MARSHALL LEAD 12 anyone????!!!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by needlespauls, Jul 16, 2008.

1. heybulldog

heybulldog Banned

What is the difference between Marshall 3005 lead 12 Mini Stack and Marshall MG15 MS (Micro Stack) II Mini Stack ?

What is the Red Marshall that are shown in here? at 4: 32 ? I really like it and want to find out what it is (color in red black white all the same?) ?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffhc7l25VQ4&feature=related]YouTube - 09 ''You Could Pack In Your Day Job'' - The History Of Iron Maiden: Part 1 The Early Days[/ame]

2. heybulldog

heybulldog Banned

I just found this ... do not know much about these tiny ones, but it seems like has some good options.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqbe69nxd-U&feature=related]YouTube - Guitar Shredding: Roland Microcube vs. Vox Amplug vs. Smokey Amp[/ame]

does anybody know about this one?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gM6UsnfO9E&feature=related[/ame]

3. Telechamp

Telechamp Senior Member

I had a Lead 12 microstack back in the early 90's which I bought used for a hundred bucks. It sounded great. I still kick myself for selling it (for $250).

Wish I had kept it. A GREAT little SS Marshall... That thing had Marshall crunch and T-O-N-E out the wazoo...

[​IMG]

Deftone likes this.
  4. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

Those 80's Marshall solid states are decent sounding amps. Great with pedals, too.

5. SexyGibson

SexyGibson Senior Member

I've owned a few older Marshall SS amps and they wereall decent sounding amps. I had the Lead 12, the Reverb 12 ( same amp with the addition of reverb ), and a mid 80s VS30R Valvestate model. They were all great sounding amps for the money and get you very CLOSE to the Marshall tone, particuarlly the Valvestate line.

6. AlvisX

AlvisX Senior Member

Got this Master Lead 30 pawn shoppin for 99 bucks , put a Weber 12-65 in it

I think those 800 era solids states make great practice/ rehearsal / recording amps

BTW ,the Lead 12 is one of Mike Campbell's studio tools.......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g1RXG7R-jc]‪Alvin Youngblood Hart demonstrates Big Mama's Door‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

7. indeedido

indeedido Senior Member

Lead 12 Wall of Doom!!!!!

[​IMG]

Deftone, SteveGangi and coldsteal2 like this.
  8. JMAnz

JMAnz Senior Member

I've got a Lead 12 head that needs all of the pots replaced sitting out in the garage. Once you set a tone, it's usable (as in the pots don't scratch). I like to use it to power my talkbox. I have only have one of the 2 1x10s. 1x10 sounded quite awesome with my Blackheart Handsome Devil dimed into it, but when I got my SIBLY, I swapped out the speaker that was in it (not sure if it's stock--has a strange square shaped ceramic magnet and is stamped "Mexico") for a Celestion Greenback 10, but it sounds WAY too boxy with that speaker in there (speaker needs a bigger cab methinks). Still, the Lead 12 is a great little practice amp, and for those talk box users, try hooking up the Lead 12 to your talkbox. Little easier on the teeth, and you can't tell SS tone from tube tone once it runs through surgical tubing into your mouth and back into a microphone.

9. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

AWESOME!!!!
    Dude awesome blues/rock chops you got there!!!!
    Love the tunes on your site!
    I played a 50 watt version that was pretty sweet as well.
    I may have a line on a Lead 12 from a buddy o' mine here and mini-marshallness.

10. IIIsides2me

IIIsides2me Junior Member

HERE'S THE TRUTH about the Marshall 3005 Lead 12 Micro Stack: I have an original black one from '86. I used to use it back in the day as a direct-in to my band's mixer. It has MANY practical uses and some quirks and ONE shortcoming. If you want one you should read this before you buy it! Once you know what you've got, you won't be disappointed!

1) The one thing wrong with this amp is (drumroll pleeez) the SPEAKERS!! They may say Celestion, but the G10D25s are not right for this amp. Take this amp head and plug it into any decent speaker/cabinet and it'll blow you away. It is LOUD especially with high wattage speakers. I have an American-made Warehouse Guitar Speaker G10C 75watt and a G10C/S 75w ($65 each) in my cabs. This amp now kicks major butt in tone AND volume. It's loud enough for club gigs now - the 12watt rating is deceiving.

2) QUIRKS: Anyone who truly knows this amp has figured out how sensitive the EQ section is. It is EXTREMELY SENSITIVE! So much so that a move of 1 minute in either direction is sometimes all you need. That's why others have recommended installing 3 turn military spec pots here. The other important quirk is that the EQ and gain circuits seem to be interactive (much like a ProCo Rat), so dialing in a tone takes patience. Having great speakers helps out a lot here.

