marshall lead 20

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by guitar_randy, Aug 3, 2013.

1. guitar_randy

guitar_randy Senior Member

I'm not familiar can anyone here who is bring me to speed on if the marshall lead 20 is a decent quality /sounding amp for practice? I know from hearing some you tube vids that some of the newer solid state inexpensive marshall amps are crap. I am not familiar with the lead 20. Guy nearby is selling one for $125 on ebay and its from the 80's I believe. Are these like the modern small little junk amps they make or are they different,or better or what are they like? I have an old 1972 1987x tube amp for my main amp which satisfies me all night long but looking for a small practice amp that doesn't sound like a tin can or like a guitar plugged into a baboon ass. I use a little micro cube which is ok but looking for other little practice amps to add to it for practicing. Anyone familiar with the lead 20?

2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

They usually sell for double the price (as Combo)

If it were near me I'd hurry and get it....

and yes, they are good amps....

3. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

If its anything like the 80s lead 12. Its ok. Worth 125 at least.

4. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Easy enough to answer. If you plug it in and like it, it's a good amp if the price is fair. If you don't like it, it's not a good deal at any price unless you want to flip it.

5. guitar_randy

Yea I get the common sense aspect of it . I was just looking if it was one to stay away from for any obvious reasons I guess as I am not familiar with it whatsoever. If it is well known for bad qualities I wouldn't even waste my time looking into it further. Doesn't appear to be case with this from what people say.

6. guitar_randy

Thanks
    Its hard to tell what price is fair for it. I saw one sold on an auction for $43 and another site one sold for $250,both in excellent condition. I am getting more interested ,just trying to figure on what price is fair for a solid state combo amp from 1985.

7. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Can't be all that bad quality wise if the amp is thirtyish and still going.

8. guitar_randy

What a piece of 28 year old sh*t that Marshall lead 20 was. Ad said near mint condition. Maybe a 28 year old dried out nasty mint.Shorted out so bad I couldn't even try it out. So many dishonest sellers out there. Now I found a Bugera v5 for $130. Going to look at it tomorrow.THats just $5 more than the 28 year old solid state piece of crap I looked at today. Its little under 2 years old,all tube tone,built in attenuation. I see on you tube vids it does clean great. As long as it can do some overdriven tone as well I will snatch it up for that price.
    Anyone have a Bugera v5? How ya like it? How is it for overdriven tones?
    [​IMG]

9. Lampens

Lampens Senior Member

To bad. I still have a marshall 75 reverb from that area. Never use it but plugged it in some time ago and it worked flawless. Maybe some scratchy pots. Doesn't sound half bad either. Loud as ****. Used that one for years to many peoples annoyment. :)
    I think those early 80's solid state marshalls were pretty decent. Not worth a whole lot nowadays. Not like a 81 jcm 800 or something.