Marshall Cabs

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by clutchcargo, Sep 5, 2017.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

What would you guys recommend based on your ears and experience as far as amp cabinets go. I'm specifically looking for a Marshall slanted cab but I'm also open too other cabinets as well. And speakers? What the hell are those things? Lol. A lot to choose from and I'm a total noob.
    Would these cabinets be cheaper to build one? Is the tolex and all the fancy fixings really necessary?
    I'm pretty handy with a tape and drill driver. I don't know about dove tail jointing though, or wrapping tolex and grill cloth.

All recommendations welcomed.

Thanks in advance
    TK

2. clutchcargo

By the way, I'm thinking 2x12 should do nicely.

3. chunktone

chunktone Member

I personally prefer Celestion Vintage 30's. ymmv

4. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

What amp are you planning to us? I built a 2 X 12 cab and put two 8 ohm Vintage 30's wired in series. That is 16 ohms and 120 watts. I run my JCM800's and Plexi through it. Been using it for years with no problems. It's much lighter and smaller than my Marshall 4 X 12 and it fits easily in my car for gigs and rehearsals.

RAG7890 and clutchcargo like this.
  5. clutchcargo

A 50 watt 1987 plexi clone.

6. clutchcargo

I'll add that I don't play out. So that baby is going to be planted in my music room until they come get my dead body. Then my wife can worry about how she's going to get rid of it. :thumbs:

7. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

If you're not going to build, check out Avatar for cabs. It is much cheaper to build and you can probably build your own cabinet for about 50 bucks and that includes tolex and grill cloth. Speakers are extra of course. I used solid pine with finger joints. You don't need tolex and some of the other extras if you are going to use it at home, you can just lacquer it and it will look great. However, you will need grill cloth. There has to be some YouTube videos on how to build speaker cabinets that you could watch for some ideas

Rhust and clutchcargo like this.
  8. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Here's mine with Fender hardware.
    fullsizeoutput_53c.jpeg

9. clutchcargo

What kind of speakers do you personally like? Are there any specific ones to stay away from? I kind of like the idea of the bare wood showing with a nice dark stain. Could give it some nice character.

10. clutchcargo

11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Vintage 30's give a more modern tone.

Greenback style speakers give more 60's and 70's rock tones.

If it is a faithful and good sounding 1987 plexi clone, I'd go for greenbacks.

If you prefer 80's/90's/or 2000's metal or hard rock, go with V30's.

Weber, Scumback, and WGS make some great sounding greenback style speakers.

12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

FWIW-I use a pair of vintage 25 watt Pulsonic greybacks (greenbacks) in a 212 1936 JCM800 cabinet with my 50 watt Marshall.

13. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Craigslist a 1960A..
    What style of music do you play?
    Speakers can add their own color sometimes..if you dig harder rock, the G12T-75s will treat you right. You like 80s? They are the sound of the mid to late 80's for sure. AND can handle 300 watts.
    Classic rock, maybe find a 1960BX..with 25 watt Greenbacks..that's the late 60's/70's sound. Handles 100 watts, so safe for your 1987...dimed.

IF you don't have to move it constantly..by all means reward yourself with a 4-12! Hell yes you want a 4-12..do you wanna hear what that 50 watter REALLY sounds like?:naughty:

ht-57 and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  14. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Mike, I was typing when you posted..look how similar our response are!

mdubya and ht-57 like this.
  15. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

If I were going to build one today, I'd use 1/2" birch ply, lots of bracing (to keep the weight down but keep the cabinet stiff). Finger joints are unimportant. I'd use Loctite Premium PL glue (and a few brads to hold things in place while the glue is setting up). It's stronger than the wood it holds together and it's airtight. I like broken-in V30's for traditional tube amps, I'd use a metal grill on the front, a pair of 16 ohm speakers to produce an 8 ohm cabinet, and I'd finish it in either Duratex by Acrytech (a textured, rubberized paint used by most Pro Audio builders) or in LineX (I've done this before, and it's brutal stuff), both of which are available in a wide range of colors. Tolex these days is nonsense.

clutchcargo likes this.
  16. clutchcargo

They all sound like great options guys. Thank you very much for the time to write up the responses. I love The Van Halen tone of the 80's, but I also love 60's and 70's. I think if I'm going to buy two speakers I'd rather buy them used and broken in but still in good condition.
    I think building the cab is what I'm going to do. Now I just need a link to a materials list and a schematic. I have about a 2 month wait for the amp so I have plenty of time to experiment with building the cab. It's measure once and cut twice right? :doh:

17. clutchcargo

I'll most likely be attempting to trade my Vox ac15c1 for a set of double cream Wizz pickups which I'm gassing for big time. Along with a set of aged nickel Grover tuners. Or just sell the amp and buy with cash.

That's another thing I'm wanting to change out on my R8. I'm still working on trying to get the very small razor blade marks off of the binding from rolling the fretboard. It's not noticeable when playing but my OCD sees it. Even though I'm a fan of heavily aged guitars. I hate the anxiety of a brand new Guitar and worrying about bumps and dings.

18. ht-57

ht-57 Member

@ what kris ford said! The only thing I would offer is step it up to a 1960 AHW
    30 watt greenbacks -120w -no worries if u wanna crank it- metal handles- all birch cab
    its was made for a 1959slp
    IMG_3485 a.jpg

Kris Ford and clutchcargo like this.
  19. clutchcargo

What would be the tonal differences between the Celestion Greenbacks and the Creambacks. And to make it even more confusing they have different model number for each. Like Heritage series etc.

20. clutchcargo

I really like that slant style Marshall cab. That's right about what I'm looking for in the cab. Just not sure about the speakers.

Kris Ford likes this.