Marshall vs. Blackstar

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by jtyler, Nov 22, 2010.

1. jtyler

jtyler Junior Member

so I would like to complete my les paul with a bad ass amp, and I'm torn between Marshall and Blackstar. The Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and the Blackstar Series One 100 or Series One 200 to be exact.
    from my understanding Blackstar was created largely by ex-Marshall employees and people have summed it up to me as saying Blackstar is Marshall but with better effects. so if anybody has a suggestion on which would be better in their opinion it'd be much appreciated! obviously the Series One 200 would be VERY loud compared to the Vintage Modern..I simply can't decide which is better all around.

and if you have any other suggestions from either of these two companies or simply want to compare other amps from the two..go right ahead ha

laterr!:slash:

check out my band!
    BitchGypsy (new layout!) on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
    www.facebook.com/pages/BitchGypsy/182579709713

2. Drew224

Drew224 "Obvious BS Artist" V.I.P. Member

Well. Blackstar has more features. They tend to incorporate presence and resonance controls, and they have the tone shape knob. Blackstar makes a much more versatile amp. However, the Vintage Modern is just a damn fine amp. Very fat sound. Try playing both with your guitars and see how you like them.

3. GPDUSA

GPDUSA Member

The Vintage Modern is an amazing amp, especially if you love the Plexi sound. I am very privy to that sound and the Vintage Modern nails it. But if you want your amp to be more versatile and cover a wider range of tones, then I'd go with the Series One. Both amazing amps, it's just do you want verasatility or are you locked in to the Plexi-sound. Can't go wrong either way.

4. jtyler

jtyler Junior Member

5. hellraiser_666

hellraiser_666 Senior Member

would you reckon the marshall will retain its value as the years go by better than the blackstar??? that could be a interesting factor to consider :)

6. jtyler

jtyler Junior Member

indeed..considering they introduce better amps regularly (or improve/modify), resale does play a role in my decision. thanks for making my choice even tougher dude haha

7. hellraiser_666

haha, no problems mate :thumb:

8. H.E.L.Shane

H.E.L.Shane Senior Member

I got cought up in the old "which amp head" years ago and ended up with a modded ADA MP-1, a GSP 1101, and a MESA 2:90 power amp.. i've never looked back!!!

However,,,, If i WERE to buy a head, I'd seriously consider the Blackstar... Its more "Tone versitile"

9. hellraiser_666

or the good old saying "why have one when you can have two" :D

10. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Vintage Modern, in my opinion. Just seems that the Blackstar does "some" things "pretty well", and not much nailed. The Vintage Modern is lights out awesome for vintage tones and like it says, more modern hard rock. Not metal, but like anything else, throw a boost or OD of choice in the front, tweak to taste and there it is. Like anything else, try em' both. Now if you're talking the Blackstar Artisan series.........WOW thats a different story!

11. jtyler

jtyler Junior Member

Artisan is better?? :shock: enlighten me por favor!

BitchGypsy (new layout!) on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
    BitchGypsy | Facebook

12. needlespauls

Oh hell yeah. The Artisan line from Blackstar is all hand-wired on a turret-board with better construction and components. The sound might not be your deal, but like any of the others you have to try em'. The quality is staggeringly better than the others mentioned though, and the simplicity and pure tone alone might be impressive enough for you to go that route. Like the others, add a boost or an OD pedal to taste and you can do anything. PRICEY as hell though, beware lol! Check em' out!

13. chrisuk

chrisuk Senior Member

:hmm: Probably not - they are both mass produced, circuit board based amps put together in the far east. I have seen as many blackstar amps on stage recently as marshalls - mainly the handwired artisan 30. Sterophonics, supergrass, etc...

14. needlespauls

The Vintage Modern is actually made in the UK. While I agree the Artisan is a nicer amp, it is made in Korea.

15. chrisuk

chrisuk Senior Member

Didn't realise that about the Marshall - I knew all of the Blackstars are built in Korea. I agree the Artisan is a different beast though.

16. needlespauls

Yeah any of the other newer Marshall with exception of the Class 5 are not made in the UK. MA, JMD, Haze, etc.

17. hellraiser_666

jtyler, whats your style of music, looking at your price range, gosh you can go for an original jcm 800 or a lot of other goodies out there

18. jtyler

jtyler Junior Member

well honestly my style is dirty sex rock ha but that doesnt limit the genres my band and i play. thats why im reaaaaaally tryn to get my facts straight before i make a purchase.
    im playing through a Gibson Les Paul Classic, ive changed the pickups to a DiMarzio Liquifire for the neck and a Seymore Duncan Alnico II for the bridge..i do believe i jizz everytime i play it..so the sound that guitar puts out is super agressive in treble position and unbelievably..well idk what the word im looking to describe this is..warm?..fat? all i know is they arent the same, however they compliment each other wonderfully.
    give a listen to my band BitchGypsy (BitchGypsy (new layout!) on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads) and you'll hear my guitar (and unfortunately my voice lol) there. you get the idea of the sound i was/am searching for on those tracks...unfortunately we recorded our EP early this yr before i put in the new pickups and the amp i used was a 5150..not bad but i dont believe it compares with Blackstar or Marshall. so when we go back to record more i want to be prepared!
    phweeew haha damn that was a lot to type!!

:slash:

BitchGypsy | Facebook

19. needlespauls

Good tunes by the way!
    Oh, don't sell the 5150 short. It's a great amp really, just different than either the Marshall or Blackstar. The 5150 is a staple for hard rock/metal, kind of like the Roland JC120 is for clean tones and Jazz. It won't be as versatile as either the Vintage Modern Marshall or the Blackstars, but chances are it'll be better than either for hard stuff, IMO.

20. jtyler

jtyler Junior Member

thanks a lot man!..thats 4 of about 14 songs we've written..at the time that was all we had, now i wish we could go back and change the songs we recorded for our EP, the new ones are 100x better i think hah

but yea i dug the 5150..honestly id never played through one til we got there. he also had an Orange head, id never played one of those either but you had better believe i have heard the hype about them prior. i never got to really jam through it enough tho to see what it offered.

you seem to know your stuff about amps...so that being said, there is a guy i know in a band and by some fucking MIRACLE he is endorsed by MESA. his amps sound soooo good live and i know guitar gods (Petrucci) use this line..how does it compare to Blackstar/Marshalls?
    same question with Orange as well...if you dont mind sharing your knowledge ha

BitchGypsy | Facebook