Maple Top Weight

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by JUNAE9, Oct 5, 2017.

1. JUNAE9

JUNAE9 Member

Hello friends,

I'm starting the M2M project and I'm going to try to get an R0 (2017 specs) with the lowest possible weight.

I received a message from the seller saying that the Top Maple I chose could be heavier than others.

I have a question: Is there a weight difference between Figured and Plain top?

Attached Files:

2. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

May I suggest that you just start a Thread, with the appropriate title; e.g. M2M Build Advice Needed etc. & put all the questions in one place. Just a suggestion. ;) :)

Makes everyone's life a little easier rather than jumping around from Thread to Thread.

Good luck with your M2M.

:cheers2:

PierM likes this.
  3. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

IMHO you are potentially making a bad decision.

Low Weight Les Paul’s are often not that good. Too heavy isn’t great & neither is too light.

If you are anal about Light get a M2M Chambered & be done with it, or get an ES style Guitar.

My 2c FWIW.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    fretnot, KBMelb, BBD and 1 other person like this.
  4. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

In all honesty you have Burst Guitars in Atlanta that uses OG and Braz. You could probably get two for the price of an M2M.

5. jamman

jamman Premium Member

OP is not in the USA , And wants a Gibson ....
    Nothing wrong with that .... We want what we want .... His $$$ too
    please ,,what is OG ??? Original Gibson ???? I'm dense this morning ....:shock:
    :Ohno:

RAG7890 likes this.
  6. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Old Growth numb nuts. :p :D

Funny though, most old Growth probably isn’t. Most customers wouldn’t know it if they fell over it.

I bet most of the OG is not the real stuff used in the 1950’s........wrong source.

Lastly, believe it or not, you can build a great Guitar from Fijian grown Honduran.

We should rename the Historic Section the BS Section. :rofl:

7. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

.........Jeff, you mean dense, as in not ultra lightweight? :D

Cheers, Rudi.

jamman likes this.
  8. toymaker

toymaker Senior Member

OP - to your question:

- No, there is no difference in general between a block of flamed maple and a block of plain maple (assuming same species) - the flame/flecks or lack thereof are reflections of the life of the tree and the conditions it grew under (i.e minerals in the soil, rate of growth, ect) and potentially the area of the slab the wood was taken from (base versus top) - of course Eastern sugar maple (original to the '50's LPs and in general less flame/tigher flame) is slightly different than Western Big Leaf (wider flame in general - think late 80's/90's PRS top) - but the difference in weight in general between the 2 is going to be minimal (not greater than 5%).

Now to the opinion portion of this post - Do NOT put emphasis on weight. A "lighter" slab does not mean it will be a tone monster or a tone turd. It simply means that it may be lighter in the finished product. Remember - you still need a neck and tuners, all of which will effect weight as well - so there are ways to offset a heavier body. FOCUS ON BALANCE - NOT WEIGHT, a 8.9# LP balanced is much more enjoyable to me than an 8# model that someone put Grovers on for example - making it unbalanced.

I get this is a major purchase, and you want it to be perfect. To that end, I would strongly suggest seeking the advice of the expertise of the builders. They cannot tell you what you will like/wont like - but they can make suggestions. Based on your question - you are not a professional luthier (again, no shame in that - I am not either and its good to know your limits BEFORE going in and spending a ton of money on something) and your doing the right thing in seeking advice - a great source of that is going to be the builders themselves. MLPF'er's can give opinion and some great advice - but nothing beats pro-knowledge.

If your going outside of "G" for a custom build - ask questions, lots of them - if the builder cant give you satisfactory answers - move on. There are literally a ton of great builders out there who cannot put a "G" headstock on their product. Does not make them bad, just makes them less well known to the public. "Known" names will have a 2-5 year wait list probably and will charge more, but plenty of solid builders who can use whatever wood you like and won't charge 5 figures for a build. Put resale aside - this is a custom build and even a "G" brand build will not hold 50% of its resale tomorrow - think of it this way - if you paid half for the guitar from a private builder - if you recover ANYTHING at resale time, its a bonus from what you would have seen on a M2M bought from "G" with that 50% haircut between what you paid and what you recover.

