Matt Heafy Les Paul Custom

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by rjwilson37, Nov 20, 2017.

1. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Hi Everyone,

What are you thoughts on the Matt Heafy Les Paul Custom in SnowFall White. I really like this White Matt Heafy Custom over the Black one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Limited-Edition-Matt-Heafy-Snfall-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar-Outfit-Alpine-White-1500000149017.gc?pdpSearchTerm=matt heafy

I think this is a great looking guitar, but was a little worried about the White Ebony Fretboard. Does anyone think that staining and Ebony Fretboard White will have any affect on the playability. I know that a lot of people talk about an Ebony Fretboard being the best to play on, but I just would like to know everyone's thoughts about this.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

It is a true 'No Go' for me......:rofl::rofl::rofl:

( just not black enough )

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Jymbopalyse and JohnnyN like this.
  3. gcbike

gcbike Silver Supporter

$899 and a gig bag?

4. chupe442

chupe442 Confused as ever..... Premium Member

All that white and only 6 strings?? No way.. As for the white board, it will not be effected tonally with all that high gain and EMG's.. I have always like the Black 7 strings. Even though I would never be able to play it..

5. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Correct, Tonally it may not be affected, but I am more worried about the Playability up and down the fretboard.

6. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

You're buying a guitar like that for looks. Period.

I think it looks cool.

As for "playability", can you tell the difference in playability between your other guitars, based on fretboard texture or material?

jeff_farkas likes this.
  7. PierM

PierM Premium Member

That is a composite Phenolic fretboard, not really stained ebony. It will feels smooth like any other composite material.

8. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

The guitar center listing is wrong. It does not have an ebony fretboard that is stained white. That would be stupid. And if it were actually ebony, the grain of the ebony would be quite visible in close up shots, but there's no grain at all.

It has what Epiphone calls a phenolic fretboard. Which is probably a type of a very hard plastic resin that is highly resistant to staining. I've played guitars with phenolic fretboards before and they feel like they're coated in a gloss finish like a maple fretboard. Feels decent actually. And it's probably much more stable and durable than wood.

As for tone? Don't worry about it.

Destroythevoice likes this.
  9. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Well, not just purchasing the guitar for looks, there are some really good reviews on this guitar. I purchase a guitar for the overall experience, I would like it to look sweet, play sweet and sound sweet. I can usually get along with any guitar that has a nice slim taper neck. I did have an Epiphone before though, and I really just did not like the fretboard at all. Sure I can send the guitar back if I don't like it, but that is also why I have the fine people of MLP, to bounce things off of.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Who likes this.
  10. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Thank you PierM and T00DEEPBLUE, I feel much better about this purchase with what you said about the fretboard. Sweetwater though also had said that the Fretboard on the 6 string was Ebony, but the 6 string is no longer listed there and the 7 string says Phenolic. I think I will give this a shot, I definitely think it is a very nice guitar and have an empty case waiting for it.

This will be a great gift to myself for the Holidays. :cheers:

11. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

If you bought I hope you'll like it. No further comment ;) :io:

12. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Senior Member

Personally... I own the black MKH models both 6 and 7.. Probably my favorite guitars ever right now. EMGs were swapped immediately and I have nothing but love for these guitars... I thought the white ones looked SICK... My biggest turn off was the white fretboard though. I was actually hoping for a nice black ebony fretboard against all that white. I think the price is a little too high for the 6 to be honest.. But I think it will be a solid guitar otherwise. But the color won't affect your tone... Ebony fretboards are already dyed black as it is. No worries.. It's essentially what Fender does with their tele necks.. They use a material to coat the neck to preserve it.