making a LP

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by J_Wig, Feb 23, 2008.

1. J_Wig

J_Wig Junior Member

hey im new here and am lookin for a little help on my project, i am making my own mahogany body for a les paul but am using the maple neck off of a guitar kit because i dont exactly have the tools to make my own neck. so does anyone know how that will affect the sound?

Jared

2. Roman

Roman Master Luthier V.I.P. V.I.P. Member

Think Les Paul custom
    Randy Rhoads Many customs had maple necks

3. loneguitar

loneguitar Senior Member

Hey JWig welcome aboard, there are quite a few threads on the luthiers here, great info, enjoy the group.

4. CheapMaple

CheapMaple Junior Member

Hi Jared,
    What tools do you have available and which ones are you worried about not having?

Does the "kit" mean you will be doing a bolt on?

I think the tools for neck making are relatively inexpensive compared to the price of a premade neck.
    - fret saw - $10-15, fret hammer, spokeshave ($20), radius block $10. If you have a router, then the truss rod slot is easy (or table saw).

-Rob

5. J_Wig

J_Wig Junior Member

The shop at my high school is where i will be making the body we have got most tools i think i need the finger planes might be a problem but i can figure that out

as for the kit it comes with a basswood body and everything you just assemble it but im going to use the basswood body to make a template and practice painting, ill use the hardware from the kit on the new body until i can afford better

as for the tools to the neck i could probably get that stuff but i wouldnt know where to start so until i can play around with shaping a neck ill just use the pre-made one.

Jared