best suggestion yet, to get Hayden into a great tube amp for around $300+.

14. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Yeah ideally don't spend a huge wedge on an amp that is wrong. But he is a young kid by the sounds of it The playing experience is gonna be much more important. Get an amp, something loud and half decent and go and piss off the locals!

If he has just started gigging, it's likely most of the venues he playing at will be a) empty b) acoustically poor c) licensed premises so he'll be getting so drunk he won't care what he's playing - lol

Seriously though Hayden these guys know their stuff so if you want decent gear, their advice is golden. They have made the mistakes so you don't have to.

But then again, where is the fun in that?

I'll shut up now.

3 people like this.
  15. hayden

hayden Member

No, I appreciate the help. The majority of my gigs are at either outdoor festivals locally, or performances in my school auditorium, both of which have PA systems and sound guys, and I'm not old enough to drink.

2 people like this.
  16. hayden

hayden Member

I do appreciate the feedback, however I don't appreciate the naive stereotypes about my age. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm a) a bad musician or b) play in bad venues with bad crowds

17. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Hayden, chill it was just a light hearted joke.

Most of us play in crappy venues a lot of the time. People show up to gigs not because they have been following our music for years but because they want to go out and have a good time.

And at no point did I say you were a bad musician. I made no comment on that.

I said that

a) a lot of gigs will be empty - this is true for a lot of us starting out. Or even who have been playing for years. If you are lucky enough to play in front of 5000 people every time I'm pleased for you!

B) rubbish venues - which you have pretty much confirmed. School auditoriums are usually general purpose so the acoustics are not great, unless of course you go to a rich private school and they have a purpose built auditorium. But then you wouldn't be quibbling about a few bucks on an amp. Outdoor gigs can be the same - speaker placement and type has to be a compromise. The presence of a sound man in no way guarantees quality of sound sadly.

C) the comment about drinking was a joke. But as you get older, you might have a few drinks. It has a magical effect of making think you are playing like Hendrix but actually you are being pretty sloppy and turning everything up way too loud.

Good luck with your amp choice but don't fret too much. We are spoilt for choice these days - for the money you are spending, you will get something decent and useable whatever you buy. If it is not exactly right, you can flip it or tweak it with your pedal array. Sometimes you just don't know what exactly the right thing is until you have used a few that are not right.

One last piece of advice - if you get your chosen gear and are happy with it, inevitably someone will come along and tell you about something better and you should get that instead. Nod politely, thank them for their advice and carry on as you were!

3 people like this.
  18. hayden

hayden Member

I apologize for overeacting. It was just a joke, and I didn't take it as one. Thank you for your wise advice. I know I can get a hot head, and this time, it got the best on me! Thanks again for your help!

1 person likes this.
  19. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Hey no problem Hayden. I was sorry you took offence. I'm gome from a sports background so I'm used to banter and often take it too far!

How's the gear hunting going? Any decisions yet? The tone chasing is a never path, I just spent £165 on a tremolo I don't really need....

1 person likes this.
  20. hayden

hayden Member

Well, I recently took a trip to my local music store and tried out a Blues Junior. It sounded absolutely amazing! So I think I've decided on that, I just have to wait for it to go down in price on Amazon (past stats have told me it'll go down to 250$!), so that's what I'm waiting on!

2 people like this.