Major differences of Epiphone vs Gibson?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by mgridgaway, Apr 2, 2010.

1. RevBFGfan

RevBFGfan Junior Member

I own 06 standard plus in vintage burst (upgraded pots caps and pups) and an 09 56 goldtop (stock) I have played 4 or 5 gibsons. If you up grade the epi's with pups and electronics and have the set up done by someone who kows what they are doing, They will play better for the money than the gibsons however, this side of 15 hundred you can't beat the epi. I would love to have a gibson standard or a vos 59 but for now I get a lot of les paul satisfaction from my epis

2. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

As with everything, the law of Diminishing Marginal Returns does apply to guitars.

A properly setup Epiphone WILL play just as well as a properly set up Gibson. (in terms of action, intonation, etc.).

That is only one factor to be considered - but I'd never take that away from a nice Epiphone.

Diminishing returns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, for the record, I'm FAR from an anti-Epi snob. This is one of my favorite guitars, and I've played the hell out of it.

[​IMG]

As for the Epiphone tuner complaints... give me a break! I defy any of you to find me a set of asian Grovers which have any functional issues. They might be the highest quality part of the entire frigging guitar!

:cool:

3. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Oh, sure you can. :cool:

4. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Aside from Tokai, Burny, Edwards, Greco, Orville, Orville by Gibson, MIJ Epi, and possibly Agile, I can't think of any. :shock:

:laugh2:

5. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Sorry, I wasn't very specific. I meant to say "higher quality mahogany".:thumb:

6. Neanderpaul

Neanderpaul Senior Member

On CD, there is no difference.

Nobody can tell what was recorded with an Epi, or Gibson. Nobody.

It's a matter of personal ego. If you really need a Gibson headstock, and feel like spending the extra money. Go for it. If you just want to play guitar, buy what you want.

I'm not trying to be a jerk on this...I just think this whole over-analysis of Gibson v Epiphone is silly.

I again invoke the motorcycle analogy. The Asian manufacturers make a far superior product mechanically...If you can live with the plastic mirrors and generic accessories. If all you want to do is ride...buy a Honda VTX.

That being said..I ride Harleys. It's heavy, and bulky, and slow and expensive, and overall...a lot of money for the satisfaction of ego.

Same analogy. The Epiphone is a great guitar. It gets ALL the same tones as a Gibson. Some say even fatter mids & lows. If all you want to do is buy a great guitar that IS a Les Paul. The choice is clear.

Guitar is an extremely personal instrument. People feel a connection, and like they're defined by what they play almost as much as how they play.

Gibson/Fender/Ibanez/ EVERY manufacturer knows that emotional connection is a prime facet of marketing. One of the major facets actually. It can dictate 80% of your buying choice. People here in this forum influence so many people to spend so much more than they need to.

If all you want to do is play a Les Paul...buy the Epi. Most people wouldn't even consider the upgrades. They're ego satisfying more than anything. If you're at the point where you need to change all the guts, you shouldn't be buying off the rack anyway. Have a true Custom built for you.

My opinion. Comfortable being "wrong." Don't care. I can't play well enough to sniff cork. I may never be able to. In fact, I haven't touched ANY 6 string guitar in almost 6 months. I find myself playing Bass more often than not. It "speaks" to me these days, and perhaps it's time to pare down my guitars and focus on what I'm doing more. Who knows?

7. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

Well, let's see. Aside from woods used, methods of construction, country of manufacture, glues employed, shape of the neck, shape of the headstock, carve of the top, size and quality of fretwork, type of material used for the nut, inlays, and binding, size and quality of pots, switches, and jacks, pickups used AND placement of strap buttons, no difference at all, why? :laugh2:

:D:thumb: Just kidding. The fact is a Gibson is a Gibson, and an Epiphone is an Epiphone, because much of the above is true, but there is NO reason an Epiphone can't be an amazing guitar differences aside. I have a couple myself, and I love them and play them both on a regular basis.:dude:

8. rockstar232007

For some people, it's about monetary appreciation. Most Gibsons (with or without upgrades) will either appreciate, or at least, hold their value. Epis on the other hand, will not...no matter what you put into them. It's not necessarily what they're made from, it's where/how they're made.

IMHO:
    A Gibson is like an old Sports car...that just happens to make beautiful music.

An Epiphone is like the loner car you drive, when you Gibson/Courvette is in the shop.:thumb:

9. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Doc Premium Member

Who makes those Courvettes? Would love to see one sometime. :rolleyes:

10. dubyatf

dubyatf Senior Member

Sheesh! We had Asian Grovers - took 3 exterminators to finally get rid of them. :laugh2:

11. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

:laugh2:

As for "holding value" - this is only true of the USED Gibson market.

You buy a new Gibson, and the second you walk out the door, it has depreciated by a $$ amount just about equal to THE PRICE OF A NEW EPIPHONE! :shock:

12. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

If you need to ask, buy a knockoff and be happy!

13. rockstar232007

I meant original Courvettes, not the half-breeds around today!:thumb:

14. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

look before you buy,play a bunch of gibbys and a bunch of epis.there are dogs and heroes made by both companies and you dont want to pay gibby money for one of the not so good ones,or pay the epi price for one thats not so hot.that said,my 2004 boneyard is one of my better playing guitars.