Memphis ES-Les Paul – is there anything negative?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Mr Alarm, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Mr Alarm

Mr Alarm Senior Member

I have been GASsing ES-Les Pauls since I saw it first time. Now I see people asking: why is there so many little used ES-Les Pauls for sale so cheap?

Is this true or only talk of the envy ones? If it is true, is there some reason for it?

I played one in a store shortly. I thought it was fantastic. I just don't know will it be so good that I can sell my exceptionally good R8 to fund it...

2. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

A) What have you heard that is negative?
    B) How cheap are you finding them?
    C) Since you have an "exceptionally good" guitar, why would you consider sellling it?

Mr Alarm likes this.
  3. Mr Alarm

Mr Alarm Senior Member

A) The thing is that there is only the question: "why are so many selling them so cheap?" But no answer. That is what I am interested in too, the question is not my invention!

B) The cheapness is also in that question. I don't even know where those myriads of cheap used ES-Les Pauls are for sale! Not here in Finland.

C) The weight. R8 is twice as heavy.

Who likes this.
  4. PierM

PierM Premium Member

I don't think you should pick an ES as a substitute for a R8. They are really different beasts.
    As for the used value, of course these have WAY less demands than full body LPs, so they can't (yet at least) retain the value same way as a reissue. It's just a niche market at the moment.

Mr Alarm likes this.
  5. Mr Alarm

Mr Alarm Senior Member

This is one explanation for a possible crowd of cheap used ones: people have bought ES-Les Pauls thinking that they get a Les Paul. And when they find out that they are not Les Pauls they get rid of them.

Is here a lot of ES-Les Paul owners who have had them for years and still love them?

PierM likes this.
  6. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Well, the ES-LP has been introduced in 2014, so this project it's extremely young. Only time will tell, but I know people who love them. I'm waiting myself an ES-LP next week, but again, I wouldn't ever sell my R8 for one of those. Want them both in the arsenal. In my book I want that ES to enjoy some semi hollow jazzy tone, without the giant body of a ES-335, which I'm not used to (but I'm sure a 339 it's in my future plans). Not saying they'll have same tone as a 335, but probably more something in the middle a LP and a 339.

First time I touched one of these ES-LP was really a weird feeling, used to decades of full solid LPs, so yeah....could be there's people not liking that aspect and they rush the sell. Not a good move if you ask me, for the reasons above.

Mr Alarm likes this.
  7. Mr Alarm

Mr Alarm Senior Member

Yes, I remember the weird feeling too, I almost laughed out loud for the lightness!

I would not mind jazzy kind of sounds and after all I have a R6 for the moments when I want my guitar heavy.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  8. jamman

jamman Premium Member

"good" is subjective . Just as much as "bad" can be , depending on what the context it's used in , is .
    The only important thing is ,,,, Do you like it ?
    It's different from a CS LP and not having the same specs . bottom line is , If you can't test it in hand , there is no way to know ,for sure ,with 100% Certainty if it will meet your requirements and liking ...
    There is where a good return policy becomes really important .

Some like them some don't . I've test a couple and they were OK . But I never bought 1 , so ... didn't do it for me . I like a 356 more ... So I have 1 of those ...

Mr Alarm likes this.
  9. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

I personally do not like them...the F- Holes seem out of scale...to me...

If your looking for an F- hole feel in a R8 body get a CR8 "Chambered Re-issue" they are light weight, and have a similar tone to the ES-335. The body lines are in-interrupted.... I am thinking of getting another CR-8

10. teleboli

teleboli Senior Member

I'll just share my limited experience. I played one when they were first introduced. It was certainly light. Almost too light, to the point that it felt cheap or unsubstantial. Like a pedestrian production guitar. That's from a guy who's used to 5.something lb archtops, 50's Gibsons etc, which DON'T feel cheap, just light.

Anyway, it turned me off them. I really should try another one. I also think they've done some 'Custom Shop' runs, which may be 'better'. On paper a great idea though. Just my very limited experience. YMMV

FennRx, RAG7890 and Mr Alarm like this.
  11. Marshallow

Marshallow Senior Member

If you don't mind lugging around the old LP those ESLPs are redundant in your arsenal but if you need a light LP/small ES-335 they are perfect. Good tone, good pots, good neck profile and featherweight.

Mr Alarm likes this.
  12. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

I've only played a couple of them and was not impressed.

Buy a 339 if you want a LPish semi hollow.

Ymmv

Pop1655 and Mr Alarm like this.
  13. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Problem with the 339/336 type guitar is that upper fret access is worse than a LP

Mr Alarm likes this.
  14. PierM

PierM Premium Member

This wouldn't be a problem for me, since I really hate the sound of those squeaky notes, after 17/18....:p

61LPSG, Mr Alarm and RAG7890 like this.
  15. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Haven't had that problem

Mr Alarm likes this.
  16. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

ES Les Pauls aren't reissues and belong in the other forum.

The only thing I find wrong with them is upper fret access because of the neck angle. The few I have tried also did feel cheap.

Mr Alarm likes this.
  17. FlameTop

FlameTop Senior Member

Love mine. Only negative I can think of is that the Customs have Richlite boards.

Mr Alarm likes this.
  18. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

The only thing that's a "negative" for me is, the shape of the cutaway horn. Too pointy.

Mr Alarm likes this.
  19. Mr Alarm

Mr Alarm Senior Member

You're right. I wondered the same thing when I started this thread but then I thought about the other ES-Les Paul thread in this forum so I thought that they can belong here.

So apologies for the wrong placement and thanks for everybody for their experiences and insights about these guitars!

20. Mr Alarm

Mr Alarm Senior Member

Maybe this is the reason for people selling their ES-LP's cheap (althought I still don't know is there such phenomenon).

And this is a good thing for me too to remember when the tide of ES-LP GAS is rising too high!