Marshall Astoria Custom issue please help

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by roses, Jul 13, 2017.

1. roses

roses Member

Hi there, I was hoping someone could help me identify a problem that has developed with my amp. I purchased a Marshall Astoria Custom 4 weeks ago and it was great at first. But yesterday When I first turned it on a noticed the hum was a lot louder than before and then it made a couple of popping sounds. now when I play certain notes I'm getting a terrible buzzing sound. I've tried several different leads and guitars to ensure the issue is with the amp. the hum and popping sounds happen even when no guitar is plugged in. Unfortunately I don't really have any experience dealing with amp issues. I've attached a couple of youtube vids for examples. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have messaged marshall and they just told me to return it to the retailer for an exchange or refund but the retailer no longer has the amp in stock so I don't know if they can do an exchange and I don't really want a refund because I loved how the amp sounded before today.

2. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Good heavens,brother....to my ears,that sounds like you have a wire or two cold soldered. Im no amp expert,but,we have many on here who are. Im sure one (or more )will chime in. In the meantime,do you have a reliable amp tech in your area?

3. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Sorry I can't be of any help. I just bought a new HW Marshall myself so this is kind of scary for me to hear. I will be watching here to see how you make out. Please let us know what it was. Thanks and good luck.

4. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

I just bought another HW Marshall, also an Astoria Custom Classic.

I would reseat all the tubes, maybe swap around some preamp tubes (small tubes) to see if the hum goes away. It may also be a bad tube.

If not an easy fix, a trip to a good tech may be in order.

I bought my amp new, but heavily discounted.

The store's return policy does not apply since my Astoria combo was a close out special, but we do both have the Marshall factory warranty if it comes down to that.

Hopefully you have an authorize Marshall repair tech near you.

Good luck to you (& to me).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    bulletproof likes this.
  5. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

The first video sounds like the tubes werent seated properly to the socket....2nd video sounds like a bad preamp tube....ive had that same noise with a JJ... start rolling some tubes in there to see if it goes away...

Gridlock likes this.
  6. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Bad pre amp tube or dirty socket

7. roses

roses Member

cheers guys. I'm thinking/hoping it's just the tubes/sockets as well but I messaged the shop to see whether they recommended I try changing the preamps In case it would affect my warranty or anything with it being brand new and they've jus asked me to return it to them for inspection so theyve arranged a courier to collect it next week. Hopefully they can sort it quickly because the amp was sounding amazing to begin with.

bulletproof likes this.
  8. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Good to hear. Please come back and let us know what it was. Thanks.

9. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

Replacing tubes shouldn't affect your warranty, unless you're completely tampering with the circuit...

bulletproof likes this.
  10. roses

roses Member

I was kinda hoping they would send me some replacement tubes to try first before having to send it all the way back to them but guess not.

bulletproof likes this.
  11. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

For under $20 per tube, if I did not have any spare preamp tubes, I would buy one or two and swap them myself before shipping the amp and risking any more damage.

I know the first thing that I'm doing with my new Astoria combo when I get some free time, is to remove that "lawyer avoidance" sheet metal grill from my amp so that I can readily get to the amp's tubes.

bulletproof likes this.
  12. bulletproof

Kinda sucks you have to ship it back,but,kinda good that they are taking care of you,brother. Keep us updated....

13. roses

roses Member

The store asked me not to do anything to it and return it to them. with how much the amp cost Im happy to jus let them deal with it and if necessary exchange it for another.

bulletproof and Gridlock like this.
  14. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Or better yet, if you have the patience, demand to have that amp fixed and returned to you. After all it is your amp now. I say that because I heard long ago that when an amp has to go back to the manufacture for repair they really go through it.

Gridlock likes this.
  15. LPPILOT

LPPILOT Senior Member

Everytime that thing is shipped it could develop a new problem .

Gridlock likes this.
  16. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Just with the tubes thing - it might be worth having a few nice ones hanging about anyhow so you can play around with swapping.
    Although that amp seems a bit nicer and maybe more effort is made at the factory, generally mass production amps come with physically robust rather than nice sounding tubes. And in my experience they can also be quite inconsistent tonally.

17. roses

roses Member

I do have some spare tubes. Though no kt66's. I only wanted the seller to send me some replacement tubes to try because well the amp is brand new, tubes come with a 3 month warranty so if they were faulty after a couple of weeks I shouldn't have to replace them myself. Anyway I do suspect there is more than a tube issue. I spent some more time with it and there seems to be some sort of connection issue around the inputs as well. I notied if you gently move the end of a guitar lead in either the hi or lo inputs there is an awful amount of crackling and fizzing sounds and they keep happening after you remove the lead. I also posted about this on the marshall roadhouse forum and Steve Dawson who designed the amp before he left marshall has advised me there are reported instances of ground points on the PCB being too loose so I think that could be part of the issue.

bulletproof likes this.
  18. bulletproof

Bingo

19. roses

roses Member

So an update on the status of this. The amp was sent back to Marshall and they sent a replacement. As soon as I tried it out I noticed instantly it had a problem with hissing and popping sounds on any rung out notes. I took it out to check the tubes and noticed straight away that one of the kt66's had its glass separated from its base and was wobbling about freely, I then try tapping them with a pencil and noticed the other kt66 was causing the popping sounds. I contacted the vendor and Marshall sent me out two new tubes. Put them in today and all the popping and hissing went away. Hurray finally solved... or so I thought.... played the amp for about an hour or so and it was great...but then to my horror... heard a popping sound and next thing I know the problems right back.. tried tapping the tubes again with a pencil and now both of the new power tubes are causing popping sounds.... how can this amp be burning through tubes so quickly... getting really dismayed with the whole thing, don't know what to do from here.

20. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Those tubes sound horrible. The one on the right looks very loose, might be a bad socket. I can't believe they sent a replacement amp with so many issues. You will have to contact them again, the amp is unplayable. And I know that you spent good money on that amplifier.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    bulletproof likes this.