Memphis ES-Les Paul – is there anything negative?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Mr Alarm, Sep 10, 2017.

1. nitrodave08

nitrodave08 Senior Member

My '14 ESLP was my goto for what I call "raunchy" sound. I was the second guitar that I ever picked up off the wall and it was Yup. Then when I plugged it in, it was Hell Yeah.
    The only time I did not play it was when I wanted something clean to smooth dirty and I picked up the TradProII. Then I got the R9 and I very seldom picked anything else up. I waited a year to make sure it wasn't the R9 fever and it was the same. Then I decided to downsize and let it go. I would have taken the TradProII in but it holds some personal memories for me.

Personally, I would not switch to the ESLP for an R8. I got $1500 for it (paid $2700) and GC Ft Collins has it up for $2000.

It had one the best peek-a-boo tops on it that I have ever seen. Flamed like crazy when horizontal (playing pos.)
    [​IMG]

Mr Alarm and FlameTop like this.
  2. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I played 4 at the end of 2015. They all had the same issue: the Memphis pups were not for me. I found them utterly lacking in any dynamics whatsoever. They were the least-responsive Gibson pups I've ever played. No, let me change that. They were completely non-responsive. Maybe that makes them great for finger picking styles?

I wasn't willing to take the risk (and expense) of getting one and changing the pups to see if there was a better instrument hiding somewhere in there.

Just my experience. I haven't tried any earlier or later models, so no idea how representative it was. They weren't all in the same store, but I did play them all in the same week.

Mr Alarm and FennRx like this.
  3. Trogly

Trogly Premium Member

ES-LPs have been falling in price lately due to Chicago Music Exchange blowing out all their floor models around $1650 - pair that with a 15% off sale and that's a deal on pretty much all colors. The market previously was around 1700-2000 for a used one depending on color/top. Now that CME is selling them cheap, other 2nd hand models have to be lower in price in order to sell. Once CME is out of their stock - Give it some time and I bet their value will rise again to their previous point. They are a really good deal in the sub-1500 category.

ES LPs are good guitars, but not a 'true' les paul as they have a few quirks. I've owned 3 of them. I think they are great bedroom guitars for people that like to practice acoustically/don't like to plug in all the time. They have a stock abr1 bridge which makes them historic looking, but without the historic price tag. It helps that they usually have really nice tops/finishes.

Some cons to them are they are almost too light, which makes them feel like a cheap toy in comparison to a full weight les paul. I've had some in the 6lb range and one in the 7lb range and I definitely liked the slightly heavier one more. I also hate that the neck is raised up on the body where it is usually more flush and the top doesn't have the carve I'm used to - that's the biggest deal breaker for me as a personal guitar. They are a good option to consider though.

However, the biggest thing is - how do they compare to a Historic? The answer may surprise you

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Mr Alarm likes this.
  4. FlameTop

FlameTop Senior Member

I think they really should be called ES Les Paul not ES Les Paul :)

I feel the main problem people have with them is being in a 'i'm picking up a Les Paul' mindset, rather than 'I'm picking up a semi-hollow'.

Mr Alarm likes this.
  5. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Mirrors my experience as well.

Guitar looked nice. Felt nice. Sounded no better than an epiphone. They both had a generic , uninspiring sound.

Mr Alarm likes this.
  6. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

They make one without F holes, pretty cool. Jenton70 had one for sale a month ago I think.

Mr Alarm likes this.
  7. mudface

mudface Senior Member

The only negative that i can think of.................Is that I don't have one!
    I want the one without the jumbo F-holes.......Ok.......that didn't seem to come out right....:D

Mr Alarm likes this.
  8. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I have had my finger on the trigger several times, about to buy one. The only thing holding me back is I already own a 335, a 330, and an Epi Sheraton. I'd love to add an ESLP, though. :thumb:

Robert Arthur, Mr Alarm and JMB1984 like this.
  9. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Me, too, not to mention that I already have more Les Paul's than I can play now.

Mr Alarm and mdubya like this.
  10. JMB1984

JMB1984 Premium Member

My feelings exactly. I already own an ES 330 and 345 which both do the ES thing much better than then the ES LP. My problem with the ES LP is that the center block is so minimal that it lacks the same focus that the regular size center block in guitars like the 335 or 345 have. I guess the ES LP is good if you want a smaller hollowbody though and I might choose it over a smaller body ES such as a 339.

Mr Alarm and mdubya like this.
  11. Mr Alarm

Mr Alarm Senior Member

First I thought that instead the Historics forum this thread belonged to Les Pauls forum. Now I understand that Other Guitars would be better! Or Mythinline forum, if there were such. Allsemihollow?

12. Mr Alarm

Mr Alarm Senior Member

Hmm... this did NOT help my GAS: they sound VERY same, and when different, ES-LP sounds better!

Oh my...

(PS. Trogly: keep Yor eye on the correct tuning of guitars reviewed. Even the slightest out-of-tuning distracts so that You can't listen the sound but just get irritated.

PPS: Points for the Focus riff! One of my favourites from 70's!)

mdubya likes this.
  13. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

Apparently at Andertons, these things sell more than the ES-335s.

Mr Alarm likes this.
  14. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Is there any neck dive on these?

Mr Alarm likes this.