LPs and Heavy Metal....Namely C# and String gauge...question

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Macronaut, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Macronaut

Macronaut Senior Member

I recently bought my 2017 LP Tribute to use as a platform for experimenting. My original intention was to try different pick ups but, I decided to go a different direction first...I think.

I want to set it up for dropped C# tuning for certain Iommi riffs and the like.

So far I'm thinking perhaps 12-54s for string gauge, so hopefully I won't need to adjust my neck much, if any. If I do this, I will likely need to re-slot my nut (I suppose I should have a spare on hand, just in case...).

I almost bought some hot pick ups instead but, it seemed to make more sense to go this route first, since I'm not a "Metal Head", it's just that I'm in the mood to express myself that way sometimes so, I don't need to go all out.

Any thoughts (specially from those that do or have done.....

Thanks ahead.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Member

Hello I've had 6strings tuned to C for years, 12-54 sounds fine, consider 13-56 as well, after that it's just a matter of preference.
    When I started to downtune, I did it with 11s, needless to say that it was very very soft setup, yet not impossible.

3. Britbender

Britbender Senior Member

11-56 is perfect for C#, depending on current setup you'll probably have to tighten the rod a nudge.

4. Pushead

Pushead Senior Member

I play .012-.056 in C standard, and .010-.052 in E standard. For C# I'd probably stick with the 12s.

5. Strobe

Strobe Junior Member

I put mine in drop-C for a long time when I was playing in a melodic death metal band (I am a metal head, but I enjoy quite a variety of music). I used the Ernie ball Skinny top / heavy bottom when I did it. That said, I tend to go for a lighter gauge of strings on my standard tuned guitars.

I think a good general rule is that for every full step you go down from standard, going up a gauge will make it feel about the same. So if you like 10's in E standard, use 12's in C standard. If you like 9's, go 11's, etc. If you want to drop the lowest string as well, consider a hybrid like the skinny top / heavy bottoms - D'addario makes a variety of NYXL's with this sort of profile.

Iommi himself played 8 gauge strings I recall reading - all tuned down to C# standard. It really comes down to taste in tension. Just remember that if you change the tension a lot, you probably have to change the guitar setup. If you change the string gauge a lot, you might need to re-cut the nut.

Keep it heavy my friend! Great guitar, enjoy!

6. Macronaut

Macronaut Senior Member

Thanks everyone for you input. This gives some things to consider.....

7. Macronaut

Macronaut Senior Member

I did read that Tony used lighter strings. However, I do have some NYXL 12/54s on hand and will start there.

I started to purchase a guitar (non LP) specifically for this purpose. I was just wondering what some here have accomplished with their LPs concerning dropped C# (or similar) for Metal type sounds/feel.

8. jojo

jojo Senior Member

Its all personal preference. I've used 10s in drop C for over 20 years.

9. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Maybe this will help in some way...

[​IMG]

10. Macronaut

Macronaut Senior Member

I do, truly appreciate the chart provided. However, I got a head ache trying to make sense of it. I suppose I need it dumbed up a bit.

DarrellV likes this.
  11. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Ha!
    I was hoping you could figure it out! :laugh2:
    We're in the same boat. :dude: