Marshall Astoria Custom issue please help

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by roses, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

I had to send my new Astoria Custom combo back the the local Marshall repair center (new set of KT66's). Glad that I did and that I kept the amp. It's becoming one of my favorite and most used amps.

Get that amp fixed under warranty or replace the second time.

2. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

They sent a lemon with a lemon... How did those pass through QC especially the one with the wobbly socket?

bulletproof likes this.
  3. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

:wtf: Brother,if it were me,I would get my money back and maybe see about getting a custom amp. Then there amps are kinda pricey and for that money,none and I mean none of this should have happened.

Gridlock likes this.
  4. LPPILOT

LPPILOT Senior Member

Sounds like my old college popcorn popper .

send it back . Paid too much settle for defective item like that.

5. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Member

Marshall amps and British workmanship sure ain't what they used to be. The Astoria seems to be an amp made up of overstocked parts in a posh suit, then overpriced to give the impression of high quality....They do sound good, when they are working properly and the heads are better than the poorly designed, very heavy combos. The KT66's in my Astoria Dual were from 2007. I'm keeping it, but more out of it being a curio rather than anything else.
    The only good thing about the design is cathode biasing which means the amp will work with any octal based tube without alterations and without having to re-bias.
    Check out the official Astoria thread on the Marshall Forum if you are interested in more info as well as demos. http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/the-official-marshall-astoria-information-thread.96632/
    :cheers2:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    bulletproof likes this.
  6. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Weather there is a socket issue or not it clear to me Marshall got hit with a bad batch of tubes they are installing in amps and causing themselves headaches. Even if you get another replacement do yourself a favor and get a good set of gold lions or Mullard tubes to replace the low quality tubes they are shipping with. Also if you get them pre screened for noise and microphonic issues you'll be happy but Marshall dropped the ball on this deal. You like the amp but the tubes are letting you down

Gridlock likes this.
  7. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

I love my Astoria Custom. The amp had a bad set of tubes in it when I bought the amp. Had the amp fixed under warranty, and I am glad that I did not give up on the amp.

Definitely going to upgrade my tube set soon.