Check the luthier section here and some other forums too - lots of good reading. BOL on the build.

rockinlespaul likes this.
  9. jamman

jamman Premium Member

WoW ^^^, Nice , but missing /overlooking a huge point . Since I have many different weights of LP's I can say , for each of us .... How you feel having a 9 + lb. LP hanging form your neck Is WAY different then having a sub or around and 8 Lb. LP hanging form you neck . Unfortunately , I've never had a 9 lb. + LP feel light hang around my neck (however it's balanced). If you have neck issues ,,, it's multiplied , the pain that is .... With a heavier guitar ....

For the OP , what I will say is , He wants a G .... Some want what we want . It's really that simple . not difficult to understand either . We are in the My Les Paul forum, historic section , IIRC :naughty:

Nothing wrong with well built private builders guitars , that knows what they are doing ,
    But Try and sell it ....if the need or want to becomes the issue ... The "well-Known " guys are MORE $$$ then Gibson ... And for most you loss $$ on re-sale .. So net loss /gain 0, you lose ,imo . Just a much smaller sales base who are looking for 1 . IMO harder sell .... What do I know , I'd sell my MCI , But in like 3 years (on and off) never got an offer .... that i recall ...

Offer a Gibson , at a fair to both seller and buyer ,Market price and imo you have a better chance of selling it . Even then , today it's Summer time on top of a slow market in general .

RAGS , YUP ,,hard Rock Maple :lol:

10. BBD

BBD Senior Member

+ 1

11. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

I respectfully disagree here. I've owned a sh!t ton, and I've had plenty of guitars at or ever so slightly above or below the 8lb. mark, and they were/are fantastic. I have had the at 9+ be not fantastic. I would not say the majority can classified as good or bad due to weight. My 2011 R9 is a monster at 8 lbs. flat. I have had enough of them that it's not an anomaly.

DanD and RayTorvalds like this.
  12. freebyrd 69

Where do you guys get that you lose 50% of the value on a Gibson? I saw that in another post here. If you are losing 50% on the Gibson, no matter the model, you are simply paying too much to start with....it's as simple as that. Good deals can be had through our forum sponsors here. Check them out.

rockinlespaul and mudface like this.
  13. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Or they are trying to sell their guitar to Guitar Center:laugh2:

jojo and freebyrd 69 like this.
  14. freebyrd 69

In that case, you would be right on!

15. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Sorry but how can 3 oz (delta between average kluson and grover nichel) unbulance 8Lb?

Crotch likes this.
  16. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Yes, it's not likely to turn the LP into a Mockingbird.

17. d1m1

d1m1 Senior Member

two best sounding les pauls i ever owned were 9.2 lbs and 7.9 lbs. now explain me this. of course weight is "affecting" tone but if we are talking about les pauls the difference between 8 lbs and 9 lbs is just over 10%. imo it is a too small difference to give it such a big influence.
    by the way, the very best lp i owned and played is the 7.9 lbs one. but that has obviously to do with many many other factors as well.

18. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Yeah Jon, I am really generalizing because we all know there are exceptions to the rule.

Having said that all of my better Historics were around the 8lb 10oz mark.

The best lighter weight ones were the CR's, my custom Singlecut & one of my Replicas ...............but each Guitar is different.

I'd just never go to great lengths to get ozs off a Guitar just for the sake of getting ozs off a Guitar.

Re the OP's question, Wood varies in weight subject to the density of each piece, regardless of Plain or Figured.

I would think the heavier the Maple Cap the brighter sounding the resultant Guitar may well turn out to be.

Cheers, Rudi

19. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

We actually had a 59 reissue contest among 13 R9s last year, this happened because some advocate for light LPs and me and another guy believe 8.9ish lb is idea weight.
    13 r9s from 1999 till 2013, including 2 Brazilian at around 7.93lbs and 8bls.
    The winner was 8.9lb Brazilian that I got from Rudi.

RAG7890 likes this.
  20. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

With all due respect, there is no such thing as an ideal weight for any type of guitar that is made of wood.

rockinlespaul, freebyrd 69 and PierM like this.