MARSHALL LEAD 12 anyone????!!!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by needlespauls, Jul 16, 2008.

1. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

I love the little underdog amps. Bang for the buck little 5 watt tube amps (both head and combos). Fractional watt tube heads (ZVEX, Songworks, Bumbox, Cricket, etc.). Big wattage in little packages(tube or SS).
    I've been thinking about getting a low mantainance great sounding SS practice/recording amp to keep in a basement level living area. I really don't like the idea of my GA-5 down there with climate and humidity changes and stuff. So, SS it is!!! Cheap, easy, sound good at low volumes! I was thinking of the spring reverb, tremolo 15watt VOX pathfinder, Roland Micro Cube, or now a Marshall Lead 12. I've heard great things about these. These were made in England, 10" Celestion speaker (also made in England at the time), 12 watts, and very warm sounding and feeling, like a tube amp. These are about 25 to 15 years old now, fairly hard to find, but only about $100-$150 when you can find them. The construction seems to be about the same as the more expensive JCM's and what-not. Anyone every used one? Seems to be a great practice and recording combo!!

5F6-A, nick1962 and Deftone like this.
  2. needlespauls

no one? no lead 12?

3. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

Dont do it !!! They sound like ASS !!! Had one when I was just a lil dude and there are alot of better amps !!! I'd say increase the budget a little and get a small tube amp !!!

4. needlespauls

Thanks for the reply man. I actually allready have a Gibson GA-5 tube combo, which I really like. I just don't want to bring it in the downstairs living room (finished basement, dry/to humid issues, not great). Just more for something to hack around on, not worry about tubes or it being too much of value. So you didn't like the Lead 12??? I've seen so many good reviews! Clips I've heard weren't bad at all.

5. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

I had one of those when I was about 19 ...It's so small and solid state sounding !!! If you enjoy the sound of a good tube amp , You'll be disappointed by it !!

[​IMG]

6. needlespauls

Wah, rats. And its not like I'd be able to try one out at any time either. I like a couple different solid state amps that I've owned and played (older H&K's) , Roland Cube (Black Panel setting is great, you should try it), and that Vox Pathfinder 15R is intriguing. I like tubes overall the best, but I just want a cheapie that I don't have to worry about and get a versatile range of tones for practicing.

7. needlespauls

And thanks for that pic by the way!!!

8. TheWellGoodShow

TheWellGoodShow V.I.P. Member

zvex nano tube amps, are actually really really really good sounding.

9. needlespauls

Oh I know!! I saw a great demo last year and have since been a believer!! I don't have any cabs right now though, thats another issue......

10. TheWellGoodShow

TheWellGoodShow V.I.P. Member

if only i had one -_-, i love all zvex's pedals.

11. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I have one, the stock speaker sucks. I use a Vintage 10 in mine and it sounds a lot better. Rig the amp up for a output jack and run it thru a 4x12, you'll be surprised.

12. needlespauls

The stock Celestion in it sucks? hmm. Thanks for the feedback Lex. If I come across one I just might buy it for the hell of it.

13. mmcquain

mmcquain V.I.P. Member

This is actually the amp that Billy Gibbons used for My Heads In Mississippi. I have one and it is a decent practice amp. Running it into a 4x12 cabinet does make it sound a lot better. Here's mine...

[​IMG]

Here is what Vintage Guitar Magazine has to say about them:

"Lead 12: The Little Screamer - Greater distortion at low volumes was also the goal of one of the most interesting amps Marshall released in the early '80s - the model 5005 Lead 12. A 12-watt transistor practice amp with a 10" Celestion, it retailed for under $200 and for many came surprisingly close to capturing the great, warm sound of the distorted Marshall amps of years gone by. It was a favorite of many working musicians, including luminaries like Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. The Lead 12 proved to be enough of a hit with consumers that Marshall has continued to make transistor mini-amps. The '80s and early '90s saw the introduction of the tiny one-watt MS-2, the popular 3005 solidstate Micro-Stack (based on the 5005), and the 10-watt 8001 Valvestate Micro-Stack (part of a series of Marshall amps launched in '91 where all models with 40 watts or more used a 12AX7 tube in their preamps, to drive a solidstate power stage designed to sound and feel like an all-tube power amp), as well as numerous more high-powered combo amps, and even separate transistorized heads."

Quote from "The History of Marshall" by Michael Doyle

"...Naturally there are many modern Marshalls that can come close to approximating the Bluesbreaker sound but the most surprising one is the old 5005 (Lead 12) solid-state combo so beloved by Billy F Gibbons. He recorded such guitar greats as "My Head's in Mississippi" with this amp, and I am eternally in his debt for bringing it to my attention!."

14. needlespauls

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! Cool thanks for that article MM!! Awesome!! Seems like a really cool little amp!!!

15. mmcquain

mmcquain V.I.P. Member

Glad to help. It is a cool little amp - some times I just like to plug into it and jam away (no pedals or anything)... you know, back to the basics! :)

16. needlespauls

Thats all I'm doing right now with my 5 watter. It's pretty much my style of playing, half the time I only play finger-style. Wouldn't mind eventually building up more of a major rig though. For now, my living situation dictates small powered amps. I'll never throw a good SS amp out of bed! In fact I think I need one.

17. Birdy

Birdy Senior Member

My lil' red 1/2 stack sounds just fine, thnx.
    Plug in a p90 Les Paul, run it thru a greenback 4x12 and
    it is a REAL hard sound to beat. I get great tones thru the
    stock 10" Celestion equipped cab also :dude:

Plus....she's real cute :cool:

[​IMG]

18. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I still have one...I mic'd it up and ran an MXR Distortion+ in front of it, and it screamed.

I gigged with it for about a year. :D

BB

Deftone likes this.
  19. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

Man i want one of those for my bedroom just
    because it looks so dang cool!

20. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

i just sold my white mini stack, the 80's vesion ,made in the u.k.
    i've had a few , but never keep them. they sure look cool though.
    stay away from any version made anywhere else but the u.k.
    replace the speakers helps, but in the end , it is solid state ,and sounds it.
    but if your after that sound, good amp.
    i think the billy gibbons claims are false , but what do i know