[Merged] Hayden pedal thoughts and questions

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by hayden, Aug 27, 2014.

1. StandingWave

StandingWave Senior Member

My guitar teacher uses a HRD for jazz gigs. It sounds great, even when he occasionally kicks in the gain channel for solos.

1 person likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Senior Member

This is true. . .I've never played an Orange amp and I hesitate to make suggestions on gear I haven't used.

I really liked the drive channel on mine but I seem to be the exception. I think there is an expectation that the drive channel will sound like a Marshall but without the Marshall tone stack this simply isn't realistic. The drive and more drive sound more like a Dumble due largely to the tone stack but it's a completely useable drive tone.

As a pedal platform it is excellent! With the 6L6 tubes it has a big bottom end with plenty of thump for an open back combo, but it has great sound dispersion as well for the same reason. If you are a pedal user, it is close to the perfect gigging amp.

3. hayden

hayden Member

For me, unless I can get a really good deal on a used one, I think the Hot Rod Deluxe might be out of my price range. The Blues Junior and the Pro Junior are the perfect price, especially since on Amazon, the price can drop on the BJ to almost 250$

1 person likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Senior Member

Yeah, used HRDs are usually around $400 but, the difference between 15 watts and 40 watts is pretty significant in terms of clean headroom.

Plus, 6L6 just sounds better to my ears than 6V6.

5. hayden

hayden Member

Yeah, this is what I was thinking:

Epi Les Paul > Pedalboard > ABY Pedal /Micro Terror > Orange 112
    \Fender Blues Junior lll > Orange 112

6. hayden

hayden Member

If I could find one at that price, that would be great. My max price is 300$, and I'm certain I can find a Blues Junior for that price, used or new. So if I can find an HDR, great, but if not, the Blues Junior is still an amazing amplifier

7. hayden

hayden Member

And even a Pro Junior would be good at the right price

8. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Thank you, good man!

Those cabs are loaded with Celestion V30s, which IMO, are perfect for RAWKing tones.

I don't know your location, but in my observations, 99% of major brand amps loose a lot of dollar value, the second they leave the store. If money is a big issue, I suggest that used is the way to go, but educate yourself before going out. Middle-aged dudes who baby their gear are often better to buy from than young rockers who don't take care of their gear (no offense, ya puppy!:))

You've started so many threads here regarding tone, I think it would be a mistake to go out and get what you can afford, rather than think it through and get what you really want. TBH, $300 isn't going to get you a lot of choices, but get your savings up to $500 and the opportunities expand, especially if you're in the US. For example, I've seen used Mesa Translantic 15 heads sell up here around Toronto for as low as $600, they would likely sell for less in the US. Or, an Orange Dual Terror for the same. For my money, that's a lot more amp than a Blues Junior and it would nicely compliment those ballsy Orange cabs that are starving with the meager output of the Micro Terror.

1 person likes this.
  9. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Id say this is good advice BUT sometimes you only learn from experience. Just get the gear you can afford and use it. Ok you might have to sell it later at a loss, but you will have learned what you do want and had fun in the process.

No right or wrong ways of doing things, just different approaches!

1 person likes this.
  10. StandingWave

Research the amps to see what will work for you and what won't. Ideally, that means playing them first. Some things sound great on paper or in a discussion, then suck in person. The converse also can be true. The three amps are fairly different. If the 'right one' is out of your budget, expand your search or save up. Getting the wrong amp because the price is right can ultimately be a more expensive option in the long run.

There is (or used to be) an amp-buying checklist over in the Squawkbox forum. You might run through that, then test your conclusions with a new thread there.

11. hayden

hayden Member

I'm Canadian, so Kijiji would be an excellent place to start, as I've already seen Hot Rod Deluxes going for 400$ on Kijiji. I have my heart set on a Fender combo, whether a Blues Junior, an HRD, or even a Deville if I can find one. I'm sure, based on past experiences, that 300$ could get me a Blues Junior. In my opinion, the BJ is the best clean amp than I can get for that price, and would perfectly complement the Orange.

1 person likes this.
  12. northernguitarguy

Brocko, knows his stuff, good advice! I still say buy reliable-used, have some extra dough for a couple of those pedals you're GASsing for!:dude:

13. StandingWave

I see them here often for US$350 and under. HRD IIIs, that is. In excellent shape.

1 person likes this.
  14. northernguitarguy

Carry on!

15. hayden

hayden Member

I'll research used BJs and HRDs and see what I can find. Thanks for your help guys!

16. hayden

hayden Member

Thanks man! Just curious, if you have any other recommendation for for amps with good clean tones that can be found used or new under 300. Just curious. ahaha and thanks for all the responses and patience through my ignorance of amps.

1 person likes this.
  17. northernguitarguy

You may want to fill in the questionnaire and then post a response thread in 'The Squawk Box'. The replies/suggestions/opinions will fly like a jet.

Seriously, I think limiting your budget to $300 is a mistake, and yes I know you're a youngin' on a budget. A part time job or some birthday/holiday dough along with a little patience could open up your options. Also, feel free to post kijiji ad links for the forum's scrutiny. :thumb:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/98257-pre-amp-buying-questionaire.html

18. hayden

hayden Member

Thanks so much my friend.

How much would you like to spend?
    250$

What's the absolutely most you will spend?
    300$

How many years have you played guitar?

Do you seek tone quality or versatility?
    Both

What is your primary guitar (include pup type and configuration)?
    Les Paul HH, Strat SSS

What style(s) of music do you primarily play?
    Blues, rock, blues rock, progressive rock

What guitarists do you wish to emulate?
    David Gilmour, Steve Hackett, Eric Johnson, Alex Lifeson

Do you prefer to plug straight in, or will you be using effects?
    Use effects

* If you plug straight in, you will likely require 2 or more channels
    * If you use effects, you may prefer an effects loop

What will be the primary use of the amp?
    Studio, recording, jamming, gigging in small venues

Do you prefer a combo or head/cabinet (and why)?
    Either one, I already have two cabinets, so both would be good

What amplifier(s) do you have/had and why do you want a change?
    I don't want to change, I would just like to add another amp to my aresenal

Please list five amps (minimum) that you have researched (if you can't do this, you're not serious)

1. Fender Blues Junior lll
    2. Fender Junior Pro lll
    3. Vox Lil Night Train/Night Train
    4. Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 18
    5. Fender Super Champ 15H

What did you like about them?
    1. Great clean tones, fantastic reverb
    2. Good clean tones
    3. Classic Vox saturated, trebly crunch tones
    4. Great dirt and overdrive tones, shoddy cleans
    5. Classic Fender clean

What did you not like about them?
    1. Nothing
    2. No reverb, limited controls, no EQ
    3. Not enough amp for the money
    4. shoddy cleans
    5. fake sounding crunch tones

2 people like this.
  19. StandingWave

JJ 6V6s sound more like 6L6s, so that's an option. I have JJs in all three of my 6V6 amps. EL-84s I'm less crazy about.

1 person likes this.
  20. northernguitarguy

Excellent, now post this in 'The Squawk Box' for best responses.