Market value for 1972-1973 LP Custom

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by djem, Oct 25, 2009.

1. djem

djem Senior Member

I've got the bug again and would like to get a concensus on what you guys think an all original '72-'73 LP Custom in black would be worth. Not looking for a mint axe, nor am I looking to get one with a repaired neck break.

Just an all original seasoned with a few dings that I could play.

You feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Last

Last The Cleaner Premium Member

There's a '72 on the bay Item #150382179237 going @ $2,500.00 with less than 24 hours left. :hmm:

3. zeppelin101

zeppelin101 Senior Member

like 3000?

4. djem

djem Senior Member

Please, and sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm looking to buy. And the one I'm looking at has embossed pickup covers ;)

This shop wants 4k for the '72 and I'm thinking that's high. It also come with an original case.

5. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

The 2009 Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide says $3600-$4200 for a '72, and $2,800-$3,500 for a '73 - excellent condition. Of course, a 1958-60 goes for $100K !!!

6. Jupa

Jupa Senior Member

Those prices are rarely what people actually pay. I'd offer the shop $2,500 if you really like the guitar. If not, I'm sure you could find something just as good or better for less money if you look in the right places and are patient.

7. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I think that it is "worth" something in the 3's. $3.5 on average - a clean one maybe $4k or a bit more, a "user" more like $3-3.5.

8. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

In fact, that's what Alan Greenwood says at the intro of the guide...his are fair estimates of value for an instrument in excellent condition and not adjusted for a varying economy. The market is what the market is...

9. Last

:rolleyes:

Bubble?

The only bubble you broke was me thinking you actually wanted any help to begin with. :)

10. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

11. djem

djem Senior Member

I did, and still do want help with this. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't you suggest with your "Hmmmm?" smily that my original question was related to an eBay auction? If so, that just isn't a cool thing to do and takes away from the thread and all those who actually are trying to give me an idea on what fair market value for a pre-74 LP Custom actually is.

12. djem

djem Senior Member

Back on track here.....

The '72 I'm looking at is this one:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has some wear, but is 100% original with an original case in 8/10 condition by the shop that has it on consignment. They want $3999 for it which I think is a little too pricy. I really like the look of this thing and have a chance on playing it, but I really don't want to go and see it without $$ in pocket just in case I really dig it. How low could I go for this axe? I'm thinking maybe $3,600 - $3,750.

Thanks for the comments so far.

13. Last

Not @ all. Obviously a misunderstanding on both sides. I was only pointing out a current auction pricing for you. You certainly have my apologies. :thumb:

Nice looking LP~! :cool:

Love them Waffle Backs!

14. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

for sale at Twelfth Fret,huh.They are pretty decent to deal with.Best bet is to bring the full wack of coin with you, go inspect it and play it.If it is a good one and you really like it then you can at least haggle with them.Money talks.

IMO sometimes you have to pay a little more than you would like,but a good one IS worth a little extra in the long run.

The asking price is not out of whack with it being a '72 with the embossed covers and I see it has the ABR bridge and the waffleback tuners.

BTW... the original case SHOULD be a black with purple lining and probably the Gibson logo in white on top of case.

15. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

I paid $3000.00 U.S. for my `71 from a forum member here. And mine is realllly relic`d. Diiiiiamn that `72 looks minty.

16. djem

djem Senior Member

No problem man and no need to apologize. Glad we cleared that up.

dj

17. djem

djem Senior Member

An update:

I lost out on the guitar I posted pics on. I'm pretty bummed out and have come to the realization that I'd really like to buy one if 'the stars align'.

If anyone has any leads on an axe that is like this one, please drop me a line.

I'm also posting a WTB ad on this forum and a couple of others to try and network to help me in my 1972 LP Custom Quest

Thanks to all for you feedback and help.

dj

18. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

hey man, I got your email but couldn't reply to it. Keep an eye on Elderly and Rumbleseat too, you never know what pops up there.

19. fstratnh

fstratnh Junior Member

BTW... the original case SHOULD be a black with purple lining and probably the Gibson logo in white on top of case.[/QUOTE]

The case color could vary. My OHC has red felt'ish material, but have seen purple in 1972 cases as well. They probably used whatever was available on the manufacturing line. Good luck with your search.

20. Callaway

Callaway Senior Member

Dude the thread is from 2009 if his search hasn't ended by now he quit looking.