May Backing Track of Month

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by kfowler8, May 1, 2013.

1. parts

parts Senior Member

Same here..
    Helped son move to his first apartment..with smashed finger OF COURSE..then work..then nephews graduation 600 mile drive this weekend...and of course work..

this week maybe..hopefully..I get to start to have a life..

2. Dools

Dools Senior Member

I'm moving to my new house this Friday. I've been packing for the last month and driving 2 + hours a day to work. I plan on getting something else up by the time June's backing track arrives :thumb:

:naughty:

I know personally their are plenty of talented members here among us that should spotlight their talents

3. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

4. parts

parts Senior Member

Ok..first ideas..late at night..guitar clean..slight compression..but mostly the LPC..and old fingers starting to come back..lol
    trying not to overplay..but just a jam track for the feel..
    leaving sonic holes..but need to use some lower string mini vamps..conterpointed to the high bends..
    https://soundcloud.com/groups/mlp-backing-track-of-may

6 people like this.
  5. Dools

Dools Senior Member

I Loved this docc!!! :thumb: I love your tone and notes!

1 person likes this.
  6. parts

parts Senior Member

Thanks.. I wanted to put the guitar well out front..take some chances..bending through..in and out..and be my own sound..
    It was midnight..so I just played it..didn't tune before..and figured to just "stage" compensate while playing

Still getting used to this..been a long time away..
    Looking to get the 355 to record separate stereo tracks with well different EQ..used to do that a few decades ago :)

1 person likes this.
  7. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

Sounds good, and it's a great effect. The Haas effect is a great way thicken up guitar tracks and add some stereo depth. But if you use too much delay you will experience combfiltering, and also could loose the track in a mono mix.

1 person likes this.
  8. parts

parts Senior Member

Playing with the mix.. redid the track in stereo.. then a slight delay..then heavy. Figuring out how to use Audacity..may try a OD next..

9. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

Hope this bump inspires someone to get off their lazy ass and post :)

... like me, perhaps. It's already May 22nd. Where did the month go?

10. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

yea I got distracted.....bump was a good idea. :)

11. Brian in NJ

Brian in NJ Senior Member

My LP is almost put back together. Hoping to carve out some time to record a track this weekend.

12. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

This month seemed a little harder for me because I felt this track is kind of slow and draggy. I stuggled to get a groove and often found myself getting bored playing over it. I think the not so great quality of this track might of played a role in my struggles too. I recorded a lot of different takes and just couldn't get into it.

So I pictured myself standing in the corner on a dirty stage, in a smoked out, dark, with red lights flashing, broken-down strip club, laying down some slick licks while fulfilling the lead role in the house band, as a dirty-butt, bleached bottle blond haired honey comes tramping out from behind the curtian from the back of the stage looking to scam some poor sucker for her $1 tip.

But that didn't realy do it for me either, so after reviewing my many takes, I found my third take was probably my best, so better late than never, I share with you this:

[SC]http://soundcloud.com/gblev/mlp-backtrack-of-the-month-may[/SC]

2 people like this.
  13. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

So this month has been a hard one. It's my busiest month of the year with travel overseas. I wanted to get something in so I put this together this weekend. The clean and the dirty was done in one take and it sounds like it.

The clean came out Pink Floydish. Looking back I should rolled off the tone knob a little. The dirty I was just having fun.

Gear: 1959 LP Replica, Peavey Classic 30, Eminence Lil Texas, Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, SM57.

kfowler8's May Solo

5 people like this.
  14. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

We got June backing up? Looking forward to it.

RNR

LP

1 person likes this.
  15. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

Nice K. Nice vibe & I enjoyed a lot.

LP

Very tasty.

16. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

Nice job, Kevin. Liked the contrast between clean & dirty... maybe just needed another bar of clean in the beginning. I wasn't ready for the grit to kick in just then :) Good work, though!!!

I'm gonna be late this month.... heading out of town for a few days this morning. And, life kicked my ass this month, too. <sigh>

17. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Is it June already? :naughty:

Seriously, I have an idea for one. It's a bit more rockin. I'll take suggestions though if you guys have a preference. The one thing I don't have is Country so sorry about that.

Either way I'll have it up by late Friday night.

3 people like this.
  18. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Yeah I could have had more fun with the clean. I agree. It's more of a challenge to me since it's outside of my comfort zone some. I found recording clean was an entirely different animal.

I had intended on using a harmonica for the second set of bars. It's something I kind of screw around with. Ultimately it was going to take more work than I thought to get it right so I left it out.

19. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

Nice. This can be a fun one. But, I also look forward to the surprise. LP

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/lp01/am-backing-track[/SC]

20. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

I really liked the contrast from the clean to dirty tone, good choice of notes and nice melodic structure. Well done.

Although the chord structure to this backing track was pretty simple, it's a little harder to solo over for an extended period of time with out some kind of interaction. But I really liked the chalenge, after all, that's what this is about right? Hopefully next month we can get one that's a little heavier and with a faster tempo. Thanks again for this thread!

2 people like this.