May Backing Track of Month

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by kfowler8, May 1, 2013.

1. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

OK ladies and gentlemen. It's time to break up with your significant other and grab a bottle of Jack Daniels (I drink Maker's Mark). It's time to think of that good ole dog you had to put down. Tired of "The Man" keeping you down? It's time to sing the BLUES!!!!!

I want to hear your pain! Bare your soul a little. Make me want to cry. You'll need it for this month's solo.

May's track comes again from Marc Seal. It's in the key of Em. I normally would start another thread with the chords but this is the classic 12 bar Blues. Unless I'm mistaken, the chords are Em7 - Am7 - Bm7. I didn't shorten the song as it's only 2:30 min anyway.

Downloard Backing Track Here

Download from here for Audacity

I've created a group in Soundcloud called MLP Backing Track of May. Feel free to post your recordings here so the'll be all consolidated.

Seemed like everyone enjoyed last month's so I hope you enjoy this one. It'll be interesting as the chords are very repetitive throughout. So I think part of the challenge will be keeping the solo from sounding repetitive.

So have at it and most importantly have fun! :jam:

If this is your first time, here are the guidelines.

What is it?
    Every month I'll post a new backing track. It can be from any genre.
    Download the track and record a solo over it.
    Post your solo here along with what gear you used, recording equipment, and effects added. The more description you give the better.
    I'm going to try and keep the backing tracks to under 2 minutes. Anything more is too daunting. Feel free to shorten it even more.
    Try to get your recording in by the 3rd week of the month. We'll start over each month.
    I'll take ideas on backing tracks so if you have a request, let me know.

Why do this?
    Because it'll be fun!
    I think this will be a great way to share ideas and see how each other interpret a piece differently. It will also be a good way to share recording techniques and receive overall feedback on our playing if we desire it.
    This is NOT a competition!!!
    Majority of people on here post great feedback in a helpful constructive way.

"But Bluto I'm scared!!!"
    Look, I get it. Many of us are insecure about posting any of our own playing online. This is a safe place. I'm no guitar god. Keep it fun and I bet you'll learn a thing or two. If you're still unsure, read this: The Man In The Arena. Don't be that cold timid soul.

2. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

Oh yea, Definitely gonna be some slide on this one!

1 person likes this.
  3. River

River Senior Member

If I can find the time (which I probably can), that's getting both a rhythm and a lead track from me.

The rhythm track will mean more to me than the lead.

That's some solid shit.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

OKy Dokey I'm ON it....Slide??? May not happen from me.....

:naughty:

5. parts

parts Senior Member

Very nice Kevin..
    After so many years of not touching the guitar I can't wait for the next installment..
    This is great stuff..

Push me baby..maybe there is life in these old digits..lol

Thanks again..

6. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

That is one hell of a cool backing track! Good choice. :thumb:

On a first listen through I think I hear a couple of ninths too: Em9 & Bm9. Maybe not every time, but I hear them in there - I'll bet my sons' lunch money... :naughty:

"So what?", I hear you say? (Or is it "STFU Huw!" ;) )

The Em9 doesn't make any difference, no. But the Bm9 would give you a C# (the 9th), where you might expect a C (the b3 of the Am chord). That might make no difference to what you intend to play, ot it might give you an extra colour to paint with. You choose. :)

Not really enough to need a separate thread, but you know me - I just have to mention these things. It's a disease.

Did I mention it's a really cool backing track? Looking forward to hear the results.

:)

3 people like this.
  7. Dools

Dools Senior Member

I hear ya there Bro!!!! This is more up my ally. I can still put down Aprils track too, Can't I? I have to move in my new house by May 17th. That means I have some time to do this stuff :thumb: With the little time I have, I'm figuring out Audacity :hmm:

8. Brian in NJ

Brian in NJ Senior Member

Hell, that was a problem for me in April!

After last month's exercise, I at least know how to make a recording. For May I've got to work on getting it to sound better. Musically, this one should be easier (famous last words); we'll see how much soul I can muster.

Thanks for doing this again, Kevin. :thumb:

edit: I've only listened to the track once and ideas are flowing - no guitar nearby! so I'm making notes. Another thing I remember from last month was that I'd have an idea at work, or while driving, and I'd be lucky to remember what the idea was when I sat down with the guitar. I love the sound of the track.

9. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Sure. No reason you can't. May not get as much traffic on that thread now but it's still open.

Glad you guys like the May selection. I'm toying around with what I want to do. Off hand I'm thinking strat and Peavey Classic 30 with a VL Sparkle Drive. I've also got an idea for something a little different but we'll have to see if it works well.

10. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

And, for hacks like me, it gives me a flavor for ideas that normally wouldn't come to mind.... I'm just happy I can get the I-IV-V shit. When you break things down like you do, it makes me think, before picking up the guitar.

And, it gives me an excuse for a flub... "well, I was trying to play off the 9th" :)

1 person likes this.
  11. TheWelder

TheWelder Senior Member

Kfowler8 -

Is this track in a different format from April's track? I was able to download the track to iTunes but for some reason I cannot upload it to my Amplitube program to record over - the program states it doesn't recognize the format. I didn't have this issue with the April track. If anyone has input on how I can figure out a way around this issue it would be great - thanks!

12. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

I don't think so. I didn't have to edit it down but both were MP3 formats. Send me PM with your e-mail and I'll send the you the MP3 directly. We'll try that.

13. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

It worked for Audition 3

I tried a few take last night....will not be a one taker this time....:hmm:

14. parts

parts Senior Member

Loaded fine into Audacity..
    I ran some basic ideas with the ES175..tonight maybe I'll look at the LP..and then the 355 to see about tone..
    I am going DI thru a Line 6 Floor pod..which sounds very much better pre rather than post record.
    Looking to solve that.. May have to drag a larger amp in and mic.. I have a Ant in my study.. modified Traynor , Princeton, and a very sweet but LOUD modified 1967 Gibson GA75 Recording amp in my music room..

Rather just DI this..

15. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

I did like 27, half takes last night and its mostly tones with "Gearbox" that I am having trouble with, I hate every tone that's is on there except 4, and I concocted all of them. I am pulling the strat out....there are more variations and I may just go real clean with a little delay, well see tonight.....

This one is forcing me to re- tune as well, its not ded nuts on 4/40. I will recheck that too, I was having a "bad tone day"....:naughty: that happens....:wow:

16. Dools

Dools Senior Member

I can't load into Audacity for some reason. Audacity is saying it doesn't recognize it. It's saying Try importing it using "Import Raw"
    Help?
    I'll keep trying to download it

17. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

Thank you very much for doing this!! It loaded in Audacity 2.0.3 for me.

18. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

I was able to import to audacity. What version? I have 2.02, but I am not using it.

Are you importing the file under "file" ?

19. Brian in NJ

Brian in NJ Senior Member

I was able to open the file in Audacity v1.3.14.

I use the "open" function under the File menu, as opposed to "import".

20. Dools

Dools Senior Member

I have the most current version "Welcome to Audacity 2.0.3!". I tried under "open" and "import" It just doesn't recognize it for some strange reason.