Marshall Cabs

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by clutchcargo, Sep 5, 2017.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

Sorry. They are celestion G12 (75) speakers.

Kris Ford likes this.
  2. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Kris would tell you to do it! :dude:

I dumped the 75's in mine for 25 watt greenies (grey actually) and never looked back.

Kris Ford and clutchcargo like this.
  3. clutchcargo

I also found a used 1960ahw for $699. It would cost me $36 to get it shipped. You think that's a good price?

4. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I have a feeling that G12 75's are actually worth money. That might be a steal. Let's see if others weigh in on this.

5. ht-57

ht-57 Member

Sounds too good-the ahw new its 1500usd shipped w/ 2 year guarantee
    So #1 how bad is the tollex and grille cloth. or over all condition, missing hardware?
    #2 does it have the original speakers and are they operational?
    If they are not the original speakers (which are g12h 30 watt greenbacks)
    I wouldn't touch it, because for another 400 bucks or so you could get a good condition
    all original from guitar center or buy an 1960ax brand new.
    Not trying too rain on the parade, But lets say u get this thing home, u plug it in and you have 2 blown or ripped speaker cones and a cab that s beat to death, you then spend
    another 300 bucks getting speakers re-coned and hours replacing f'ed up grille cloth not to mention the frustration!
    what did u save??
    I'm a huge fan of plug it in and play man, Spend the xtra cash and go for something
    You know is gonna work!
    Ok I ranted, Get pics of this thing with the back off so u know what your gettin yourself
    into.
    BTW I use to did have 4 of those 4x12 1960a with the g12 75 and I sold them all to a studio after a while. there's a reason the 1960a is cheaper,
    back board is mdf- plastic handles and jack plate- plastic corners -light gauge wire that's fasten to speaker by way of automotive clip.
    This part is based on personal preference and experience.- for me the g12 75t is not warm sounding, It has very harsh high's, and a scooped mid. its a 300 watt cab n just didn't overdrive and compress like the gb's do with "my" rig-(see my first pic in post)

if this is what your looking for why are you bidding on a 1960a?

6. clutchcargo

I thought the 1960a had the original greenbacks that have the Marshall it's tone. The 1960ahw is at guitar center.

7. clutchcargo

The 1960ahw is listed in good condition. Loaded with 30watt celestion greenbacks. $699.99 and $36 for shipping.

8. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

If you have a local GC, maybe you can have it shipped there and check it out before accepting it. Guitar Center usually has a good return policy, though I'm not sure if it is the same for used equipment.

If the 1960AHW is in decent shape with the correct speakers, $800 off would make me look at it hard if that was the tone I was looking for.

9. clutchcargo

IMG_4952.JPG image4.png image1.png image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

This is a Marshall 4x12 AVT Slant cab. The guy wants $100.

What do you guys think? I know it's MDF but I could always tear it apart for a template to build my own cabinets. I've never seen those speakers before. The inside looks clean though and the outside looks clean except for one scratch on the top of the Tolex.

Attached Files:

10. ht-57

ht-57 Member

My thought is I wouldn't waste my time with it.To each his own, thats cool if thats what u r into- there's a reason its $100,you get what you pay for- u said u were looking for a specific sound, but it seems like u want to be a cabniet builder!
    @ the end of the day if it makes
    YOU happy that's all that matters
    Enjoy man! Let us know what ya
    End up doing

clutchcargo likes this.
  11. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I ran a G12H30 loaded '76 1982 A cab for years..I then got 2 full stacks with G12T-75s and they were it for me..though I use full on per-amp distortion that I boost..and these hold up very well..zero mush or flab..and add the aggressive classic metal tone I like..BUT I can also get a classic hard rock tone from them as well. Mine really aren't that scooped sounding either, and I have quads from each era, from first year '84s, a '93 set, an '01 and 2010 set.
    SO much that I sold my G12H30 loaded cab and haven't found myself missing it at all..

Hell for a hundred bucks, you could do worse.

ht-57 and clutchcargo like this.
  12. clutchcargo

I like your comments and challenging posts ht-57. They do help me think about my priorities.

Woodworking is a small hobby of mine that I enjoy when I have extra time. But more and more these days I have less extra time. And the thing that makes me most happy is playing and practicing guitar in order to become the best player I can before the dirt nap. Maybe one day I'll build a cabinet. But right now I just want to plug and play the tones in my head.

I'm having the 1960ahw shipped to my local guitar center in order to get a better look and inspection of it. As well as play through it before I make a final decision on buying it.
    My head won't be complete for another 2 months so I have plenty of time to think things through. You all have been extremely helpful with this whole amp thing. If the 1960ahw sounds like what I hear in my head I'll probably buy it and call it a day.

As for the $100 cab, that just might be wasted money I could be spending on patch cords, strings, or even toward the 1960ahw. Not to mention driving and hauling it back to my house.

Kris Ford likes this.
  13. ht-57

ht-57 Member

I hear ya kris I played thru em for
    Years, then my tastes changed,
    Or more likley after 17 yrs of
    Touring I'm effin deaf!
    @ clutch that sir is a gr8
    Way to go, you will definitely
    Find the "one" by doing that!

Kris Ford and clutchcargo like this.
  14. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

G12H30s can also be VERY bright..great for cut with a band..but BRIGHT.

15. clutchcargo

Anyway to warm them up a bit Kris?

Kris Ford likes this.
  16. clutchcargo

I'm getting older by the second. We don't live forever and we can't take it with us. Unless we build coffins large enough for all our gear. Like they did with the Pyramids.

So I said fargit, and I pulled the trigger on a Marshall slanted 1960 ahw, brand spanking new and should be here by Saturday. Now it's just a wait for the head build and I'm on my way. I obviously couldn't play it but they have a good return policy. So that's that. Case closed.

Thank you everyone for your comments, and help along this thread. I don't know what I would do without this place. I'd certainly have to be less lazy. But all you guys seriously frigging ROCK! I was so blown away by the help on here and in many of my other threads I bought a premium membership. It's weird with no ads. Loving it.

Kris Ford and Rhust like this.
  17. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I could have dreamed it, but Mesa also used to make a vertical slant 2x12... just adding an option. you can do a lot worse in life than a mesa cab :)

I've also seen great deals on v30 loaded Orange 2x12 diagonal cabs... not slant, but I love the smaller form factor of the diagonal 2x12... the JimRoot terror cab was like this... 2 v30s, small form factor. black, classy

clutchcargo likes this.
  18. clutchcargo

Already pulled the trigger on the 1960ahw. Done deal.

Kris Ford likes this.
  19. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I should have read the whole thing, my bad

clutchcargo likes this.
  20. clutchcargo

No worries.