Martin Experts - Buying advice for new D45 please

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by garybaldy, Jul 17, 2017.

1. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

My friend has decided that he is going to buy a brand new D45. (Yep, loadsa money!).
    There aren't many to view in South Wales,UK but he is arranging for a local store to have one in for him to try one day this week.
    He has asked me (someone with 20+ electrics and 2 cheap acoustics) to play it for my opinion and for him to hear someone else playing it.
    It's very exciting and a rare opportunity for me.
    I would welcome any advice from experienced people in this world of excellence - to which I have never been a part.

rogue3 likes this.
  2. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Martins come from the factory with a high "bluegrass" action so don't base your decision (or your friend's decision) to buy or not buy because of a high action. Shaving the bridge saddle down is easy and quick for the dealer tech to do.

I've played 5 or 6 new D45s over the years. They all sound good and some sound great! I have 5 Martins and bought them all because of their tone and playability over their model number.
    For example, in 1993 I went into a dealer here in Phoenix intending to buy a D41 which sold for $2299 + tax (street price) at the time. It was my going to be my first Martin.
    This dealer had (1) D41 at the time. I played it and it sounded pretty good but I wasn't totally sold on the guitar. I had the salesman set up 6 guitar stands and get down the D41, (2) HD28s, a D35, and (2) D28s. After going back and forth among the guitars over a period of an hour or so, I walked out with the D35. Why? Because it sounded the best to me. I paid $1580 (with tax) and was a very happy camper. I still have this guitar and it sounds incredible.

Fast forward to 2006....I had some money burning a hole in my pocket and decided I wanted to finally get a "pearly" Martin. I decided on a D42. I went to this same dealer because they had a D42 among their Martins. Once again, the D42 sounded good (but not great). I looked over at the Martin wall and saw a D41 Special (a model I was not familiar with). It looked almost identical to the D42 and was $600 cheaper.
    So.......I played the D41 Special and it was love at first strum!

I walked out the door with that D41 and still have it. :dude:

garybaldy and The_Nuge like this.
  3. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

Pearl tops are fine guitars indeed....

garybaldy likes this.
  4. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

My next Acoustic over $1K will be a D-15M. And I will play many until the songbird of the bunch reveals herself. When you're patient, it goes so much better! Like THDNUT said above...... Bring your discerning ear and let it rule. And if nothing overwhelms you. NEXT! No matter what price range, there are the few special ones, many in the middle and a bunch at the bottom. Perfection is no accident and in fact, quite deliberate. Earn it! LOL

garybaldy and THDNUT like this.
  5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

IMO, I would tell him to buy a D28 Marquis and pocket the change. I have been a Martin fan since I was a teenager and the Marquis has been the most consistent Martin I've ever played. Even over the GE's.

rogue3, garybaldy and THDNUT like this.
  6. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

some Martins are great guitars, but if I were spending that kind of money I could get a couple other guitars ive really been wanting..

7. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Thanks for your advice guys.
    Unfortunately the store was all talk and can't get one for a couple of weeks.
    Anyway a bit more time to do some more research.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

As much as I love Martin's as already stated. I'm an even bigger fan of knowing that tone is in the heart, soul, and most importantly, the fingers.
    My friend is a much more talented musician than me. He can make a $99 acoustic sound like a Martin. That's not to say that quality is not important. However, one must measure how much quality is important to them as individuals.

9. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

10. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Hey Fenn, you could prolly buy that. Don't you make about $200K a year?

:D

clutchcargo likes this.
  11. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

Yummy.I'd love a D45. The cadillac of Martins! Pretty inlays.I can't imagine adding anything trying it,new Martins are consistently excellent in my limited experience.If he has the dough to blow,go for it...well worth the wait!

If you are going to play first,however, i would compare a Sitka topped Martin to an Adirondack topped Martin. I would also compare the 1-11/16" nut width vs the 1-3/4" nut width(like what's found on the D28 Marquis).That extra real estate on the fretboard is quite the treat.

Clutchcargo, mentionned the D28 Marquis. It has an Adirondack top.1-3/4" nut too.I have one.If it was down to one,and the titanic was sinking,this would be it for me.imho

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    garybaldy, THDNUT and clutchcargo like this.
  12. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

13. rcboals

rcboals Member

That is a butt ugly guitar for 119,000 It looks like something you would find from the Vietnamese seller of fine gaudy looking instruments on ebay. :)

Back to the original question you won't go wrong with a D45 so buy it unless you can get a Collings. :)

Attached Files:

garybaldy and FennRx like this.
  14. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

It's a funny old world. A lot of people (including me I'd admit) like to have Martin or Gibson on the headstock.