May Backing Track of Month

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by kfowler8, May 1, 2013.

1. parts

parts Senior Member

I have been wanting to play more inside.. Using a jam track with horns and organ in a driving rhythm..
    https://soundcloud.com/docc48/12-bar-up-tempo-tone-test-2

Also trying to get a good clean tone..direct in through Line 6 FloorPod+..
    trying to get in and out...between horns.
    Using all three switch positions clean..

The weird thing is my number 1 was always my ES355..but I just seem to meld with the Custom now..
    Need to get into the 355 pickups..too much gain..don't remember the last magnets..maybe ceramics..kinda nasty..

Trying to break in the 355 and the ES175..next.

2 people like this.
  2. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

My second attempt. 2nd Try by JetFixxxer on SoundCloud - Hear the world

Before 1:00 I don't remember what guitar I used I think it was my 2009 Mahogany Studio. After the minute mark was my Bulldog bridge pickup then neck split with bridge pickup, and then finally just neck.

3 people like this.
  3. dpgumby

dpgumby Senior Member

Cutting it fine again! Been a bit busy so I haven't been involved much so far. Anyway, I've put it up on the group page.

https://soundcloud.com/groups/mlp-backing-track-of-may

I’m not sure about this one - it’s a bit ugly compared with some of the musical offerings on here so far - it’s definitely overplayed (couldn’t help myself) and not very disciplined. I’m not sure I’d call it “blues” either, more like banging your head against a brick wall - but I guess that reflects how I was feeling (in general) when I was trying to put this down, so that’s how it came out. But it’s not that bad, or I wouldn’t be posting it (although I feel kind of duty bound to do so – I wasn’t going to admit defeat!)

It’s basically mostly Em Pent/Aeolian, with some Dorian thrown in over the Em/Bm for flavour (particularly over the Bmin to emphasise that 9th (C#) that is in there).

Setup LP Trad -> Boss GT-8 -> Boss MicroBR-80. Effect – a sort of detuned doubled thing. Oh and a bit of wah.

3 people like this.
  4. parts

parts Senior Member

I want to thank you all..this and all of you have got me actually playing again after many years..25 or so..of real music burn out.
    Now i listen to your stuff..play most nights..and actually learned how to rudimentary record..
    Now starting to push myself to get fingers and mind working and looking for things past and things to learn..
    What a great trip..

Born again..
    Lets keep it going guys..thanks..

2 people like this.
  5. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Well I've got about 4 years of backing tracks so we'll keep going as long as there's interest. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I know for me, wanting to get something in monthly forces me to commit to it. That's a good thing.

I just edited the June track. Much more rockin. It's got a cool bridge in it. I'll post it tomorrow night.

2 people like this.
  6. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Cool!

Got my pick all warmed up! :D

7. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

I really liked your take on this track, especially digging the wah. Very nice take.

8. dpgumby

dpgumby Senior Member

Thanks! The wah was a late addition. I was having a lot of trouble getting a take I was remotely happy with, but as soon as I put the wah on, it took me in a different direction - seemed to work.

At the risk of this becoming a mutual admiration society, I really liked your take as well, one of my favourites - loved the descending and ascending melody lines. Am I imagining it or is there a touch of Wishbone Ash about it?

Looking forward now to trying something a bit more up-tempo in June.

1 person likes this.
  9. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

Thanks for the comments, although I'm not really sure what a wishbone ash is. Next months BT will be interesting to see what people come up with.

10. nicbak

nicbak Member

4 people like this.
  11. parts

parts Senior Member

Wishbobe Ash was a very popular band early 70s..
    Wishbone Ash are a British rock band which achieved success in the early and mid-1970s. Their popular records included Wishbone Ash (1970), Argus (1972), There's the Rub (1974), and New England (1976). They were one of the first bands to use twin lead guitars.

Wishbone Ash are considered to be one of the major innovators of the harmony twin lead guitar format. Their contributions helped Andy Powell and Ted Turner to be voted "Two of the Ten Most Important Guitarists in Rock History" (Traffic magazine 1989), and to appear in the "Top 20 Guitarists Of All Time" (Rolling Stone). Melody Maker (1972) described Powell and Turner as "the most interesting two guitar team since the days when Beck and Page graced The Yardbirds".

Formed in Torquay, Devon, in 1969, out of the ashes of trio The Empty Vessels (originally known as The Torinoes, later briefly being renamed Tanglewood in 1969), which had been formed by Wishbone Ash's founding member Martin Turner (bass & vocals) in 1963 and complemented by Steve Upton (drums and percussion) in 1966. The original Wishbone Ash line-up was completed by guitarists/vocalists Andy Powell and Ted Turner. In 1974, Ted Turner left the band, and was replaced by Laurie Wisefield.[1] The band continued on with strong critical and commercial success until 1980.

After revolving line-ups featuring former members from King Crimson, Trapeze, and Uriah Heep, Wisefield left in 1985. In 1987, however, the original line-up reunited for several albums – Nouveau Calls, Here to Hear and Strange Affair – until 1990, when Upton quit the band. After Martin Turner was replaced in 1991, the band recorded The Ash Live in Chicago, before Ted Turner left in 1993.[1]

12. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

Nice touch, with a very bluesy feel to it. Good job.

docc - Thanks for the heads up, I never heard of them but will definately have to check them out.

1 person likes this.
  13. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

14. bluesfunk

bluesfunk Banned

i really like LEFTYF's track you can really hear the jimmy page influence in his playing. It sounds really great.

1 person likes this.