\m/ Double forks out to Zhangbucker \m/

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Mookakian, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

A small snap of normality in the thread...I have had a few runs with the pagey 2 set now...and you sir Z-bucker have torn the page of standards here! Perfect, Suki is finally complete, mind, body & soul \m/

After a few more days i'll throw up a clip or 2 and explain why i like em so much:D, not sure how you do it but thank you David :):thumb:

2. ll IrOn CiTy ll

ll IrOn CiTy ll Banned

3. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

update...

She now lies with an A5 in the bridge (the A2 was good but I needed the bass to tighten up, bridge mag rotated 180 degrees!! OOP's :D

and an A4 in the neck (neck now has screws regular). So middle is out of phase with a boost in bridge output using the tap when out of phase for a slightly thicker, bitey oop tone. Suki is growing up.

Very...very cool :cool2:

4. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Well I had to grab an adaptor to fit the 3.5mm input so no clip yet, but these are staying right where they are \m/

[​IMG]

A few reasons for my love of davids work, No#1 he cares, truely cares...for your tone. It took some trial and error though we got there, had I listened to David more I would have got there sooner but i had to go hot wound to start, little did I know then the Zhangs had enough grunt to scare a wild boar so set 2 was just regular pagey 2 with me swapping a mag or 2 to suit.

Timeframe was great, the buckers always arrived on or before the date quoted and with a small mistake made on the first order, David over compensated by letting me keep it FOC!!!

Its hard to say what makes these handwound Zhangs so tasty, the neck tone is other worldly, I did not know tone like this existed but it does...woody and pure with lotsa syrup :thumb:

Bridge with the A5 is very dynamic and not at all thin or hollow (largely due to the naturaly wide midrange in the axe too), punchy lows and nice articulation, its all there with the vol/tone knob reacting well, making the set very user friendly ;)

Enough blabber, a few clips soon and i'll stop draging on but this is one satisfies creature, its been a loooong search, thanks again Dr Zhangbucker :dude: View attachment 63732

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  5. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

12-screw is a very, VERY under-rated humbucker format for the bridge position. That second row of screws away from the bridge is like having a built-in parametric mid in the pickup, you can dial as much mid in or out as you want just by turning them screws, and you can customize it for each string...

1 person likes this.
  6. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

I second that----------I have the O'Bucker in the neck of my tele,and when I raise the screws toward the bridge I'm able to dial in what I want.

7. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

The Bridge is very nice, ATM I have EAD raised a little more on the bridge side and GBE screws raised more on the neck side, seems to sweeten up those unwounds, I think...still experimenting as I have never had a 12 screw bridge bucker, so far im just all round impressed. The middle pos. out of phase tones are killer!

If I raise the neck side screws on the bridge bucker will I hear more midrange come through that area of the pup? I only ask as maybe ill bump the EAD screws up on the neck side. The A5 did take a little too much of that tasty stuff, thinking of trying A3 in a few weeks after i tweak some more, may not need to... now im just being curious though, personally I feel have all the tone I need...finally :D

Been a little unwell but i'll try get a clip up tomorrow :dude:

8. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The A4 might be worth trying too, or an UOA5. Both have more mids than the A5 but a tighter feel than the A2

1 person likes this.
  9. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Definately will try those, the A5 is UOA5 (should have stated that) but the A4 and A3 i am looking forward to trying, really just splitting hairs now though, im happy :D

10. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

A3's are really weak, weaker than A2. I've found they work best for neck pickups where the guitar is likely to be boomy (a semihollow for example). They are gold there, or even with jazz type pickups.

The A4 sounds like your best bet. I've found that the flat nature of these are best suited to a very lively guitar. Some pickups/guitars can be bland with A4's.

I've got a few Zhangs now.....the guitar in my avatar has some of his, and its really transformed the way it sounds.

1 person likes this.
  11. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

Yes. The neck side is under a portion of the string that has more midrange coming off it. (Farther from bridge = more mid/low freq's -- til you get to the 12th fret and then it goes back the other way as you get closer to the nut.)

12. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Interesting, I understand the low mids/bass boosting in the neck, though I have always thought the bridge side had more of the grity midrange/high midrange in her and the neck generally a more scooped tone...hence the nice sweet clean tones found in a neck bucker, thats confusing, the neck sounds so hollow in comparison. So what makes the bridge sizzle and drive that pre-amp, the mids init? :D :hmm:

Can you please elaborate a little more there for me (I understand if you are too busy, but you just poked a sleeping bear there i think :))

PS. Theres not a lot o wax on this P2 bridge (none by the looks :)), no feedback issues either :thumb:

13. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

Just take your guitar and play it unplugged. Pick the high E string very close to the bridge, then move the pick gradually -- all while still picking -- toward the neck. All will then become clear.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

There's a thought :cool2: :thumb: