Make Gibson Great Again

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by FoxLifts, Feb 28, 2017.

1. FoxLifts

FoxLifts Junior Member

Howdy, everyone. Been playing Gibsons for years, but sadly, nearly every Gibson I've gotten has come with some kind of finish flaw. And let's not even start on the shameful fretwork. I have a 2002 SG standard that's about as flawless as it's gotten for me when it comes to Gibson. What made me want to join this forum, other than the fact that the Les Paul is the Holy Grail of guitars, is that I recently picked up a wonderful Les Paul Standard online. I usually never purchase a guitar online, but it was an AMS exclusive and I couldn't pass up the faded honey burst finish. I'm a huge satin/faded finish fan on all guitars. The guitar is supposedly Plek'd, but the frets are horribly uneven. This is something I'm accustomed to with Gibson, and something I'm also totally sick of.

I know the guy who owns our local Gibson shop and he and I have had this discussion several times. Today, we checked out a few Les Pauls and a few Custom Shop Les Pauls. A total of 8. All of them had uneven fretwork. The worst was the Custom Shop model to our surprise. He has a few PRS guitars and all of them were flawless. For laughs, we decided to check out some Korean-made Schecters. Both of the ones we checked were totally fine.

This introduction isn't a Gibson-bashing thread by any means. I just wanted to vent and see if anyone had similar experiences. That being said, below is my Les Paul standard 50's in satin honey burst. Has a nice chunky 50's rounded neck and has zero weight relief. Another gripe I have is the stupid circuit board Gibson has adopted. I've gutted it and put in all new wiring, CTS pots, and a switchcraft switch. Put a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. I also added GraphTec graphite saddles, Dunlop flush mount strap locks, and Sperzel locking tuners. The Gibson tuners on this particular Les Paul slipped quite a bit. A buddy of mine is currently doing the fretwork for me.

Attached Files:

2. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Senior Member

I've just received--and sent back--two Gibsons. The first one (LP Trad HP) had an area on the neck binding where it was routed a bit too much, forming an indentation on the neck where it could be seen and felt.

The second one (Midtown Deluxe) was flawless--except for a cracked neck. Hopefully, the replacement will be better.

3. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

4. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Now a days I buy mostly used.

The last new one was in 2015, which was immaculate but I only bought it because of the Pelham Blue that year, before that it was my first Les Paul. Inbetween they were all used abd were in excellent condition when I bought them, better that many new ones today.

The only exception was my classic which had its "dings and dongs" but it is my main player so it will get more "dings and dongs" :laugh2:

Anyway, welcome to MLP :welcome:

5. Croc 14

Croc 14 Member

Hi Foxlifts.

Here’s another welcome from a french newbie in this forum. Just to share with my own experience with Gibson’s instruments, I bought my LP Std 50’s style neck in 2006 in guitar shop in Caen (France, not far from the landing beaches of WWII). I was (and I am still a poor level skilled player but this story helped me increase my knowledge about luthery). The honeyburst finish of the guitar I ended up with really caught my eyes. After testing the guitar for a few minutes (I already knew it was the one I wanted for sure), I’ve been told the headstock broke before reaching the store. They had it fixed (quiet the right way according to what has been said to me from several luthiers after further inquiry). Nevertheless, I could’nt help buying this beauty anyway, especially after a 300$ discount had been granted for the “inconvenience”.

The point is that, due to my lack of experience and after closer investigation, I found some finish problems between the maple top and the body. The fretboard was buzzing and I found out that the trussrod was not even tighten. The trussrod nut and the cavity was covered with glue. I had to go for a fret leveling and still both G and B string are doing a strange metalic sound when I play ghost notes (like if the trussrod was resonating inside the neck ; hope I am clear enough, you know, my broken english…)

Anyway, like you’ve stated in your introduction, I don’t want to start any Gibson-bashing thread either. Despite what’s been said and after playing it for almost ten years from now on, I must admit I enjoy every single note I can get out of this instrument.

6. FoxLifts

FoxLifts Junior Member

Thanks for your input and the nice welcome, guys. Anyway, I hear Henry is to blame for Gibson's downward spiral. Read a lot of workers' statements that say he's a madman and a pompous jerk.

7. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

Welcome to the site, and I'm glad you're here, pal. Best guitar site on the net, over 100,000 members, and there's always somethin' poppin'. You never have to wait long to get a response. Enjoy!

One thing I'd like to caution, concerning the thread title. We don't do "political" here. Causes mucho problems, so political slogans, pictures of the POTUS, candidates, etc are not allowed.

Here's a rundown:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312752

Please click on that and give it a read, along with the board rules found in the Front Desk section, and also via link below every message box you type in. It's highlighted in yellow.

You're new here, and have no damn idea. :laugh2: We understand. So read up, enjoy the forum, and we'll see you around the board!

8. LtDave32

Oh, man.. :laugh2: That's been discussed alright. Pages of ol' Hank and his shenanigans. :laugh2:

Here's a good search tip for Henry, as well as anything else you desire:

Go to google, type in "Henry J, site=mylespaul.com" (without the quotes)

Much better way to search than our own on-site search engine. You can find any damn thing at all using that method. Great tool tip for looking up your favorite things.

Funny, all people really ever wanted was a Les Paul made they were to begin with, without circuit board wiring, fatter necks, G-force tuning, holograms that wave at you.. Seems that Henry stood in the way of that, time after time after time.

What the hell was wrong with the "R" series? R7, R8, R9, RO.. Damn good guitars. But no, he had to go fix something that wasn't broke.

9. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

While that is largely true, it is also true that Henry J saved Gibson in the 80s when it was weeks from going bankrupt and becoming just another once-proud American brand name slapped on cheap Chinese guitars.

10. LtDave32

He did. I'll give you that.

But by the teen-2000's, He went all Steve Jobs on us, right down to the clothing; grandma jeans-jacket, popped-collar Izod shirt and sneakers.

Called us "Luddites" and tried to shove "innovative" technology down our throats instead of making such changes optional.

Bad move. Bad.

11. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Funny title. Welcome!

12. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

So that's where that term came from... I had no idea!

I'm taking it as not a compliment.....