3) TONE. The Lead 12 is well known for it's JCM kinship. JCMs used clipping diodes in the pre-amp tone stack to achieve what we used to do to Plexis to get higher gain distortion. In fact, the Lead 12 makes a great Marshall distortion box when you connect it in front of your amp and use line out. IMHO it is very warm sounding, though not as much as a Rat or TubeScreamer, but in that range. This is just a sample of the versatility of this amp and why it is beloved. But like many amps, if you don't know what you have & how to use it, you're likely to slam it later on.

BOTTOM LINE: For versatility, tone for buck, and lots of cool, this amp has few peers (except the Marshall Lead 15s from the '90s). Don't believe the negatives without checking it out yourself. ;)

GibsonKramer, nick1962 and Deftone like this.
  11. Dr.Distortion

Dr.Distortion V.I.P. Member

FWIW none of the 3005s had the clipping diodes in them. The first version of the 5005 combo did. The one with no output under the lead 12 name on the front. Everything else is right on.

12. IIIsides2me

True, the 3005 employs two operational amplifiers in hi-input and bypasses one in low-put. My point was not to say that the circuitry was the same, but that Marshall took a page from all the artists that were 'pushing' their Marshall amps with solid-state distortion to increase pre-amp gain that wasn't present in the JMPs or SLPs. The JCM design effectively put electronics-based distortion in the pre-amp section, which gave the JCM 800 its kick-butt overdrive tone. The marketing of the 3005 was as a 'baby JCM'. Although it was never labeled a JCM, it was in the JCM catalog and certainly looks like a baby "JCM'.:)

Here are some tips to maximize the tone of the Lead 12:
    1) put a splitter from your guitar into BOTH inputs
    2) Starting with the amps EQ at noon, try putting a 6- or 7- band EQ in front, staying basically flat with a peak boost in the mid- to high- range and maybe a nudge up on the level. Then dial the amp EQ's bass to about 9:00, mid down a mark (notice how the harmonics and sustain really show up without increasing the distortion). We used to use a pedal known as a 'Harmonic Exciter' to get the same effect. Now the distortion has that warm, harmonically rich feel of a tube amp.

BTW, the WGS speakers in mine have tightened up and boosted the bottom end to modded-JCM or SLO territory, which was really the Achilles' Heel of this amp IMHO (no more mud). I would recommend them to anyone with a Lead 12. I chose the G10C for its power and thump and the G10C/S to balance the highs & mids. What an amazing transformation!! I've also tried this head into my 5150 2x12 (75w Sheffield 1200s), my vintage brown-label Jensen Special Design C12Rs, my Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c Jimi Hendrix Greenbacks, and a Marshall 1960 4x12 with Vintage 30s and G12M greenbacks, and it is definitely a Marshall with true Marshall growl.

Evil Mopars and Deftone like this.
  13. Dr.Distortion

Dr.Distortion V.I.P. Member

I took a 1sr series 5005 chasses and but into a 3005 box and replaced the speaker with a 10'' vintage 30... It smokes... No mud no fart. I perfer the 1st series 5005 curcut.

Deftone likes this.
  14. nutsauce

nutsauce Senior Member

Come on dude, fess up. You mugged Richard Simmons and stole his pants didn't you?

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

15. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

I'm thinking about trying some different 10" speakers with mine.

16. IIIsides2me

Changing speakers (about $140 for two WGS speakers) makes the Marshall 3005 a brand new amp with a whole new attitude. It is warmer, fuller, louder!!, more articulate, and has much more tonal range. Soft 60's plexi tones - warm & thick 70's JMP tones with that signature bite in the attack - JCM 800 metal tones -- they're all there ready to be dialed in. Oh and the cleans! They were very good, but now they're fantastic! I wish I had changed them yeeeaarrrrs ago! :laugh2:

Splitting the guitar signal into both inputs adds a dynamic layer and depth while increasing the gain. Adding an EQ in front shapes and boosts the full frequency range of the guitar and makes up for the lack of tubes. I used to think about selling mine, but now they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands hahaha. I think I'm on to what Gibbons, Trevor Rabin (Yes) and others knew about these babies.
    :slash:

17. 57Goldtop

57Goldtop Junior Member

These are fun amps but I have to let you know the Lead 20's are the same but better in every way! The speaker they come with is much better and a bigger cab and moew watts. If you like the Lead 12 you will love the Lead 20!

18. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

Can't find any of the 1st version on Ebay. I did see one of the 2nd version combos for $60 BIN. Think it is worth $60?

"Vintage Marshall Lead 12 Combo Amp from the '80s in Classic Black.

All original loaded with Celestion G10D-25 speaker.

In great shape, no rips or tears to the tolex, all original pots and knobs.

In complete working order with no issues."

[​IMG]

19. thexmadxtopxhatter

thexmadxtopxhatter Senior Member

Now that is totally 80's! The tiger print pants really make the shot

20. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0gJMSXMZvM]Marshall Lead 12 Combo amp[/ame]