MARSHALL LEAD 12 anyone????!!!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by needlespauls, Jul 16, 2008.

1. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

AWESOME!! I want one!!

2. Birdy

Birdy Senior Member

Mines UK made. Awesome little practice amp with a huge tone.
    Headphone input makes it very late night friendly....but I always
    over do it with them on and hear "waves on the beach" for most
    of the next day :D

3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I saw one of these little guys in the window of a pawn shop today, for $189, i didnt have time to check it out, but im curious about it. are they decent amps? is that a decent price?

4. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

I still have my white Microstack that I bought some 20 years ago and it's fine sounding amp - when it works. Over the years, I've had issues with the signal cutting out and it's been in the shop at least three or four times for the same problem.

Now, before you go making fun of me, let me preface this photo by telling you that this was a joke band that me, my brother and a few other guys put together at the last minute so we could play in a battle of the bands show at the local college. We all played in metal bands but, at the time, were between bands so we learned some KISS covers, wrote a few goofy originals, teased our hair up to the moon and wore as much spandex as we could round up. It was the 80's metal scene and we basically parodied ourselves; if you weren't around during that time, you won't get it.

I used to use the Microstack head as a preamp with a silverface Fender Bassman head and a 50w Marshall JCM 800 combo (that I never liked the sound of) as a speaker cabinet. A real rig for sure but it sounded great; the Bassman had a lot more balls than the JCM 800. You can see it in the photo.

[​IMG]

Kalamazuu and Deftone like this.
  5. BMS

BMS Senior Member

I use a couple in stereo for home practicing.
    [​IMG]

6. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

I have one, the mini stack. It sounded pretty darn good for an SS, but I purchased it to gut it and install a little 5 watt tube amp in the head. Sounds WAY better now but I wouldn't throw a stock one out. And BTW, I still have the original components to convert it back to SS if I so choose.

I got mine for about $175 at a pawn shop and I think the stock Celestions are GREAT!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Jason

Jason Senior Member

The stock speakers are great on those little buggers. Clean tones on the stock amp aren't mind blowing, and it's not versatile nor loud enough to play with a band. But, it does what it does very well and it looks cool.

8. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

This thread has been brought from the dead lol!!!!!!!!
    Ok, yeah still interested in this little amp after seeing this thread again lol!!! For 80's Marshall novelty alone, but also to bust out in recording and find some cool tonal recipe's for some new tunes!

9. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

For under $200, It's worth owning just as a decoration. It's a tiny Marshall stack!

10. Dr.Distortion

Dr.Distortion V.I.P. Member

Something to watch for...

I'm giving up one of my secrets here…

There are 3 versions of the 5005 Lead 12. The way you can tell them apart is the number of outputs on the front where it says "Lead 12"

The first one (the one I like) has no outputs. It is unlike the others in that it has a pair of back to back diodes making a fuzz circuit in it... :dude:
    The other two versions sound OK I guess... But the first version is a monster!
    They don’t do clean worth a darn… But turned up…
    I swapped a “no output” 5005 into a mini stack head box and replaced the speaker with a Celeston Vintage 10.
    It’s the only solid state amp I’ve ever loved… :thumb:

Don(Dr.Distortion)Williams

heybulldog likes this.
  11. kysrsoze

kysrsoze Senior Member

Do yourself a favor and buy something else. The Marshall Lead 12 was my very first guitar amp. That amp so completely sucked - HARD. It sounded awful. I didn't even like it when I was a teenager, but didn't know what else to buy at that point.

I upgraded to a Crate G60 that absolutely blew the Lead 12 away... and I the sound of the Crate was really just tolerable. I'd seriously rather play through my Micro Cube. Just cause the name "Marshall" is on it and it was maybe made in England, doesn't mean it's worth picking up. Think Rover cars, and this will give you an idea of what you're considering buying.

12. lesspaul

lesspaul Senior Member

i had a lead 12 since about 1985. I just sold it a few weeks ago on craigslist for $100. I think I only paid $50 for it used when I got it.

I always thought it sounded fantastic -- warm, smooth distortion -- for such a portable solid state amp. And plenty loud for my garage band needs. I was sad to see it go. But with apartment living in the big city and moving around a lot, the only amp it makes sense to use anymore is some kind of headphone amp. I just bought a zoom g1u (having already tried a vox amplug and then a behringer gdi21). Hope its passable.

13. Tuya Customs

Tuya Customs Senior Member

I was thinking about putting my phaez on top of these speakers and retolex them in white. Glad to hear the stock celestions are good.

14. Tuya Customs

Tuya Customs Senior Member

By the way. Are the cabs wider than 15 inches? Because my head is 14.25 inches wide.

15. maxlamenace987654321

maxlamenace987654321 Junior Member

that's the combo right? Is it correct that the first version of the head has one output in the front, and the 2 other version has 2 (headphone and output). I've never seen a Lead 12 head without an output in the front...

please enlight me!!!

16. Pinkie

Pinkie Senior Member

Mine is an 80's and it has 2 inputs Hi and Low and a line out on the front.
    Kicks ass thru a 1960 4X12.Actually sounds good thru 2 4X12's.
    The 1X12 cab sounds awesome too.
    [​IMG]

Deftone and coldsteal2 like this.
  17. Dr.Distortion

Dr.Distortion V.I.P. Member

Yes Combo. Mdl. 5005 The first version... The one that sounds the best is the one with NO output on the front...
    I have a couple of them. It has a fuzz circuit built into the preamp…
    One I put into the head box with a vintage 10 in the cab.
    The other is a stock combo.
    The >no front panel output< 5005 is what Gibbons used as a preamp on tour for the eliminator album.
    hey sound very different than the other Lead 12s.

18. ryancrossguitars

ryancrossguitars Senior Member

I have nothing bad to say about my lead 12 20 plus years from a combo it is a great amp for stereo use , the eq section adds color to any rig when used in a a/b stereo setting just buy one or two you cant go wrong .cheap price great sound. as far as billy gibbons that would not surprise me i have seen he does use small amp setups and always wondered what they may be in the custom cabinets he uses , never know due to no endorsment issues there may be a lead 12 in one of his mini stage amps , just a thought !

19. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

I just gave my old Lead 12 away today. I kind of liked it but hadn't used it much lately, and well...

I got home from visiting my cousin in the hospital and my wife and her buddy are sitting in the living room. From the back family room I hear the intro to Sweet Child of Mine. Sounds odd: it's being played fairly well, but odd.
    It's Gary, my wife's buddy's 16-year-old son playing it on my kid's $10 disposable souvenier ukelele. :shock: I'd have said the thing wasn't even tunable.

He says he wants an electric, he's got about 150 saved and he's scraping together a few more to get a "starter kit" from guitar center. He's a really good Sax/clarinet player so he's serious. But he wants to get something that could do jazz and maybe metal.

I said No, you'll take this Lead 12 for Christmas and use your 150 plus scrapings and we'll find a decent used Ibanez on Craigslist.

Then we plugged in and jammed for a bit before they went home for dinner. :thumb:

20. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

^ right on man. That's what it's all about. Cheers to you, bud.