Makin' my Epi's look like Gibsons

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by 20_Gauge, Jun 28, 2013.

1. 20_Gauge

20_Gauge Senior Member

I didn't really know where to put this thread so here it is.

This whole notion started yesterday when I was looking around for some inlays to put on the fretboard of my Dot & I came across a inlay store that has inlay stickers(I prefer these over the permanent ones that require drilling & stuff) & they have the Gibson style Block inlays like on the Gibson Custom ES-335 Block Inlay(Gibson.com: Gibson Custom ES-335 Block Inlay), so I thought hey why not try & make my Epi's resemble(w/ exception of the Gibson name on the headstock of course) their Gibson big brothers. Plus, they also have the Block Crown inlays & Vintage Crown headstock inlay that'll make my Epi EJ-200 resemble(minus the mustache bridge) the Gibson J-200 Studio(Gibson.com: Gibson J-200 Studio).

Does anybody know where I can get specifics on where, besides the fret #, to place the inlays on the fretboard?

1 person likes this.
  2. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

If you have a dot, just place them over the existing dot inlays. If you have a dot studio which has no inlays, use the dot markers on the edge of the fretboard.

1 person likes this.
  3. 20_Gauge

20_Gauge Senior Member

I have a Worn Dot(it's the one in my avatar) w/ no inlays. I saw the dots on the edge but wanna put the block markers(like on the Gibons 335 I referenced) on the fretboard so I don't hafta look down to reference the markers when practicing/playing in front of a mirror, plus I think black blocks would look awesome with the other black hardware.

On my Acoustic, yeah I'm just gonna place the Crowns over the existing dots.

4. Cyclave

Cyclave Senior Member

I say do inlays. Stickers will start to peel and you can feel them while playing.

It's not hard with the appropriate templates and router bit. Ask around in Luthier's Corner if you're interested in doing it right.

Inlay Templates
    Here's the easiest way. Get this and a cheap router, and boom!
    It's $50, which may not be worth it, but you can do it for all of your guitars in the future.

5. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

....or save the money and buy an Epi with inlays :naughty:

9 people like this.
  6. 20_Gauge

20_Gauge Senior Member

Gonna try these stickers, there made for guitars & the dude who makes'em is a guitarist. Prob'ly shoulda posted this initially, here are the ones I want for my Dot:Block (BP) Fret Markers Inlay Sticker Guitar.

Will bookmark that template though, in case I ever wanna try it.

7. 20_Gauge

20_Gauge Senior Member

That is another option but currently savin' $$ for a Tele. Besides couldn't really justify spendin $300+ just for a guitar w/ inlays, wish I could though haha.

8. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

Buy the stickers man! They are cheap, easy to apply and if you don't like the look, you can rid of them easily! Good luck!

2 people like this.
  9. 20_Gauge

20_Gauge Senior Member

Exactly my thinkin', vonserke! $6 a pop, not really a big loss.
    I ordered the Crown inlays & Crown headstock inlay for my EJ yesterday. Thanks man! Will post pics when I get'em on(if it looks as good as I think it will haha).

10. ShelbyDude

ShelbyDude Senior Member

This is exactly right!! Doing the inlays yourself is a sure fire way to destroy your guitar if you don't know what you're doing. Routing a chunk out of your fretboard is not something you want to do without at least a little experience.

Get the decals, apply them and enjoy your guitar!!! Maybe someday you will decide to do the inlays. Or maybe (hopefully) you will get to the point where you don't even need them anymore.

1 person likes this.
  11. LikesFirebirds

LikesFirebirds Banned

It's an Epi Dot. Just enjoy it for what it is.

When I was a teenager I had an AMC Gremlin. Tried to dress it up but it was still a Gremlin. Green too, like this one. :D

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  12. 20_Gauge

20_Gauge Senior Member

Yes, that's exactly why I'm opting for stickers! I definitely would NOT trust myself doin' any kind of routing or drilling on my fretboard(or any part of my guitar for that matter). When I first got my EJ I put some Dunlop strap loks on it & had to widen the holes(drill new ones) for the new screws & I had to get my Old Man to do it 'cause I was soo nervous I was gonna break/ruin it haha.

If I ever do though, not planning on it, I'd take it to a shop. Will prob'ly keep'em on my EJ 'cause I think those Block Crowns (hopefully)look more Gibson-ish than the standard dots it came with & I just think the black Blocks along with the black hardware on my Dot will look sweet, but yeah hopefullly one day they'll just be cosmetic & not a necessary tool for me.

13. 20_Gauge

20_Gauge Senior Member

10-4 man, I get what you're sayin.

I totally love & enjoy all of my guitars & wouldn't change the basics of'em, I prob'ly put too much into how somethin' looks but hey I am what I am haha. I know they'll always be Epi guitars, & I'm cool w/ that, but that doesn't mean I can't style'em to resemble their Gibson brothers.

P.S. - Cool Gremlin! (bet ya didn't hear that much haha)

14. icy_wind500

icy_wind500 Senior Member

These guys make great stuff!
    I have been using them awhile now, in fact they haven't peeled off for over a year.
    Here is my gs mini
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  15. 20_Gauge

20_Gauge Senior Member

Awesome! Great to hear from someone who has personally used these inlay stickers. Thanks for posting!

Your guitar looks great!

16. 20_Gauge

20_Gauge Senior Member

update:
    Thinkin' of doin' a big upgrade to my Dot & add the long style 335 pickguard(which is oh the Gibson 335 I'm lookin' to replicate). Was kinda leary of if I wanted to attempt it but I watched an instructional vid on Epi's youtube pag regarding installing this kind of 'guar & it looks simple enough to do.
    Here's the vid:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqzG0PgpguM[/ame]

17. 20_Gauge

20_Gauge Senior Member

18. Hack

Hack Senior Member

Stickers, Gremlins & even Teles.... thread is full of win.

6 people like this.
  19. 20_Gauge

20_Gauge Senior Member

what????
    oh, I get it now haha

20. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

$60 bills for a pickguard LOLZ
    measure the distance between your pickups if it matches the 2 1/4"