Matt Lauer is the next to fall...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by FennRx, Nov 29, 2017.

1. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...l-she-accused-of-rape/?utm_term=.f7e0bca9fd45

Here's a case where a man accused of rape was essentially fired from the military simply because of the accusation. He was on the list to be promoted to General and the Army removed him from the list after an accusation, essentially ending his career.

He sued her for defamation and won...but winning in court didn't get his job or his reputation back. We can't have a functioning society when accusations alone are given the same weight as facts and lives and careers hang in the balance.

Malikon, hobbyman, WaywerdSon and 6 others like this.
  2. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I’m sure there’s a pretty intense discussion behind closed doors with the boss before most of these public figures are fired.
    Some of these companies need a healthy public image to survive. You and I might be reprimanded or sent to Idiot School for retraining in Love and Peace, but with celebrities who represent large corporations, it’s risky, if there’s even a chance they did it. For the news, ratings can fall while its being sorted. It’s just a reality. And if they’re found to be guilty, it’s egg on the company’s face, isn’t it?
    When that much money is on the line for that many people, Amputate and Cauterize seems to be the simplest path with the least damage done. They instantly distance themselves, act shocked, and sometimes even come out looking like the Good Guys in the story.

3. Matt_21

Matt_21 Senior Member

And to be honest...it's not like most of these guys will go hungry and have no place to end up but the street.
    Being fired and having millions is different than you or I being fired without 2 nickels to rub together.

4. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

God’s honest truth.

Matt_21 likes this.
  5. Matt_21

Matt_21 Senior Member

And...I have no opinion on whether they're guilty or innocent but, most of them have had YEARS in the spotlight. This is the cycle. Making way for the new guys. The world goes 'round.

6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Do you have actual numbers?

7. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

[​IMG]

danohat likes this.
  8. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

9. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

There is a substantial amount of civil legal precedent and criminal sentencing guidelines for those events within these that are actual crimes. I am no legal expert, but the part that usually leaves you destitute is the civil suits. These guys are fired without any due process. They may be guilty of all the crimes of which they are being accused, but I actually think that they are going to win large settlements with their former employers.

Matt_21 likes this.
  10. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Most employers of any size have what is called Employment Practices Liability Insurance where wrongful termination suits can be brought. Any defamation would not fall under the insurance. I would think that from an insurance point of view the employee would have to prove he/she was terminated for false allegations which means they would have to know their accuser, which in many cases is not happening. Which isn't really fair.

Tone deaf likes this.
  11. Hack

Hack Senior Member

12. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Do you have actual numbers to the contrary?

13. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

This is a really touchy subject.

Malikon, truckermde, Hack and 2 others like this.
  14. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

Weinstein is of the "old school"

The old school, white male, controls the money and the narrative in the entertainment industry.
    Money is power.
    Money creates the hierarchy.
    Money supports the hierarchy.

The new guys see what he does and think, I can do that too. And they get away with it too.
    The "environment" is large enough that it supports itself now.

Although, "technically", what they are doing is bad, it is over looked because those in charge (who are men) are making BIG $$$$ from these predators ( if they too, are not one them selves) and the women (and children) are merely items/stock/tools.

Predators like this survive in the shadows.
    It's nice to see some light shone on them.

The witch hunt for people who (allegedly) slapped some other persons ass 25 years ago is getting thin though.

15. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I think that if they were fired for something that was not proven, they will get paid. It will be a negotiation. The easy ones will be the ones that are in the couple hundred thousand dollars range. The insurance companies will just pay that ("cost of the defense" payout to make it go away). Matt Lauer was due $20-25MM/year. That will be a bit...err...harder to make go away (for both sides). If Lauer makes it a big deal, the network will make it public. However, if no one presses charges against Lauer or is willing to file affidavits with the courts, proving "cause" will be more difficult. In the end, I think both sides want to see these cases settled out of the public eye. The guy fired wants money and the former employers want them to go away.

16. WaywerdSon

WaywerdSon Senior Member

This whole thing basically comes down to one rule I learned in my very early 20s, and it has never failed me. Don't get your meat where you get your bread

17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I'm left groping in the dark for a reply ...

18. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

I've had three relationships in the workplace, all three were initiated by the female. The first two ended amicably, the third one made my life a living hell for two years. I'll never do that again. With that said, many many people look for relationships at work on both sides. Definitely not the smartest move but most of the time there are no repercussions.

19. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I was told "Don't sh*t where you eat."

Malikon, Thumpalumpacus and Caleb like this.
  20. Hack

Hack Senior Member