Master Built One Offs.......How do I determine a value? Thanks.

Discussion in 'Fender' started by d1 guy, Nov 2, 2017.

1. d1 guy

d1 guy Premium Member

Hi guys. I purchased a Fender Telecaster from a collector in Nashville a couple of years ago. He played for the Opry house band and was a self proclaimed "world traveler". Anyways, He ordered this guitar from Fender through Grunn Guitars back in January of 2004. He specifically asked that Yuriy Shishkov be the builder. It wasnt until the middle of June when the guitar finally arrived. It's a Lake Placid Blue heavy relic Telecaster with 3 pickups. The middle pickup being a soapbar like a p90. The other two are the standard telecaster pickups. This is a glorious instrument and the sole reason for the gentleman selling me the guitar in the first place was because it was too grungy to his liking. I play mostly rock and roll, so it is right up my ally. Ever heard a telecaster that wasnt twangy? I hadnt either until this one came along. Even in the neck and bridge position, it sounds thick and bluesy. Anyways, I have the original case, case candy, certificate, bridge plate, etc that came with it new. The only thing that puzzled me was that there was no serial number on the neck plate......actually nothing on the neck plate. I called fender and they verified this to be the case for this guitar stating that Yuriy's earlier models that were one offs only had the serial number on the neck. They verified the three pickup special order from Grunn in Lake Placid Blue. This guitar sat off stage at the opry for years with this guys hat and an overnight leather bag. The hat was a one off as well called "the unforgiven drover" inscribed inside the rim. I bought the whole setup because the hat was specially made for him and the bag was a gift for the Prince of Wales from years ago.......how he ended up with it, I'll never know.

The reason I'm asking all of this is because I recently bought a piece of property and its pretty costly. I've decided to sell a few of my high end instruments. I noticed on eBay that the prices are all over the place. I have no idea what this thing is worth. I paid a lot for it.....probably more than it's worth, but I do love it and its incredibly unique. Anyways, what should I ask for it if I decide to let it go? It is quiet dear to me. Thanks so much in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tigger

tigger Senior Member

Cool guitar! (I have no idea what it would be worth though)

Just a side note: the leather label just states that the company was at some point chosen to supply leather goods to the royal family, in case you are basing the gift to the Prince of Wales statement on it..

d1 guy likes this.
  3. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

A good rule of thumb is ANY used guitar(used meaning it is not being sold to the first owner) will take a 30% hit. So by that thinking start at 70% of what it was new.
    Another way to think is it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
    Look at other builder`s similar work and what they sold for for an idea.

Malikon and d1 guy like this.
  4. d1 guy

d1 guy Premium Member

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. I wouldnt be using the bag as a selling point anyways. I just think they belong together since that's how it stayed for so long. I appreciate the input.

5. tigger

tigger Senior Member

I think selling it with the other stuff is really cool and unique and may have added value to someone.

Malikon and d1 guy like this.
  6. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

OK
    I went back and actually READ your post. LOL
    I have a habit of responding first, thinking I know what your question is. Bad habit.
    Anyway, the same advice applies. What would Fender charge you to make this guitar again?

I have an oddball Les Paul Custom. Weird serial number. It has what I swear is a Brazilian board.
    It was a "house" guitar in the early days of a Nashville club called the Bluebird Cafe.
    It was there for any musicians guesting/sitting in to use.
    Long story of how I aquired it. An odball trade. he got what he wanted and I got this when he offered.
    As far as value, beats the hell out of me. LOL

I hope this advice helps in some way.
    Best of luck to you.

d1 guy likes this.