Lzzy Hale - Explorer Dark (Signature Model)

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by UKPortista, Mar 2, 2018.

1. UKPortista

UKPortista Senior Member

2. Tobaccoburst83

Tobaccoburst83 Senior Member

Great Explorer. Love the block inlays...

3. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Senior Member

Pick gaurd and ring swap and you almost have a custom.
    The black neck and outer body binding is different..

4. saurudi

saurudi Member

In my Opinion they totally ruined this Guitar ! I have the white one and think it looks superb.
    Dunno why the black one has black Neck binding, when the Body features white binding ?

5. afjungemann

afjungemann Senior Member

Agreed. It seems like they've are just not able to put it all together in one guitar. If they put richlite on the white one, I would have bought it immediately. Then they do a black one with richlite but then do the wonky binding and black neck binding... that doesn't really make sense...

6. saurudi

saurudi Member

Yeah,the richlite Fingerboard doesn´t bother me at all .
    I just noticed the Body also has black Binding which doesn´t make any Sense to me. Imagine a black Les Paul Custom with overall black Binding.:dunno:

7. fretout

fretout Senior Member

The lack of fretboard binding and headstock binding makes this version look incomplete to me. Like Gibson planned to mirror her white Custom, but then ran out of time, so they just threw the neck/headstock on, unbound.

If the neck actually has BLACK binding on it, why would they do that? I suppose it would feel better to play, but aesthetically, that's just about the stupidest waste of man-hours Gibson could put into this model. "Let's have binding that no one can tell is binding...brilliant!". This conversation took place at 4:50pm on a Friday.

I'm still a little upset that HER (as in the one she owns) has binding on the headstock, but the models us mere mortals could own is suspiciously missing. It seems like there have been some massive missteps by the artist relations department as of late (the last few years). Let's see:

- Brent Hinds was supposed to have a Flying V Custom in Silverburst, but Gibson said they wouldn't offer his signature model in Silverburst, so Epiphone released it.

- James Hetfield was supposed to have an Iron Cross signature LPC, but said that the Custom Shop was too difficult to work with, so ESP released the Iron Cross instead (even though the original was a Gibson).

- Bill Kelliher had TWO signature models, but ran to ESP due to Gibson not following his "spec" on his Golden Axe

- Lzzy Hale has a signature Explorer released featuring full body, neck, and headstock binding, but the model sold to the public features no binding on the headstock.

- Lzzy Hale, Part II - same as above, but with a black Explorer, but the model sold to the public is missing the headstock binding AND the white fretboard binding.

And I know I'm missing a few others, but I see a trend...all of these signature models feature body, neck, and headstock binding, and they all basically center around a guitar (LPC, Flying V, Explorer) that features LPC aesthetics. What is so complicated about the headstock binding that it is avoided? It's part of the headstock veneer anyway, so I couldn't imagine labor is the issue.

Oh, and to add to the point of the thread, here is how the Lzzy Black Explorer should look...

[​IMG]

And not to nit-pick, but the black nut looks kinda strange. I guess Lzzy isn't into white nuts... :laugh2:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    BWOTW and afjungemann like this.
  8. afjungemann

afjungemann Senior Member

I am sure there are a couple things that play into this but a big one I would guess is that gibson released the explorer custom for $4K less than 6 months ago so they didn't want it to be the exact same as that one and sell it for $2200. That is just an assumption. Neither have headstock binding which is still a little odd.

The rest of the artists are big whiffs on Gibsons part. Why they wouldn't be more aggressive in artist retention is likely related to their own arrogance.

endial, SFK and fretout like this.
  9. saurudi

saurudi Member

We can only help ourselves, by not buying one. I for myself won´t get this incomplete Version of her very own Model .

fretout likes this.
  10. 1982jcm

1982jcm Junior Member

I've been hoping for a couple of years now on Gibson releasing this guitar. Although it would have been cool to get an exact replica I can live without the headstock binding and I ordered mine yesterday. I had one of the recently released CS Explorers but returned it due to Gibson's placement of the strap buttons and that I didn't want to drill two more holes into a $4000.00 guitar in order to be able to play it standing up. I'm now extremely glad I returned the CS since this one is being released at just over half the price.

11. UKPortista

UKPortista Senior Member

I agree that this one isn't quite as nice as the white Explorer (another guitar I'll never forgive myself for not pulling the trigger on) and the finishing touches (or lack thereof) are a point of frustration. However, there's still enough going on with this version to spark my interest. I'll certainly try to get a look at one in the flesh once they hit stores this side of the pond.

12. UKPortista

UKPortista Senior Member

This is priced at £1900 in the UK, which seems pretty good considering the Custom Shop is going for around £3500 in these parts.

Although I slightly prefer the cosmetics on the CS (mainly the white binding), the price + the slim taper neck will most likely be a deal breaker. Very tempted to pre-order...

[​IMG]

13. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Are you sure that isn't just a stock Explorer Custom with swapped-out knobs, pickguard, and pickup rings? B/C that looks like it's bound in white throughout.

14. 1982jcm

1982jcm Junior Member

That's her first ebony signature model. The CS Explorers with binding on the body don't have headstock binding either. Her first white signature model also had binding around the headstock but the white retail models did not. For some reason Gibson isn't including full binding on the retail models. Although I pre-ordered one it's still a poor decision by Gibson IMO.

15. fretout

fretout Senior Member

Yeah, unfortunately I'm sure. If you look at the Explorer Customs (the non-signature models), they are missing the headstock binding as well...just like the Lzzy Hale retail models. Lzzy's personal Explorer Custom Signature models have body/fretboard/headstock binding...which is perfect! The problem is us mere mortals cannot purchase an Ecplorer from Gibson with binding on the headstock.

To those of you that were considering purchasing the Explorer Custom, you can save nearly half off by buying the Lzzy Hale model. ;-)

16. UKPortista

UKPortista Senior Member

17. 1982jcm

1982jcm Junior Member

I received my first one about 3 weeks ago and there was a QC issue that I noticed immediately. The first one I got had a crack in the neck finish that went completely through the nitro and the paint. I really hope that someone in the plant didn't miss the crack as it was extremely noticeable. If it did slip through the QC cracks then its alarming. There was no separation between the neck and body but it was something that I wasn't satisfied with and the crack likely would have gotten worse over time. Got a replacement within a week and this guitar is killer. I dig everything about it (other than it would have been nice to have headstock binding) but overall I highly recommend it. I've gigged with it twice now and it sounds ballsy and full and its gotten a ton of compliments since I got it. I swapped the volume knobs out for gold ones with black pearloid tops and it adds a cool look to it.

UKPortista likes this.
  18. UKPortista

UKPortista Senior Member

Glad it worked out for you in the end. Any chance of a NGD thread & photos please?