Maple fretboard and heavy metal...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Mockbel, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Hi there

I have been looking for a superstrat that can be used almost exclusively for heavy metal.. i made my mind for Jackson as i used to have one back in 90s and i really miss this guitar..

I havent seen much maple fretboards doing heavy metal.. but i spotted this Jackson MIJ 2008 DK2M .. it is in good shape but will it do the job?
    received_10155777328335850.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Sinistas

Sinistas Member

Sure will. Tonally, maple isn't terribly off from ebony.

3. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Yes. That is a very nice guitar. As far as I am concerned, it is one of the LAST "quality" Jackson imports. It is probably the best one you have asked about so far. I would get it.

Mockbel likes this.
  4. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

I'm starting to really dig the 80s superstrat look all over again. I say go for it.

5. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Should sound brighter than bright.

6. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Yes... but seems like I will pass on it. Seller is asking too much (more than $500)... I see this guitar sold on eBay for less than $350

With my concern about the maple FB (which I may be wrong with), I don't think I will fight for it... I threw the seller an offer and waiting..

7. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

nothing wrong with the maple fretboard for metal.

20170616_174228.jpg
    mine is 2005, used this when we jammed pantera style tunes.. this thing is a ripper. even the jb sounds epic in theere.

Kris Ford likes this.
  8. guidothepimmp

if you can find some older model series charvels, those things are bullet proof and can be had for cheap.

they sound like what you after

20160717_114534.jpg

Mockbel likes this.
  9. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I respect Charvel guitars big time but I have been always seeing them as hard rock more than heavy metal... most of them are even 22 frets not 24
    on another note, they are absolutely rare in Egypt !

10. mmd

mmd Senior Member

that's too bad. it's a killer guitar. I wouldn't be concerned with the maple. I rocked a Jackson PC-1 (maple neck, maple fretboard, quilted maple top) for 10 years doing metal. It got the job done with NO problem.

[​IMG]

guidothepimmp and Mockbel like this.
  11. guidothepimmp

those pc 1 guitars are great.. beaut

mmd likes this.
  12. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Thanks. Yeah, it REALLY came alive after I removed the sustainer. It was always a good instrument, but I could ALWAYS hear something distorting the tone on the low end. I kept swapping bridge pickups to eliminate it. After going through 4-5 pickups I decided to pull the sustainer. I never used it and it sucks as a neck pickup. When I pulled all of that 18v active junk (and, BTW, the sustainer was not broken - it functioned perfectly well. A Jackson certified tech checked it out) I rewired the guitar in a VERY simple way:

• Volume
    • 3-way blade switch
    • bridge humbucker (SD JB)
    • neck single coil (DiMarzio HS3)
    The "middle pickup" was an old Squier pup that I clipped the wires off and ran electrical tape over the pole-pieces before putting the cover back on.

Those mods turned it into a FEROCIOUS instrument. It was hard to decide to make the mods - it was my first expensive guitar, lol. But it played SOOOO perfectly that I wanted to make it sound as awesome as possible. I succeeded!! I eventually ordered a Custom Shop version that was even more straight forward:

[​IMG]

This guitar was spec'd with the PC-1 body size/shape (Dinky) and neck profile (HUGE). Where I varied the specs?

• Maple body (inspired by the Lynch Kamikaze)
    • Pau Ferro fretboard
    • Dots
    • Single humbucker (SD Custom/Custom)
    • Charvel logo (with a Jackson neck plate)
    • 250K volume pot
    The guitar was Snow White with a matching headstock. It was a TOTAL tone machine. I had it set-up in Drop D from the factory. This and the Solar PC-1 were my main gigging guitars for a decade!!

guidothepimmp and Mockbel like this.
  13. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Hey mmd... your posts and pics are pushing me hard to get this red Dinky !!!!!!!!!!!

mmd likes this.
  14. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHA, cool!!

Seriously though...I know you are looking for the Japanese Professional from the early 90s. We have talked about a few of these different Jacksons for a while. Of the ones you have come across, this DK2M is he best you have shown. If it comes down to trying to score one at the best price, be aware that there were a couple of versions. I have been out of the Jackson world for a while now, but I seem to remember a DK2M with the Jackson JT580LP bridge and real Duncans. Likewise, I remember one with the 580LP bridge and Duncan Designed pickups. The one you showed appears to have the Floyd Special and the real Duncan JB/59 pickups. While some guys like the JT580LP, what I see as a BONUS to having the Floyd Special (which I have used and find NO issue with) is that the bridge rout is CORRECT for swapping to a German Made Floyd if that's an upgrade you want to make. While you CAN swap an OFR into a 580 bridge rout, it will always have the extra angles routed to fit the 580LP bridge plate.

Just some food for thought....

guidothepimmp likes this.
  15. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

This one is 2008... the bridge reads Jackson, licensed under bla bla bla

received_10155777328090850.jpeg

16. mmd

mmd Senior Member

OHHHH, darn...it's a JT580LP :( It's not a BAD bridge, and many people use them to GREAT effect - it's just not one I have ever been able to get along with. On the flip side, a couple of my death metal friends (in internationally known bands - I don't like to name drop) have and sometimes still use a JT580LP bridge with no issue....

Mockbel likes this.
  17. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Can you get Schecter in Egypt? Their new Sun Valley Super Shredder is a great guitar - Dinky-sized body, 24 frets, Floyd Rose, and your choice of maple or rosewood fretboard depending on body color.

mmd likes this.
  18. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Schecter is a common brand here but only low end models.. omen and demon series.. i digged the whole country for a hellraiser eith no success :(

19. Malikon

Malikon アストロモンスター V.I.P. Member

jeff loomis models always seem to have maple boards.

schecter-jeff-loomis-6-fr-146466.jpg

schecter - loomis.jpg

schecter_jeff_loomis_jlv-7_nt_left_handed_333_electric_guitar_6_.jpg

20. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Maple will not work for Metal because...Maple syrup...too sweet.
    Same with ROSEwood.
    Too sissy.
    You need a more badass-sounding wood like bubinga, or ironwood.